Texas A&M acceptance

I applied to Texas A&M in college station in some time in November. I am still waiting for my acceptance letter. I have a GPA of 3.7 out of 4.0, but I did really bad in SAT. I got a score of 1190. Does this mean that I got rejected or should I still have hope? P.S. I’m also Asian and really want an honest response to this. Thank you!

I think @Thelma2 can try to help answer your question.

@perieliza it isn’t set in stone factual, but Admissions office has been telling people the past day or two, that all Full and Team offers are gone. We’ve been seeing some get Gateway (summer school), PSA and also denials. Today is March 1, and many are seeing changes to their AIS this morning. Keep checking.
Super competitive year. Hopefully you’ll get an answer soon…

@perieliza What is your rank? That SAT is pretty low and I believe you have a chance for PSA. This year’s class is competitive. Kids with 1300 plus are being given PSA. It’s insane. Have a plan B and figure a way to get to TAMU if that is your end goal. Lots of help on these forums.

@perieliza Sorry I am chiming in late and back up what @52AG82 and @AggieMomhelp have said.

There is A LOT that goes into the holistic admissions process besides your test scores and rank after an academic index is determined, which is a determined GPA you would earn at TAMU. Every applicant is so much more than numbers on a page. The trouble is, there are only so many seats available for students and A&M received 4X as many applications than they do seats.
All full offers of admission to the university have been given out. Blinn Team pathway has been given out and today, we saw a second round of Gateway admissions come out. What happens from here, we do not know and we don’t know who still waiting on an admissions decision, will be offered what.
Do be prepared with a back up plan.
There is a thread on the A&M forum that talks about the PSA program. Feel free to ask questions on that page about it. If offered PSA, the spots fill quickly at some of the system schools, so you need to have an idea of what you want to do. Also, have a back up plan in the event PSA is not an offer you receive or if it is not the best course of action for you.

If your heart is set on being an Aggie, there is the PTA pathway that many majors participate[ate in. Read all of the links and feel free to ask questions. http://admissions.tamu.edu/PTA

Some students chose to attend Blinn College in Bryan or and participate in the PTA program or they attend the community college and follow the transfer course sheet for the major they want to transfer to. Here are all of the majors and their transfer course sheets. Make sure to read all of the details http://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/majors
You can also attend any university/college or community college and follow the transfer course sheet. A competitive applicant for admissions will exceed the minimum requirements.

It is a lot to read but there is some great information beginning here on the main admissions thread http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2088998-tamu-class-2023-admission-decisions-p178.html
Good luck and please ask questions you may have

Hi
Thanks for all the great info. You commented, “All full offers of admission to the university have been given out. Blinn Team pathway has been given out …”
Is this certain? And where did you find this information? Thank you again.

@Projectlady All of this information comes from the applicants who have had the message on their AIS, as found in the pages of the main admissions thread. Decisions are in their second wave of PSA as of yesterday evening. PSA is always the last to come out in the past 3 admission cycles. However, we have not seen any admissions offers to McAllen Higher Education Center yet, which is a new admissions decision as of last cycle, and it is yet to be seen if we will.
All that said, it is not uncommon in past cycles for a trickle of admission decisions after PSA has gone out. Because they are not done in batches, we usually don’t see them posted here. I know about them specifically due to the closed Aggie parent group of over 10K memebers ,who are not anonymous, and every now and then, someone will chime in who received a “late” admissions offer.

Thank you so much for all your help!

You have been so helpful to so many, and here is info for you: (would appreciate your insight into the denial AND should we be "honored to get PSA given the tough competition this year?)

Date Applied: Sept. 9 with UIN Sept 11
Major: Applied Mathematics
SAT/ACT with sub scores SAT: 1190 with Read/Write 590, Math 600 ACT: 27 with Eng 25, Math 26
Class Rank/Rank Assigned: No rank
GPA: 3.5
Admission Decision: PSA
Admission Decision Date: March 4, 2019

of AP/DC credits: Not sure

EC/Leadership etc: Eagle Scout, 4H event National qualifier and state champion, High School Rodeo event state and national qualifier, Jr. Livestock major Show Auction qualifier, active in church, strong community service, school band, school football team, Private prep school with rigorous curriculum, JROTC 4 yrs with strong leadership, Aggie JCAP weekend, parent TMI alumnus, Official campus tour

Should be parent TAMU alumnus

@Projectlady If the school doesn’t rank, A&M assigned him one. under AIS - where it lists Documents Required for Admission and has green check marks for Complete (or yellow yield sign or a red x for other statuses).It should be first on the list.

A&M did cut admissions offers this year and review applicants for full admissions. Full admissions to A&M vs the number of review applicants applications it receives is under 15%.

For fall 2018,
only 4100 full admissions offers were extended to review applicants. .

This year was slated to be less full admits. PSA is just another pathways if their major participates in the program or one they may be interested in, does. While the official number cut back won’t be known until fall, it is said to be several hundred from the 23,694 admitted to yield a freshman class less than the 2018 enrolled Freshman class of 10,759

Thank you for the info. The Class rank then, is 2nd Quarter.

@Thelma2 has anyone been ever rejected even if they got academic admission or top 10% admission?

@AnikethB - the short answer is yes. Last year 12,138 people in the 10% percent of Texas schools applied and 12,100 were admitted. That was a 99.69% admit rate - but there were still 38 students not admitted. Most likely they did not satisfy the uniform admission policy or complete the required coursework. But it could be legal reasons. I don’t see an easy way to get the data for academic admits - but I am sure it is similar.

Hey I have a 3.8 unweighted Gpa, top quarter of my class, 1350 sat score 750 math and a 600 reading. Have over 100 service hours, tons of extra corricular, Texas state robotics championship…
What are my chances of getting In to A&M mechanical engineering??

@Trappybutton12345 are you asking for next year?

@Trappybutton12345, if you’re asking for next year, you can greatly improve your prospects by meeting the Academic Admit standards. If you’re a Junior, you’ve still got plenty of time to retake the SAT and make certain that you satisfy the rest of the State requirements:

You qualify for academic admission, if you:

• Complete Texas A&M's required coursework, and
  • Rank in the top quarter of your graduating class on or before the application deadline, and *meet test score minimums
  • SAT: Total score of 1360 with at least 620 Math and 660 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW)
  • ACT: Composite score of 30 with at least 27 English and 27 Math
  • Satisfy the State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy, and
  • Make sure all required documents are received by the application deadline.

yes I am Asking for next year and Have finished taking the SAT (not taking it again).

DO you think I have a better chance than not of getting in with what I have rn because I’ve tried and cant improve my sat?

@Trappybutton12345 have you taken ACT? I’m not an expert, but based on the stats from this year, if you don’t have a 1360 SAT (or 30 ACT, with needed subscores), your chances of getting straight into Engineering would be tough. Did you take the writing portion of SAT?