Texas A&M admissions

I am currently a senior in high school and wondering if I have a decent shot at making it in. I aim to major in Engineering, particularly Civil or Petroleum. My sat score was 1160/1600 which is a little low, GPA is 3.71 (unweighted) and rank is 73 / 588 (top 12%) I’ve also tooken many AP classes throughout highschool.

I am also wondering that since i didn’t make top 10% for auto admit do I still have a fair chance even if my SAT scores aren’t up there?

Thank you in advance.

.bump

How are your extracurriculars and volunteering? If your extracurriculars and volunteering are good you should be fine. You also have ample amount of time to take the sat two more times and try to improve your score.

my EC’s are decent i joined a lot of clubs this year. I’m taking the SAT and ACT 1 last time to improve my scoresin October before applying.

Just take the ACT and SAT seriously. If you can get higher than a 1200 or a 28 or 29 you should be fine. Extra curriculars really don’t help you all that much, don’t focus on them. The easiest way is through the SAT and ACT.

You can submit your application & then update your scores if they are higher. There is no bias ( lower scores are ignored). Watch the new deadlines for Engineering applicants, they are different than the general student body now. Rejections come after the deadlines for applications, you will be in review until that time frame so don’t worry about a negative decision being made before your scores arrive (as long as they meet the deadline). New material being submitted puts your application back through the review process for another chance.

Realistically, only about 12% of review candidates obtain full admission to the College Station campus (other options: Blinn Engineering, Blinn Team, alternate campus- Galveston, Gateway are all still considered ‘admissions’ for published tally purposes) So do plan accordingly, and submit applications to other colleges. Your application will be reviewed in its entirety so write great essays, get recommendations, & fill up the EC list. Your chances are tough to determine since your entire app will be reviewed & compared to your peers - it is a new process this year for engineering. IF they use the same process as they do for review admits, it was revealed a few years ago by admissions representative that the review decision is 50% rank & scores 50% everything else on the application (whether the engineering department will follow that same approach, no one knows). Good luck!