Texas A&M admitted students for the Class of 2027

Oh we’re not forcing her, but it’s her cheapest and (probably) highest ranked school at this point (we don’t care about that, but it means *something.). It was her decision to not apply to any other in-state schools because “she would go to A&M anyway.” We’re just trying to make sure she understands all the travel/ financial impacts of going OOS.

2 Likes

@LaFinalista I agree with you. Go OOS only if higher ranked or if there is something very wrong with your in-state option. Seems like A&M is a college where you can choose where you live and make friends outside of your current circle, as explained by @52AG82 . So you are doing the right thing making her understand the implications of going OOS.

2 Likes

D23 is accepted to TAMU and registered for Aggieland Saturday, thinking it was a day for accepted students but the more I read, it seems it might be more for juniors? Will it be worth it for her to still go to tour dorms, etc?

1 Like

Pretty sure Aggieland Saturday is for prospective students, but It won’t hurt to attend. She can always do as little or as much as she wants. I think they offer major/college specific tours, ResLife Housing tours, etc.
I highly suggest taking a Housing tour for everyone, after acceptance, even if you’ve toured prior…it’s a completely different view, once student has been admitted. Student will need many choices during dorm selection, needs to be prepared. Housing tours can happen anytime, just require appt.

Do you know if there is an accepted students day? I mean, this is what they sent her info about so I’m not sure why if this is more for prospective students? She was accepted in October and heard nothing until an email about Aggieland Sat.

@LaFinalista never heard of anything like an Accepted Students day. With 11k+ incoming freshman, I can’t imagine they offer something like that. NSC would be the closest thing, I’d imagine.
I’m sure there are some accepted seniors who attend Aggieland Saturday-those who haven’t made a decision yet, those who haven’t been able to be on campus prior, those who just want to see it again. If nothing else, and you’re close enough, go to attend major/college tour & ResLife tour.
It’s SUPER casual, do as little or as much as you want. There’s photo ops, Corps does a little showcase, freebies, various sessions all during the day. It’s not ‘formal’ like NSC-parent & student breakout sessions.

3 Likes

https://visit.tamu.edu/aggieland-saturday#:~:text=Aggieland%20Saturday%20is%20a%20campus,Texas%20A%26M%20University%20are%20welcome.

1 Like

@LaFinalista Towards the bottom of the link below is the heading “Aggiebound” with alittle info to consider, but not much.

Another possibility is to visit the site of your students major and look at all “future student” info.

Engineering use to have meetings in the late winter/spring called “Now that you’re admitted” and would explain ETAM, devices, classes, etc.

1 Like

I have a few questions around the cost of an undergrad program at Texas A & M.

1. I looked up online, but on a practical level, can you suggest what would be an annual expense to attend here at Texas A & M. Including Tuition, fees, residence, food, travel , others (?)

2. Does it make sense to take loan (i know this depends on one’s financial situation), but the question is more about, if a loan (federal or otherwise) is available, does it make sense to take the loan even if the parent could support the child. I got some advise that it might be beneficial to take the loan, given all the new Biden rules around college loan forgiveness etc. Any thoughts on this?

1 Like

My son chose LLC last year and changed his mind and I just emailed them to remove him from LLC. It was no problem and did not effect anything with it being early still.

Just an FYI, Callaway house is known as the party apartments and I’ve been told it smells like urine and throw up. It may be popular for some kids, but the ones who I know that live there say it’s gross.

Thanks. We’ve toured Callaway and my daughter has several friends who live there now, so we are going in with our eyes wide open. She’s weighing her decision and moving forward with on-campus options, but if she ends up in Callaway, she has been fairly warned and has some idea about what to expect. She’s actually going to visit a friend and stay there in a few weeks, so that visit may give her a more realistic understanding.

1 Like

We went. It was worth it. It is a campus wide open house. Not just for juniors. Seniors go. Transfer students go. It wasn’t an issue and wasn’t focused on juniors. Was focused on prospective students in general. Admitted students are still prospective students. They haven’t enrolled yet or started yet. Has your student done a department/college major tour? The department/major tour was great and the dorm tour. The department tour is what solidified my daughters decision to enroll at A&M vs the other schools she was admitted to.

1 Like

Thank you for all that info! No, she only did a general campus tour last year and hasn’t done the major tour yet so we will definitely be doing that.

2 Likes

UPDATE: He has his letter in AIS, but housing opening open is slower then the letter announcement at this time per the Housing Office - he called them.

Son is trying to complete Phase I - Inside of myHousing Portal - logged in fine. There is not an option for New Application. Only option at the top is Home. Should there be something else?

2 Likes

Please help! My daughter got her 7 tabs in howdy a couple of days ago and her AIS changed today. Can someone please walk us through how to pay the housing deposit? Do you have a screenshot of where we should be looking? Thank you in advance!

We did this today. Start here: Tamu Housing Portal

You will need her UIN number (A&M student #) to complete the registration/sign the contract. My son found it in an email he got from AIS, I think from when he registered. Then you just walk through the screens.

ETA: you will also need her tamu.edu email. For us, it was just the email he registered with for AIS/Howdy. For example, johndoe@gmail.com became johndoe@tamu.edu.

3 Likes

Also, found this for the upcoming year. You can see the dates for when school begins/ends, holidays, finals, etc. I thought it was helpful.

https://registrar.tamu.edu/Academic-Calendar?fbclid=IwAR0pxCqMSXhs-Q-4rh5genLNy0rMSpFGPHmPA3ts2UvNeg3mF4lNrM2OP5I

3 Likes

Thank you so much!! So helpful!! So there is nothing else to do for housing again until the 2nd phase opens (for us)on 1/18 ?

Thank you! This is very informative! Ok, it sounds like we be on the same timeline as of now. So, is there anything else we need to do or should be doing at this point (besides the housing deposit—again thank you for the help!). I really appreciate all of your help and information!!