Texas A&M admitted students for the Class of 2027

I don’t know. We did corps housing and it said we only have to do phase 1 for that. (Maybe because he doesn’t get to pick a dorm, roommate, etc.). You can search this thread and the other 2027 thread. In one of them they talked about housing a lot, including phase 2. Lots of good info.

2 Likes

@Cnak once officially admitted, you need to pay Housing deposit ASAP (dorm selection is based on time stamp Housing deposit is paid) and the only other thing you can do is sign up for NSC (New Student Conference). By registering for NSC, A&M views that as your official commitment to A&M, so if student hasn’t decided :100: yet, then wait.

2 Likes

Son is still not able to register for housing. No semesters to select. We talked to housing office and they said to wait. He was admitted on Tuesday. He sent an email today hoping they will look at it first thing when they return to the office.

weird. you were admitted before we were and we did housing yesterday. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you so much! Yes, we just paid the housing deposit last night, now we wait to fill out phase 2. Also, she signed up for the NSC……so we can all breathe for a bit……:wink:……it’s been so stressful……

4 Likes

Maybe it’s too early for this question… but when can students start purchasing sports passes? I heard they sell out fast and want to be on top of things!!

@shruti1 not until mid-late April, I think. They won’t sell out immediately, but will be sold out by mid July or start of school.
Students add it to their ‘virtual cart’ and don’t actually pay for it until August, with tuition & fees-the big bill. But you pick up your Sports Pass at NSC.

1 Like
  1. I just ran this data for my son, who is comparing TAMU to other schools. Assuming you’re in-state, you’re looking at about $28,000 per year for all expenses, including books, tuition, fees, on-campus room/board, etc.

2. I also have a daughter that attends Baylor and has taken out some federal loans to help fund her private school education (tuition starts at $50,000 per year at Baylor). The current loan forgiveness plan is a one-time only plan only for those that already have loans (won’t apply to new loans), and it is highly unlikely to stand up when the courts make the final decision. Paying back loans is in a pause period until the court finally rules on whether the plan is constitutional. I don’t expect it to pass and have told my daughter the same thing.

If you borrow money from the Feds or anyone to pay for college, you should expect to pay it back. That having been said, those loans are a good option due to lower interest rates and availability to everyone that completes FAFSA. If you are eligible for subsidized loans (the feds pay your interest while in school), you might consider taking them and then paying them off when you graduate. The key issue here is that the loans are 100% your responsibility to pay back. If your parents have the money and are going to provide it for you, I would take that rather than incur any debt.

1 Like

How much is Baylor, per year, for everything (assuming you don’t have travel costs?). I have a student at TAMU in dorms with full meal plan and I think our total is a little closer to 30K, but mine is in engineering so it might be higher.

My calculations for TAMU were based on a less expensive dorm, not Hullabaloo or Commons style for an engineering major.

Total annual cost at Baylor for tuition/fees/room/board living on campus is $68-70k per year.

Baylor tuition and fees is $52k and she lives off-campus and her monthly expenses are about $800 per month so she saves money by living off campus. Not sure if the same can be said about College Station- it seems the cost of living off-campus there is more than in Waco from what I have seen, but I haven’t done a ton of research on that option- my son plans to live on campus for his freshman year.

1 Like

Son was just accepted into TAMU as a freshman engineering major a few days ago- was holistic review due to being outside of top 10%. Below are his stats.

GPA unweighted of 3.8
Class Rank 84/726- top 12% at competitive HS
AP and dual enrollment, including taking BC Calculus/AP Physics C as senior
1320 SAT (680 math, 640 ENG)
Best grades are in Math and Science classes
Texas All-State Band
NHS
Eagle Scout
Robotics Worlds Qualifier
Job outside of school
active and volunteer in church
attended TAMU STEM camp and Engineering Chevron design challenge

Had good essays, including one about how he built his own computer during COVID while supply chain issues would have discouraged others from completing such a project. He wants to do computer engineering so he is pretty confident in his path and plans. I feel that his resume and essays show him to be a determined young man that is self-directed and his personal values align with the TAMU core values.

7 Likes

It was “accepted to Galveston and College Station” issue. Housing had to manually open the option. Sad he lost out on a week of housing time stamp. He called last week and they said to wait. Hopefully others will learn from this situation.

2 Likes

Do the majority of freshman to fixed or variable tuition? Is there a better one to choose?

@shruti1 highly recommend you have one of your parents join this Parent Page (must answer ALL questions to get approved). Your question is asked often (use the :mag_right:). There’s no one right answer, fixed or variable.

2 Likes

Not sure if there is a waitlist yet, but I signed my daughter up for this. She was accepted right before the holidays. The kids will have a taste of being an Aggie for a weekend. Whoopin' Weekend - AGGIE RECRUITMENT COMMITTEE

Does anyone know if BIMS is full or not? I’ve already been admitted as a Biology major, but I am thinking about changing it to BIMS.

@shruti1 curious why the switch to BIMS? All the rumblings on parent pages are, BIMS has terrible advising. Just a thought, may want to research both departments, before applying for transfer.

1 Like

I heard that BIMS is a more suitable major for pre-med compared to Biology. Haven’t really looked into the differences, but I think Biology prepares students for more research based careers rather than med school. This may be a rumor, but I heard BIMS would get you a higher GPA than Bio.

1 Like

@shruti1 neither BIMS nor Bio will be easy for a high gpa. Any major is fine for pre-Med, as long as the pre-reqs are taken. My Aggie has a good friend who is a 1st year Med Student at Mt Sinai in NY…he was a Mays grad last year.
I would definitely do some digging, and figure out which major you can do more with after grad, if Med School doesn’t work out, and compare the curriculum.

https://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/arts-and-sciences/biology/bs/

https://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/arts-and-sciences/biomedical-sciences-bs/

3 Likes