Texas A&M admitted students for the Class of 2027

Our concern as well!! Really need that OOS waiver!

@ririgirl University Honors?
Dorm deposit is $75 non-refundable, all dorms, which would include UH dorms (if selected for UH).

1 Like

Thanks, I donā€™t know what honorsā€¦.lol. If you give dorm deposit are you then committing to attend? This process is different and confusing to me.

Registering for NSC (New Student Conference) is considered ā€˜committingā€™ to A&M.

When was your student accepted? What major?
The way on campus housing works at A&M, dorm selection is based on time stamp $75 dorm deposit is paid. The later students get accepted/pay, the lower they are to select dorms in late April/May.
Most students pay the minute the Housing button opens up. There are not enough dorms for all freshmen, guaranteed dorm space will end, probably the first week in March, if not sooner.

Students have until April 30 to cancel their Housing contract, without being held responsible to pay.
Even if student decides to attend somewhere else after May 1, if they havenā€™t canceled their contact, they are on the hook to pay.

UH (University Honors) biggest perk is early course registration, and guaranteed housing (if student doesnā€™t mind not being able to select room or roommate). UH requires living in Lechner & McFadden (the UH dorms), no other honors programs on campus require specific housing.
Most students prefer major/college specific honors over UH.

@cawcaw i canā€™t keep everyone straight. Has your student received any scholarships? Are they NM S/F?

Thank you. I never experienced a housing contract prior to committing with my older son so thatā€™s why Iā€™m confused. I donā€™t know the exact date he was accepted but heā€™s an Engineering major. Iā€™ll tell him to complete it. Whatā€™s another $75 after all Iā€™ve shelled out in this process if he decides to attend elsewhere and doesnā€™t cancel in time.

@ririgirl many schools my daughter applied to, she paid dorm deposit when submitting application.
He needs to pay/complete housing application. like RIGHT NOW. Heā€™ll be at the tail end of selection, but heā€™s at least still guaranteed a room.
Itā€™s a 2 step process; donā€™t stop until he gets a message that says something like ā€˜Next step is Phase 2ā€™.

Thanks, I told him. Perhaps heā€™s ignored previous e-mails but today is the first heā€™s mentioned this to me. He said the emails from this school in particular are so many that heā€™s probably not reading them in a timely fashion is my guess. Until now, the schools weā€™ve encountered decide if youā€™re in honors or not and then place you in your dorm accordingly.

1 Like

If he goes elsewhere make sure he cancels the housing contract before the due date which I think is April 30th or he will be on the hook for $500. The $75 is nonrefundable period. But if he forgets to cancel or cancels after may 1 he will be responsible for $500. Check dates in contract.

2 Likes

@ririgirl since heā€™s Engineering, there is optional housing just for Engineering majors, AND thereā€™s a wing/hall just for Eng honors. He would need to list LLC for Engineering when applying for housing.
LLC = Learning Living Community, and check the one for Engineering Village at Commons. He might have a better shot at a dorm that way.
Since itā€™s so late applying, selecting Eng Village LLC (and applying for Eng Honors) might be the smart thing to do. It could be too late, but itā€™s definitely worth trying!

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

This process is crazy to me. I hope this is the only school that he applied to that operates this way. I donā€™t know if he will attend without housing, unfortunately. Thank you.

@ririgirl heā€™s still guaranteed on campus housing! But the guarantee date is approaching quickly.
Easy for me to say, I knowšŸ˜…, but pay the $75 deposit today (if he hasnā€™t already). I suggest applying for Eng LLC.

He did, thanks. Youā€™ve been so helpful.

1 Like

Do you have to except the offer of admission and register for a new student conference in order to apply for housing? It seems that it is making us do that but we are not 100% sure on A&M yet.

1 Like

Accept

Paying $75 non-refundable Housing deposit is completely separate from registering for NSC.
Housing deposit needs to be done AS SOON AS acceptance is a done deal & housing button opens. Dorm selection is based on time stamp housing deposit is paid, and housing will be full very shortly.
NSC registration is considered ā€˜acceptingā€™ A&M (tho youā€™re not bound to attend).
You do not have to register for NSC to apply for dorms.

Dorm questionā€”

What happens if a late housing registrant gets ā€œpulled upā€ into dorm selection by pairing with a roommate with an earlier slot but then the student with the early slot ends up not attending TAMU? Does the later registrant stay in same room?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

@Engineermom27 is the friend with the higher dorm time actually going thru dorm selection?
Once a room has been selected, itā€™s yours/the students-it wonā€™t be taken away. But if a roomie leaves, then someone else will snag the empty bed.

2 Likes

Yesā€”the early slot roommate will complete dorm selection but itā€™s my understanding that occurs before May 1st so theoretically may not have committed to NSC yet.

1 Like