Texas A&M admitted students for the Class of 2027

You will receive an itinerary very close to the NSC date. The first day is more university level presentations. Parents are sent to lunch at one dining hall. Students are sent to lunch at the other dining hall. Second day is school and department level presentations lunch for student and parent then the students go to meet with their advisor to register. Some departments let parents go to registration. Most don’t. Registration goes smooth if student goes in understanding the degree program requirements and what they already have from AP and dual credit and what they still need. Student can ask advisor if they should accept any AP for fall or wait. Dual credit is automatically applied. Degree program requirements are found online. The degree program requirements break down what classes to take each semester but students will need to personalize this if they already have certain classes completed via AP /dual etc. Advisor answers questions and assists with registration process. Some advisors actually go in and register students for all classes the day before and then the student can make changes during nsc registration meeting. My daughter’s advisor did this and she changed a few thing in the schedule at the registration meeting.

4 Likes

@TamuDad15 have you joined Aggie Moms/Dads of Current Students page? I’ve seen multiple posts about NSC.
Those that are prepared, have a plan, do fine.
Most colleges have something for parents on Day 2, Engineering does not.
Do not plan to go into Registration with your student…they need to learn to do on their own (and very few colleges will even allow it).
Don’t expect to get the ‘perfect’ schedule. Have many course options in place. Don’t accept ANY
AP ahead of time.
Be sure NSC checklist has all :white_check_mark:.
@martinezcs is spot on, in everything she said.

1 Like

For students who plan to live in campus - what meal plans are most appropriate? my daughter does not want to sign up for all-access meal plan, since she says she wont eat at the dining hall all 3 meals and instead have other options such as retail restaurants etc. Any input from students or parents with prior experience on what works best for freshmen students? I am hoping my daughter finds the time and make it a priority to eat right!!

Start with the smallest plan allowed, and then mark your calendar for about 7-8 weeks after semester starts for her to check her account balances (meals and dining dollars remaining) and report back to you on where her balance stands . You can adjust upward to the appropriate (bigger) plan up to the 9th week without penalty. So it is best to start with smallest plan they permit (it is still pretty big plan if she is not a big eater) and then revise upward only if she is running through meal swipes at a rate that justifies the extra expense. Many students end up with wasted swipes first semester due to parental fear they somehow will not eat if the plan is not ‘big enough’.

This approach takes the guesswork out and allows you to base the purchase on her actual usage rate for the meal plan. Hope that helps in some way with your decision making.

4 Likes

@Collegemichmatt yep, start out with the lowest Meal Plan allowed. She can use some swipes at retail places, instead of straight Dining Dollars.

*Meal Plan doesn’t carry over to spring semester, but Dining Dollars DO carry over from fall to spring. Remind her to use swipes first.

To add to 52AG82’s comment, an Aggie is allowed one retail swipe per day up to $8. Your daughter will need to cover any amount over the $8 with dining dollars or cash. We looked around a bit when we dropped our Aggie off at Fish Camp last year. Chick-fil-A’s regular sandwich meal is under $8, but others could be over. The Pom & Honey comes to mind. If your daughter is into Starbucks, it might be better for her to have the app and get rewards instead of using dining dollars.

1 Like

@rowell2024 good tips.
The Starbucks in Hullabaloo does accept Starbucks gc/Goldcard, the Starbucks in MSC does NOT, and no Starbucks (that I know of??) on West Campus. None of the other ‘fast food’ places on campus accept gc’s or rewards programs.

Interesting. My husband says he’s used his app at the Quadbucks (and has received stars) and at the location in Zachry. We’ll have to check it out further when we move him back to BCS.

1 Like

Pretty sure only the Bookstore/Barnes & Noble Starbucks doesn’t accept app/Stars/Goldcard, all others should.
When I said “no Starbucks on WC”, I meant-I don’t think there are any Starbucks located on WC, at all.
One may be coming, in new Wehner expansion, but next to positive there isn’t one over there currently. (I worded that poorly-sorry).