Texas A&M Architecture/Chances

Hey guys!

I am a C/O 2024 student interested in studying architecture at TAMU. What is the admissions process like specifically for architecture? Would I even have a chance right now?
Stats: 3.4UW/3.7W
Rank 7XX/1600
ECs: Marching band, 50+ Service hours w/church, 5 figure Retail Acquisition business

1 Like

@r7antwo what are you ACT/SAT scores?
Your rank is in the 700s out of 1600 or 7%?

@ChristiR93 is the expert, she can weigh in.

You don’t specify In-State or OOS. OOS - basically forget it.

My DS (23) applied to a dozen architecture programs for this coming fall. We’re still waiting on about 1/2 of the decisions but the programs are frustratingly difficult to get into. They manage enrollment to a specific number usually based on studio seating. So while the overall school might have a 60% admission rate, the SoA is likely to be much lower than that.

You have a little bit of time but irrespective of TAMU, explore what other programs are out there and if they require an art portfolio or not (TAMU doesn’t).

I haven’t taken the SAT yet but I got a 1080 on the PSAT, so I estimate around the 1100ish area for SAT. 7XX rank means im around the 44th percentile as well.

I am in state.

I always reply honestly regardless of what it looks like. I think you have very slim chance of getting into Tamu in general. 2nd qtr and possibly low SAT isn’t enough. There are students with top qtr and 1300-1400s SAT getting blinn team right now.

Architecture is extremely small college. Very limited seating and thus very competitive. My advice is to have a really solid backup that you can go get your feet wet freshman year and try to transfer sophomore or just before junior year.

Happy to help you navigate all of that. From degree planning to set up transfer properly, to transfer app and essay. This is or course assuming you don’t get accepted as a freshman. I’m truly just trying to set the expectation. Start looking at other universities who offer arch as a degree.

2 Likes

@r7antwo like the others have said, based on rank and PSAT, I don’t even think you’d get acceptance at all to A&M. You’d need a minimum 1440 SAT to even get consideration, and even then, it would probably be a ‘pathway’ option.
Architecture is a tough major-all schools.

If you’re interested in architecture, two program that you might want to look into are U. of Louisiana - Lafayette (ULL) and Louisiana Tech. At ULL students take the introductory design courses and then at the end of the first year they apply for admission to the architecture major. Thus, the focus is less on your academic stats and more on how you’ve done in college and what your portfolio looks like from those college courses. It looks like you would also qualify for a waiver of out-of-state fees, so only needing to pay in-state rates.

At Louisiana Tech you would qualify for in-state tuition if you’re accepted, as all residents of Texas qualify for the Bulldog Out-of-State scholarship. And in my reading (obviously, confirm with the university), there are no secondary admission requirements for the Bachelor in Architectural Studies. In fact, you can do a 5-year program that leads to the M. Arch there. I think the M. Arch at ULL is an additional 18 months for those who already have a related undergree from a NAAB-accredited school.

If you’re wanting to stay in Texas then I would also look at U. of Houston (which offers the B. Arch and M. Arch), as well as Prairie View A&M (HBCU), UT-Arlington, UT-San Antonio, and Texas Tech, all of which offer M. Arch programs (and thus likely have bachelor’s in architectural studies, similar to ULL and Louisiana Tech).

3 Likes

You’re awesome. Great info.

1 Like