Texas A&M Class of 2025...After you have been accepted...Q&A

Phase 2 is when you select dorms, but it’s just for grins. Has no bearing on what you’ll get. Phase 3, I believe is roomie process. And then you get room/bed selection time. Then you jump on the site and literally look for open beds/rooms. You will actually pick Room 312 Bed b for example.

My housing phase 2 opens today but I am still confused between Southside and Northside… I am an engineering major and a non LLC student… Please help

What you pick in Phase 2 does not really matter. You can put something in now and then pick something completely different when it is time to actually pick your housing.

As a freshman, you will have classes all over campus. So, it really does not matter which area you live in. However, it is my understanding that Southside is more popolar for engineering students.

2 Likes

Oh so what is the meaning of phase 2?? Does it not reserve a space for me in the hall I choose?

That is the big mystery! lol.
I think it is meant to get you thinking about where you want to stay and what your priorities are for housing. That will set you up for the roommate matching, if you are using that, and then have an idea on where you want to start looking when Phase 4 opens. This is when you actually pick your room and bed. When your Phase 4 starts is determined on when you finished Phase 1.

1 Like

Since the dorms are kinda priced based on popularity, Tamu may use everyones’ preferences chosen in Phase 2 to adjust the pricing of each room type. There is a huge difference in pricing, like 2000 something to 6000 something/per semester, w/o meals, depending on room type chosen. Just a thought…

Oh ok got it thanks!

@Adit1843 it doesn’t matter AT ALL what you list/rank in phase 2. This is a new thing, and very misleading. Engineering majors live in every dorm. When my student lived in Hullabaloo, every single kid on their co-ed hall was either Mays or Engineering.
Price isn’t adjusted, as someone suggested. Prices are set in stone.
All boils down to what beds are available, when it is your selection time. Don’t get your hopes up for a specific dorm, because chances are it’ll be full, especially if you plan on rooming with someone you know. Just being honest. Dorm selection is crazy hectic & frantic, and remember that there are easily 10,000+ incoming freshman (not all will live on campus), but thousands paid their Housing deposit months before you.

Okay… Thanks

1 Like

Oh no, I’m not suggesting prices will change before everyone pays their housing bill in August - yes, those are set. But prices do change year to year and it may have been a couple of years ago when someone mentioned that semester prices per room type may partially be based on supply and demand. The dorm preference list has been part of housing selection for awhile - but just recently was the process broken into Phases.

1 Like

Just got notification to complete Phase 2. Any particular recommendations on what dorm to pick. My daughter has been admitted to Mays. TIA.

Honestly, it does not matter what you pick for Phase 2. It is completely irrelevant. My theory is that they do this just to get you looking and thinking on where you want to be/what you want. You choose the actual housing in Phase 4.
I have heard that a lot of Mays students like Northside housing. It is closer to Mays than Southside. White creek is the closest to Mays, but more like apartments than traditional dorms. They will have classes all over campus, so location is not really too important.
My son will be in Mays as well! I can’t wait for the this new chapter of his life to start! So excited for them!!!

2 Likes

Thanks! I am so excited for them as well!

1 Like

@cheedu , @tmclanton is correct-it honestly doesn’t matter what your student lists/ranks for dorms…all that matters is time stamp Housing app fee was paid, and when their dorm selection time is.
Dorm selection is quite possibly THE MOST hectic, frantic ordeal you will go thru. Rooms and beds will disappear before your eyes.
Those that paid Housing fee the 1st two days of earliest acceptance in September will have their pic of dorms…everyone else needs to have 5+ dorms in mind.
I would suggest Northside for Mays tho.

1 Like

Oh girl… you can pick whatever in phase 2 and sadly it ha no bearing on what she’ll get. Mays is on west side campus. Only white creek dorm/apt are over there. Then I guess I’d choose north side modulars.

She’ll be all over campus first year, so it’s all good wherever she lands.

Edited to say Lolol I didn’t see all the other responses. Well… we are all in agreement at least.

1 Like

Just wanted to say that my child is driving me crazy! He still will not officially choose where he is going… at least he is not telling me if he has chosen! I really think it will be TAMU, but he “wants to keep his options open”. I gave him the deadline of Spring Break. My birthday is during Spring Break, so I am secretly hoping he gives me a “Aggie Mom” shirt or something for my birthday.
He has already signed up for NSC and housing because he knew it was his first choice. Now he is holding out for some reason! I honestly believe he is trying to slowly torture me to death!

Kids are the best when they sleep! Hang in there Tammy!

Looking for some advice- DS accepted into Engineering (thinks he wants Computer Engineering but I suspect that can change) and still waiting to see if accepted into EH- I am thinking to let him take his big gaming computer and buy a Surface Pro for note-taking and project work. What are other parents thinking on this?

You’re required to get the minimum meal plan but don’t get more. You can always add dining dollars, but most freshman have a hard time using up the meal plan. For dorms, the Commons are great dorms for freshman engineering. All four halls connect with the main area which has dining, post office, convenience store, etc. Aston and Mosher will be all freshman engineering next year, and Krueger and Dunn are the other two Commons dorm halls. They are a bit older and smaller, but its a nice little community. If you select Engineering LLC during housing, they will select a Commons dorm for you. Engineering Honors is in Mosher I believe.

1 Like

Engineering is specific on what computers the students need. Check the engineering website to see or you can call Mac resources on campus and they can tell you what’s required.

2 Likes