Texas A&M Class of 2025...After you have been accepted...Q&A

It is 100% official! My birthday was on Tuesday and that was part of my birthday gift! We took the obligatory pictures with the banner and everything… we are an AGGIE Family!

3 Likes

WHOOP!! Time to buy all the maroon things!!

1 Like

Okay… so my son is a business major and we have been looking at the MPE that he needs to take online. We logged into the website to look at the practice tests for the MPE and I noticed this statement:

If your score on the TAMU MPE for Math 142 is 13 or higher, you can be placed in Math 142. If your score is less than 13 on this portion of the exam, you can be placed in Math 140.

For his degree plan, he has to take Math 140 and 142. So, does it really matter how he does on the MPE? Am I missing something???

@tmclanton my Mays student scored very high, still took 140 & 142. Didn’t take MPE until after high school graduation, so no rush! Just take it before NSC.

Confused, so is this MPE not required for Business Major?

@cheedu yes, MPE is required for Mays.

Great! Thank you! Is there any other exam that needs to be taken online for Mays? My daughter is first gen going to college, so any pointers would be appreciated!

1 Like

@cheedu definitely don’t stress over MPE, and if your daughter got into Mays, she’ll do fine on it. No rush to take it.

Have your daughter get in the habit of checking her TAMU email daily. All college correspondence will be thru Howdy and TAMU email. Parents are now out of the loop…except for paying :wink:

Hopefully NSC will be held in person, it is super informative! Highly recommend at least 1 parent attend, if not both. There are separate Parent Only sessions. During NSC, you’ll get info to have your own Parent Howdy. Student has to allow/give permission for Parent Howdy; it lets you view:
*Meal Plan (add money/change plan)
*Parking (view Wait List)
*Bill Pay
*Transcript
*Print off 1098t (tax form)
*Schedule
*Grades (mid term & final only, if student gives you permission, and I think only fr year?)

PARENTS SHOULD NEVER LOG ON TO STUDENT HOWDY

If you’re on Facebook, be sure to join
Aggie Parents page
Aggie Moms/Dads of Mays School page

2 Likes

Congratulations to your daughter!
I believe the MPE is the only test. The exception to that is if she is going to take a foreign language, then there is a test for that if she already knows that language to determine what level she needs to start in.

Thank you for all the pointers!

1 Like

It is required for every freshman, but from what I can tell, it doesn’t seem to matter how they do on it for business students. I guess it could determine what order you take the two math classes. If she does well on the test, I believe she could start in Math 142 and then go back and take Math 140. It seems like from my research in the past, that some people want to take 142 first since it is calculus based and their high schooler may have just finished taking Calculus in high school. (I could be COMPLETELY wrong about this!)

I may be missing something, but from what I can tell, it really doesn’t matter how they do on it in the grand scheme of things. If they have to take higher level Math classes, it seems to matter more.

Correct, he has to take both. So many people read that as if you can exempt out of it. And when my son took it you had to score a 13 to be placed in 140 and I think it was a 22 for 142. If under 13, they had you take a remedial math. So definitely don’t blow it off.

As far as timing, they are allowed to take the MPE2 (the one the business students have to take) a total of 3 times. However, there is a 2 week waiting period for the test. I would plan on them taking the first test about 4-5 weeks prior to their NSC date if there is a chance they may want to retake it once or twice.

Thanks so very much for the info!

Hughes Hall- Wanted to know how fast these rooms fill up? Hoping for one of these with a roommate match. We paid housing the evening of the 22nd. Ty

Balconies do not fill up quickly. And a double, even less. I know many people that loved these dorms their first year and so many that ended up staying multiple years. Those and corridors are famous for building a fun atmosphere.

Great. Thank you so much. She wants a single with roommate match. Hoping we get that choice.

We should of pad housing earlier in the day but she forgot to check again after lunch. Got busy with school work. Had those 6 tabs for days. Only if we knew how it worked. :slight_smile:

It’ll work out. But what do you mean single with a roommate Match. Does she want own room and share bathroom? That could be harder. But double bed in room will be easier.

And when did y’all pay deposit? 22nd of what month?

Yes a single room with a shared bathroom. That is all Hughes Hall is now. No more doubles. We paid deposit on September 22 but in the evening.

Oh you’ll be totally fine!!!