Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

My understanding is that having Ags in the family used to help the applicant - now it is not a factor. This has been discussed before so I am only repeating what was said in years past.

1 Like

@dawn3 having Aggie relatives doesn’t hurt or help you. There is no longer ‘legacy’ consideration.
Being a 1st gen Aggie won’t make a difference.
1st gen college student might make a slight difference.

1 Like

How do you tell them that you’re a first-gen college student on your application? Do you write it in essays or is there a question available?

@anon2034821 i have no idea, sorry.
Maybe @ChristiR93 knows?

It will be on the application.

2 Likes

ApplyTexas has questions about parents (parent 1 and 2), there is no direct question about “first gen”, but it will ask the highest level of education parent 1 and parent 2. A drop box for selecting “Parent/Guardian 1 or 2’s education level”.

1 Like

Anyone heard of the ETAM decision this year? This year is the first that raised the auto to 3.75GPA and my senior is quite anxious about it.

Yes this year auto GPA raised to 3.75. Most of the time that means 3.77+ as one can’t actually get 3.75 exactly.

As a matter of fact majority of holistic decision is today. Auto got notified in early June. All students will know their ETAM decision by July 5th.

If first choice accepted is also a student’s applying major, the student will have to accept it.

Raising the bar is a good thing, forcing more holistic review.

3 Likes

Would you be willing to share her score? The homeschool journey into TAMU is an entirely different hill to climb. Thank You

1 Like

sorry to circle back to this, but now that I’ve filled out the SRAR, I don’t know what to put for GPA due to the squirrelly “we won’t count spring 2020 classes for GPA but will count fall 2020 classes for GPA” thing my school did. There is no way the SRAR GPA will match the transcript. Therefore, I have left the GPA fields blank to allow the SRAR to calc GPA. Is that ok?

Curious to see what Friscodad says, in the meantime, does the transcript show a weighted or unweighted gpa? if so, put that or those in SRAR. You are just trying to input into SRAR exactly what is on the transcript. I see what you are saying though. Perhaps also send in the transcript?

it’s non-weighted. It helps to see the calculations:

19/20 S1= 4.0
19/20 S2= 4.0
20/21 S1= 3.42

GPA for all 3 semesters: 3.81
GPA per transcript (S1s only): 3.71

I assume the SRAR was calc a 3.81 (which is what he really got) but I don’t want to put in the 3.71 because 1) it’s lower and 2) it’s different and might flag something (???). That’s why I didn’t report a GPA on the SRAR. I just want to make sure that’s not a problem.

(and obviously this carries forward to the junior year cumulative GPA as well.)

Can you advise as to what they are? My son will be in the middle of academic advanced camp during August 1st-5th and needs to write his essays beforehand due to limited time at the camp.

It might be best to message admissions, via AIS? It’s been a couple years, but my son also had a question about SAR and he was able to message them and received a prompt and detailed response. Hopefully this will give you insight.

2 Likes

Stats

GPA is calculated by each class credit, not by semester. (so you do not add (4 + 4 + 3.42/3) = 3.81 which is not GPA they are looking for)

So for example 19/20 S1, with 4.0 GPA, how many classes/credit are there? If there are 5.5 class credits and they are all “A”, then total grade point is 5.5X4.0 = 22 for that semester.

Unweighted GPA will be (sum of total grade points of all semsters)/(Sum of total class credits of all semesters). A is count as 4.0, B is 3.0, C is 2.0. There is no 4.5 for A+ or 3.5 for A-.

For class of 2027, GPA counts up to the Spring 2022 semester. This is not a hard cut-off as in some rare cases, DCs in Summer I/II of 2022 may still be used. In general, the senior year GPA will not be used for admission decision (but still require final transcript before enrollment).

Below are the questions of current cycle. There will be one more adding this year of 2027.

1 Like

Hi everyone! I will be a holistic applicant for the TAMU class of 2027!

My grading scale is a little complicated but here are my stats broken down.

Freshman year, I attended a prestigious prep school in Minnesota and maintained a 3.76 on a 4.0 scale because they did not offer AP classes.

However, my sophomore year, I transferred to a public high school in Katy ISD. That school combined my freshman year grades on a 4.0 scale with my continued grades including AP and KAP class work on a 5.0 scale.

This combination as viewed in my HAC states that my weighted GPA for all high school years as a 3.7 on a 5.0 scale which dropped my rank to 224/788 (Q2). If you breakdown my GPA from the prep school and the Katy school, my weighted GPA from just Katy stands at a 4.1.

How will this look to TAMU admissions?

Additionally, I plan to retake my SAT in August and am confident that I will get a 1250-1350. If not, I will submit test optional.

I will have letters of recommendation from a US Congressman and a teacher or admin who knows my character very well.

I have interned on a congressional campaign twice, am an incoming intern for Katy Police, and have maintained a job with now manager status since January of 2021. I will also have volunteer hours (around 70) to submit. I was apart of Mock Trial freshman year, received a Leadworthy award sophomore year, basketball manager my sophomore year, apart of Varsity football film for 2 years, as well as a compelling essay. I have attended Aggieland Saturday, official tour and additional TAMU football games. My sister is a incoming junior at TAMU.

From an admissions standpoint, how do I look?

Thank you for the instructions on how to calculate GPA. Very helpful.

Funny enough, for the scenario above, it rounds to the same because he took 7 classes each semester. (28+28+24)/21= 3.809 and (28+24)/14= 3.714. But for GPA calculations for Junior year going forward, it would be different because he took 8 classes. I’m glad to know how to do it properly now.

I think I will stay with my plan of not inputting a GPA on the SRAR due to inherent differences simply because I can’t find a better solution. I will send a transcript, though, so I guess they can pull it from there if they want. The SRAR would show a higher calculation so hopefully all will be ok.

4 Likes

I wonder if the Freedom Rank in Trail Life qualifies for the scouting question.