Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

We are still waiting and losing hope for team or anything

3.79 unweighted, top quarter of competitive 6a school, all AP classes, 1220 sat (almost didn’t submit scores!), impressive resume w/ lots of volunteering, varsity sports, awards, and 2 amazing letters of rec.

5 Likes

Congrats! Was this shown in in Howdy portal or AIS?

2 Likes

Your son’s stats are very very similar to my daughter. She received the 3 (Blinn TEAM only, BT + WL and Waitlist only) choices on Tuesday, Jan 30th. She is a Public Health major and chose both, because she has other choice schools (Baylor, SHSU & UH) that might be a better fit than Blinn TEAM since she plans to go to nursing school after year two. Good luck to you!

2 Likes

AIS system. Howdy portal shows all the tabs now but not sure how to navigate. Surely an email is coming soon with what to do next.

2 Likes

What do you mean not starting with Calc 1? Why would they not?

Gateway isn’t a possibility if we got the three options the other day right?

Does anyone know when the honors decisions will be released ? My son is accepted to TAMU engineering and we are waiting in merit and honors

@Jacki_Jones University Honors (UH) doesn’t let students know until late April/early May.
You’d have to look at college website, if you’re waiting on major specific honors-they all vary.
Don’t hold your breath for merit…

Yay! My daughter received Gateway as well. She is over the moon to have the opportunity. She is a bit uneasy about the dorm but she will be fine. We live here in College Station so she had no plans to move out anytime soon lol. I think she will love it though. I think it will be so good for her. I have no idea what comes next. We need to figure out the financial aid part since FAFSA is for the 23-24 year. But I know it will all work out. Congrats to your son! I think there is a Gateway thread but not sure if this year’s has started yet. Should be a good way to connect there as well.

7 Likes

Congrats!! Lucky she’s got y’all close by. We aren’t far in East Texas but a little nervous about the dorm as well. I’ll search for a gateway thread.

You have to pass the math entrance exam. I’m not sure what the pass rate is but he had Calc I in HS and started with Pre-Calc at TAMUG. Good foundation but took an extra semester to do ETAM.

1 Like

They would not start Calc 1 if they do not score high enough on the Math Placement Exam. My son got a 28, and you need at least a 22 to start in Calc 1, so he started in Calc 1. However, all his suitemates and the majority of kids he has met did not score high enough and started in Pre-Cal. That means they cannot ETAM until their 3rd semester in the program.

2 Likes

Ok does everyone have to take that or is getting a good score on the AP Calc exam enough?

I think to avoid Precal, it takes a 22 or higher on the Math Placement Exam (MPE) or a 4 on the AP Calc AB exam.

Good to know that’s hard for securing dorms and such to not hear until May . Interesting and I’m not expecting much for merit altho we have been super blessed from other schools for merit especially since we are not need based I have been pleasantly surprised :open_mouth:

2 Likes

@sbhubbell all majors take MPE; it’s a different MPE for Engineering.

2 Likes

So it’s actually a different test? Or are different scores required?

1 Like

I’m late to this thread - when do prospective students take a math placement exam? When I went to TAMU and studied engineering, you started with Math 151 (Calculus I). Is this not the case with students now especially those enrolled in TEAB?

I started a Gateway thread. Gateway Tamu class of 2027