Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Sounds like he is way more on top of it then me lol he put the 50 Down and selected engineering already :blush: as for fasa we don’t qualify for fasa money or needs based still hoping for a little bit of merit

1 Like

@Jacki_Jones submit FAFSA anyway, as most merit awards require it to be on file. No FAFSA, they move on to the next student who did submit.

4 Likes

DS wants to join the Corps. How does that factor into the housing situation?

We are OOS and waiting for hear back on Team Blinn decision. In the meanwhile, looking for opportunities to reduce our tuition since OOS is expensive compared to in-state/in-district. We applied via CommonApp and answered scholarship related questions and essays. We also sent out FAFSA to Texas A&M but not to Blinn.

1. Is there Blinn Team specific financial aid and scholarships application?
  2. is there departmental scholarships for students?

Any guidance is appreciated.

@Lilstepper Corps has their own dorms, required all 4 years.

1 Like

@FriscoDad @52AG82 Can you expand on this comment, “No FAFSA, they move on to the next student who did submit.” We didn’t submit FAFSA because we know we won’t get anything and we’ve got the tuition covered via a plan.

When you sign up for the Corps, they will assign your housing. If there is ANY chance that your student will not be in the Corps, register for regular housing. If they do sign up for the Corps, they will change it.

2 Likes

@kartmom17 FAFSA is required for most scholarships/awards. If the student doesn’t have FAFSA filed, they won’t be considered for those awards. My husband is an attorney, we certainly don’t qualify, but submit FAFSA every year. My Aggie has received at least 1 A&M merit scholarship/award every year. When we print the email detailing the award, it states ‘FAFSA must be on file’.

3 Likes

@52AG82 Thank you for clarifying. I know that FAFSA pertains to awards, etc. I misunderstood your statement and thought you meant if FAFSA is not filed they move on to the next applicant pertaining to admission consideration. Knowing it’s “optional” we didn’t submit this go-round; knowing our first Aggie didn’t receive anything from Cstat, we chose not to submit for 2nd-hopeful-Aggie.

1 Like

Are you in-state? Our college counselor told us FAFSAs were required by the state now (or you have to file an exemption) and that all scholarships -in state and OOS- would ultimately require us to file it. They told the senior class to do it in August.

1 Like

We are in state and filed an exemption.

1 Like

Both merit and need based scholarships need FAFSA.
It is very common for students with excess scholarship to get refund via ACH service (currently TAMU is using Flywire)
Your savings can be used for postgraduate studies, which is very common in TAMU.

2 Likes

For Blinn Team, Financial Aid is centralized on TAMU. Blinn Team students may have extended tuition due date as TAMU One Stop will send payment to Blinn. You can learn all these in NSC.
Departmental scholarship is mostly merit based but still require students filing FAFSA. Most are donated by alumni and corporate world and they have GPA cut off. Every engineering major has its own list and general engineering has another list. 4.0 GPA students can get quite a lot to cover in-state tuition. For OOS, if your student’s financial situation is tight, contact Aggie One stop they will make it work for you.

1 Like

Just curious, if anyone has received the Presidents Endowed scholarship yet in my howdy?

My daughter was accepted into Eng early December. She’s a national merit semifinalist. We haven’t seen anything in our financial aid or scholarship portal yet. We did complete FAFSA even though we don’t expect financial aid. We are OOS.

I know the national merit finalists will get notified this coming week and that moves the scholarship to the National Scholar scholarship at TAMU, but we’ve been expecting to see scholarship for semi-finalist show since December.

1 Like

@STEM2023 PES letter should arrive sometime In February, that’s when my daughter received hers. It’s coming, if she’s NM S/F…

Do we have to attach FAFSA to our Tamu or we just have to do it? I’ve done it, but I’m not sure if I wait or I have to link it with something.

Thanks. It’s been a little confusing with the scholarship department. When I finally got through they said NSM scholarships come later. Then they also said to have your daughter noted as an NSM on her application e-mail nationalscholar@tamu, which we did last week. (Which tells me they never had her down as NSM, even though we put it on her application)

I’ve read some people already received the NSM scholarship letter earlier and some haven’t. I know it will come and she’ll probably get NSM this week too. We’ve been expecting the scholarship letter for awhile and tamu is different than other schools that send/push the NMS scholarship recognition immediately.

We just put tamu down as one of the colleges with the fafsa application and tamu downloads it.

If you go into myhowdy financial aid portal under awards or status at the bottom it will says for us “your Fafsa has been received”

Did you have to apply for merit based scholarships or do they just give them to you? And if I want Hullabaloo or White Creek, will I have a shot at that if I paid my fee on Jan. 16?

1 Like

Good evening. To our delight, we looked to see 7 tabs in Howdy this morning- accepted into College of Engineering. Our son DS23 had not looked since Friday morning as we had a wrestling meet all day yesterday. Like many parents here, we had been waiting anxiously since he applied in early fall for any news/updates to his application. I have been watching this thread for several months-- told myself to not read it anymore because it was making me more anxious and made the waiting more difficult, and then promptly checked back in a few days later to read up on the latest comments. Began to worry if he was going to get in at all as an OOS, to say nothing of College of Engineering, given the comments here and the fact it’s already February.

Stats:
OOS- Holistic review
Applied for College of Engineering/Early Action 1st Mech E 2nd EE
Did not provide board scores/test optional (felt SATs and ACTs were not going to be competitive)
Private Catholic HS in Northern Virginia does not provide class rank-- AIS assigned my son to 1st quartile
GPA UW 3.9 W 4.1
ECs: Varsity letters in Football and Wrestling, Captain of Wrestling team Senior year. 2 years lacrosse. NHS, honor societies (Spanish, Rho Kappa/Social Studies, Science), Hispanic Heritage Club.
Received notification this week for Army ROTC scholarship. Son intends to join Corps of Cadets. I mention this because we got an email from TAMU Army ROTC informing of his selection for the ROTC scholarship and that if he had not yet been admitted to contact the ROTC Operations Officer. We did this, and it appears that they informed the admissions office of his ROTC scholarship. We don’t know if this pushed him across the line or if it was just a coincidence.

We are of course ecstatic. For those parents still waiting, keep praying and be positive, Best wishes to all.

6 Likes