Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Good thoughts.

Many college platforms I am on says computer science jobs are in such demand that you shouldn’t worry about college rankings because jobs are easy to find. I’d choose LSU since it’s direct admit with scholarship. I know several kids at TAMU that switched out of engineering this past semester. It was too hard and stressful for them to try and achieve a great gpa.

6 Likes

Anyone know if this year is expected to be any different than past years with regard to Team offers? My understanding is in past years those that selected Team only when given the 3 options were virtually assured to get that offer.

1 Like

On a lighter note, a student speaker at the Saturday 1:30 Engineering presentation said he chose TAMU over School of Mines bc TAMU had girls. :rofl:

If you don’t qualify for financial aid, SMU will cost you a lot more, unless you’re a NMF, and they’re not particularly highly ranked in Engineering.

My son is also worried about ETAM, as he has his heart set on Computer Science. He got offered TEAB at TAMU. He was accepted to 6 other schools as a direct admit to major but TAMU is by far his favorite.

We eventually narrowed it down to two:

TAMU:
Clear favorite, prestige, no scholarship, major not guaranteed

Texas Tech:
Honors college, direct admit to major, more undergraduate research opportunities, 10K less per year (presidential merit scholarship & lower housing cost)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :pray:t3:

1 Like

All of the Aggie Engineers that I am related to would say TAMU, hands down.
But I understand some students balking at the possibility that ETAM won’t turn out for them the way they want. If a student is very risk-averse, the Tech option would be great!
I might look into starting salaries from TAMU vs Tech. Will that $10k a year be made up after graduation?

3 Likes

@Decision2023 we know many Tech engineers-fantastic program! Hands down, I’d take the Tech Eng Honors program. Honors + :heavy_dollar_sign: + guaranteed major = no brainer. Tech Eng also offers some very cool study abroad programs.

8 Likes

I have seen this reference to ETAM 3.77 on here a few times now. I asked at Aggieland Saturday for Computer Science if that was the new requirement and they stated it was 3.75. Can someone source this 3.77 ETAM info?

3 Likes

(I’m talking about the needed GPA for auto admit to first choice major)

@nachomama It is 3.75. When others “do the math”, they conclude it is not possible to get exactly a 3.75

Appreciate the feedback. You are confirming my gut thoughts.

When you transfer dual credit to Tamu for TEAM does the gpa transfer as well or just the credits?

It’s really hard when your major is not assured. Our neighbor’s son got into TAMU CS a few years back and did not get his major in engineering, he ended up getting a masters in UofH in the major he actually wanted, our neighbor felt like he wasted his time and money in TAMU. But nobody knows your son like you, Is he willing to put in the work to get the GPA to assure his major, our neighbor said his son partied the first year and ruined his GPA.

1 Like

That makes sense since the top 6% are auto admit into UT Austin, they most likely applied to both UT and TAMU

1 Like

That’s a huge part of why my son is choosing Alabama over TAMU. (He’s goes to Tompkins too) He’s tired of the pressure and competition in high school and wants the hopefully more relaxing but still rewarding option of Computer Science and the Honors program at Bama. My friends all refer to TAMU as Tompkins 2.0.

6 Likes

Mine is at SLHS- extremely competitive.

1 Like

(https://admissions.tamu.edu/apply/transfer)

I don’t think it’s considered a transfer though? Since I’m still in high school. I could be wrong.

SAME! My son is at Clements High School and it is extremely competitive! For the same reasons we are leaning towards LSU, some fun and less money!

4 Likes

With majors not being guaranteed at UT, it makes sense for Top 6% to also apply to A&M. And A&M AOs know this…

1 Like

Does anyone know if all full admits to engineering have already been sent out? My son has a friend that has still heard nothing and he applied early Fall?

2 Likes