Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Hi @PlanoAggies, is this your third or fourth Aggies?

USNews stated clearly their undergraduate ranking was based on peer review, they sent survey to all 514 ranked schools and used some formula to sort out the ranking, the shortcomings of such “survey” ranking was prejudicial perception. Any change will be very slow. The results at times can be quite ridiculous. For instance, both UT and TAMU Accounting and Finance (two major business programs) ranks top ten in the nation while UTD ranks 82 in Accounting and 95 in Finance so there is no reason UTD ranks higher.

The real ranking parents mostly care is job placement (and passing introductory period). TAMU and UT are both well over 90% so I will advise don’t even look at undergraduate ranking at all. What student do in college is what matters.

TAMU Mays ranking will rise after their BEC completion in 2024 (if usnews peer review continues) . Business Education Complex

Your second question on TAMU hidden gems in engineering, Biological (not Biomedical) has been top 3% in the nation. Job placement is 100% and recruiters have to fight against top research graduate programs to get its candidates. Another one is the newly merged Technology Management engineering (used to be under College of Education), we found candidates majoring in Computer minor in Technology Management, or major in Technology Management (TCMG) and taking a number of tough CS classes are highly competitive IT staff in last few cycles. The graduates knew a lot more than the regular “IT degree” from other colleges. But then TCMG may get more competitive later.

8 Likes

@FriscoDad I had the same questions you just answered Thanks!

Thank you very much, that’s great info! And this is my fourth one! Imagine table of six shrink to table of two…

1 Like

Thanks… this is very helpful. How would you rate Mays vs McComb @ UT Austin?

@PlanoAggies i agree with everything @FriscoDad said about ‘rankings’. Take them with a grain of salt. I rarely give any Yelp reviews the time of day, because they could be written by false/scam accounts, disgruntled employees or family members of the establishment trying to ‘pad’ the reviews.
A quick Google search shows Mays Top Ten by Fortune and Princeton Review.
Job placement and overall reputation speaks for itself…and both McCombs and Mays have nailed that! McCombs and Mays diplomas open all kinds of doors, tried & true, fantastic programs.

You probably know, but MIS is in Mays, and incoming freshman all apply as BUAD; Mays students don’t declare majors until end of sophomore/start of junior year.

4 Likes

My daughter is holistic review for Mays. Everything is Green except Rank. She is top 25%.
She finished the SRAR and it is linked.
She didn’t send any official transcripts through parchment or any other channel.
Do we need to do anything or just wait?

Thanks!

I will recommend sending official transcript even though it is optional for review admit.

1 Like

Got it… Thanks!

Both are top notch Business Schools. The content students learned in undergraduate is pretty much the same. So the learning environment is more important to students.

UT has a pretty new Rawling Hall, and TAMU is now building a BEC to be completed in 2024 (and there will be further expansions). Both are huge, world class and modern many Ivy leagues will envy (you will understand when you look at Stanford GSB and UPenn’s Wharton buildings). But note that, most of the accomplishment is achieved by graduate and post graduate schools.

3 Likes

We did send the request through Parchment and also uploaded official transcript on AIS.
Her transcript has GPA but not the class rank (or top 25% ranked).
There is another document published by her ISD which shows GPA by top 10%, 25%… Not sure if that will be considered official rank document. Should we upload sane to AIS?
Meantime, we made a request (through AIS) to the counselor to send the official rank document to A&M.

Any idea on what are the right steps here to showcase she is in top 25%?

Thanks!

I am sure this is similar to others questions, but is there a timeline estimate to when homeschoolers (unranked) will be ranked based on past years? Do they have to have enough other homeschoolers/unranked/applications to decide on the rank? All else is complete except for this item and LOR’s mailed in (as they requested private instead of having my son upload in AIS).

Also can that rank change when new ACT/SAT arrive in the system?

TAMU will take a few days to receive in Parchment, after that, her assigned rank will show in AIS. Don’t get upset if initial rank assignment is wrong as it is done by computer not human. Just ask a question in AIS to get it corrected. AO will address question within 48 business hours but initially it may take longer in August.

1 Like

TAMU will use whatever they receive to rank home school students, scores will definitely play a major role there.

A number of high scoring homeschoolers (SAT 1500+/ACT 34+) got assigned top 10%, but majority will be assigned first quartile within 2 weeks. If homeschool student got assigned second quartile, it is important to ask question in AIS to make sure correct rank reflected before first review (between Sept to Nov in last few cycles)

4 Likes

Thanks, very good point! Not finishing the scholarship application is not a good idea.Appreciate your input.

2 Likes

Just a note that I’ve seen that private universities, like Baylor, judge that applicants who fill out optional questions are more interested and therefore are more likely to be admitted. I’d advise a review applicant to a public U to also fill out everything.

5 Likes

@tristatecoog I absolutely agree!

That’s called grade distribution report. Some ISDs include that in 3rd and 4th pages of transcript, some ISDs require school counselors to send over. If you have one, you can upload to AIS.

In the CommonApp Texas A&M application under Academics they ask “Have you progressed to the National Merit Semifinalist stage?” If one applies before Sept 1 the answer has to be “No” since the NMSF are announced in Sept. How does one inform Texas A&M after applying that they have made it to the NMSF stage ? Thanks

If index is 221 or higher, it is. If 219 to 220, you can report that later in AIS.
The first review won’t start until late September.
If applying STEM degree, NMSF (good PSAT) applicants with good SAT/ACT scores will be automatically submitted for Brown Scholar (aka Craig & Galen Brown Foundation Scholarship) consideration (second round interview required). It is a very prestigious full ride award for top students.

1 Like

I did not understand your above comment

2 Likes