Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Focus on Essay A, that’s what is used in holistic review. The general common app essay you can duplicate it just in case since it is the first year of common app for TAMU.

If the formatting is not professional in common app, you can also upload a nicely formatting pdf via AIS.

1 Like

What do you mean by duplicate? Like, copy and paste essay A into the common app essay?

Yes. If you use Common App, the “Personal Essay” is stated not required, you can still pick the first one and basically duplicate the Essay A required by TAMU. TAMU will not use the generic “Personal Essay” according to their admission office, I still recommend filling it out just in case. Make sure you answer all 4 essays under the “Writing” prompt for TAMU.

Once you gain AIS access, you can see if Essay A is green checked.

1 Like

@FriscoDad @ChristiR93 - My D23 just got all her green checks and class rank says 1Q.
In the SRAR we put 2Q as her transcript says 2Q (missed the 1Q by 10 student out of 900). Do y’all think I should call admissions and ask about this, or do they sometimes assign another rank due to classes or high school rigor? She is graduating from huge, top ranked, very competitive public high school in TX.

Okay, so I already wrote the Common App personal essay and it pretty much answers the A&M “Tell us your story” prompt so I’m just gonna copy and paste it into the other box. I spent the last 4 days brainstorming ideas on how to write the “Tell us your story” essay without it sounding similar to the common app essay. Also, do you have the link where it says that they won’t use the common app essay for review?

Unless the grades in SRAR are incorrect, there is no need to contact AO to change the rank. This is very common.

TAMU SRAR indexing is all computer processed, it will ignore irrelevent classes and assign rank.

Also, submit official transcript even though is it optional.

2 Likes

I believe someone posted before it is stated in common app. (see first image below)

If you use Apply Texas, there is no such prompt so for sure you can skip that, but note that, if you also apply other colleges via Common App, you may need it.

Another option is choosing a different topic (see down below) for “Personal Essay” If you don’t prefer duplicating the essay, or you prefer to address something else (e.g. Accomplishment)

1 Like

Thanks. Also, one last thing. Are the prompts on ApplyTexas the same as the ones on Common App? You said that there’s no personal essay on ApplyTexas and I’ve finished every essay on the Common App (except the “Tell us your story”) so I might just apply on ApplyTexas using the common app essay as the “Tell us your story” so it looks like I didn’t dodge any optional stuff.

If review admit, select a different topic for common app personal essay. You never know may be they read it in second round of review.

1 Like

My twins are using common app and only sending the “Tell us your story” essay, along with the the other two short answer prompts.

2 Likes

Are your twins auto?

Yes, both are auto admit, but one is applying for engineering so he also has that additional prompt and review process

I agree with PlanoAggies, if you are review admit, submit everything optional. We can’t be sure how common app works this first year. There is a high chance review-admit will be reviewed in two rounds. One before winter break and one after.

Congratulations! Remember to apply for engineering honor, which itself has another essay.

1 Like

But wouldn’t the people who apply from ApplyTexas be at a disadvantage because they didn’t have another essay like the common app one?
Edit: I accidentally replied to the wrong message. I meant to reply to the one earlier about the second round of reviews

Do not call. Are you crazy? lol. Just kidding. They are known for reassigning rank for the better. So as long as you input it correctly, no need to call.

1 Like

My son’s new counselor is telling me they won’t even start working on recommendations or sending school profile reports till mid-September. That feels like a problem for a review admit.

That is happening at our school too! Our schools says October.

@pablazzz @FriscoDad
UT_AUSTIN says this on CommonApp : (I am thinking Texas A&M follows UT Austin w.r.t essays but they do not spell it out)
UT-AUSTIN ESSAY (REQUIRED)
Note: This is the only long essay UT-Austin requires. We do not require any of the Common App Personal Essays. Common App Personal Essays will not be used in our holistic review process.
Tell us your story. What unique opportunities or challenges have you experienced throughout your high school career that have shaped who you are today?
TexasA&M says:
The writing prompts found in the common portion of the application are not required for Texas A&M. Texas A&M requires students to answer a specific essay prompt and two short answer questions as part of the application process. The questions are part of the Texas A&M portion of the Common Application.

3 Likes

Did anyone utilize Apply Texas and go back and look at the essay after submitting? On the Essay A, it took out the hard returns and paragraph spacing. Did this happen to anyone else?

Should my son resubmit through the portal?