Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

“Catering” in a sense of being friendly for data entry into SRAR, so that students won’t enter wrong data.

There was an effort in Plano and Allen ISDs in school board meetings last year to make the transcript more SRAR friendly as more schools are now using SRAR to reduce data entry.

For instance, even though weighted GPA is not used, there is a spot where you enter maximum weight GPA (scale). Many entering 6.0 (AP class) which is wrong. For instance, a school with 16 max AP classes (6.0) and 8 honor (e.g. 5.5) and 8 regular on-level classes (4.0), the total 32 credits, the maximum weighted GPA scale is 5.375.

Also many ISDs word the unweighted GPA as “College GPA”, Frisco ISD will change to word as “unweighted”.

Many student copied the grades accordingly but copied the wrong GPA from transcript to SRAR that can jeopadize their applications.

4 Likes

But scale doesn’t mean max gpa it means highest weight given for a class. So in your example… 6.0 scale is correct. Tamu understands what that means.

As long as the student accurately reports from their transcript without trying to guess, they are fine. If they don’t know, they need to note that.

2 Likes

SRAR have a tutorial for calculating “highest weighted GPA possible at your school”.

In second holistic review, you never know what matters. 4.9 out of 5.375 is better than 4.9 out of 6.0. The weighted mechanism is part of strength indexes calculation in SRAR.

4 Likes

That seems like it Puts a lot of pressure on these students to know how many AP classes or dual or Honors or whatever are offered. I’d be filling in N/A.

If they are asking for scale then it truly is scale tho, not max gpa. They are 2 completely different things.

1 Like

I believe that what @FriscoDad is saying is not necessarily knowing how many AP classes or DC classes or Honors classes are offered at the school, but rather how many that the particular student took in his/her unique course schedule. In other words, I think he’s saying that the student should recalculate the maximum scale based on the mix of on-level, Honors, DC, AP credits that is possible if he/she got a 100 in each class. @FriscoDad, is that what you’re saying?

It’s been eight months since I looked at those tutorial videos and read the FAQs, but I don’t recall seeing it described that way. If what he’s describing is supposedly the correct way to do it, I can imagine the vast majority underreporting their weighted max GPA (e.g. inputting 6.0 instead of 5.375 in his example).

2 Likes

Thanks to you all for such wonderful information. I started my student’s SRAR and ran across the “covid question” when entering grades.

We had two semesters with partial virtual learning (about 6 weeks for both spring and fall 2020). For spring 2020, I think they graded normally but did not include the grades in GPA calculations (not 100% certain this is where they landed but it was discussed). For fall 2020, grades and GPA were as normal but virtual learning did impact his grades overall (negatively, of course). So, how do I accurately answer this question?

I had asked our guidance counselor and been told to put 5.0 even though very few classes are weighted on the 5.0 scale. It never made sense to me because it isn’t the Max gpa. No one can get a 5.0 at our school. My understanding was what @ChristiR93 says though: max weight not max gpa with an understanding that not all classes are offered at a max weight level and the school profile colleges receive has information about how many AP offered etc. Although I will say the SRAR is confusing because it says “on a scale of __” and you have to fill in the blank but if you click the little question mark next to it it says something about max gpa possible. Hence the confusion. Because those are two different things. I chalked it up to a bad definition but did ask the guidance counselor and she said put 5.0. So, We put 4.0 for our unweighted and 5.0 for weighted because that was what the guidance counselor said to do for the SRAR. The high school doesn’t even provide seniors the max gpa information so I can’t imagine anyone is using that on their applications.

P.S. I do appreciate your time and willingness to dialogue about this because it is an important topic for applicants.

2 Likes

You still report the grades as shown in your transcript during those virtual semester. Apply Texas (TAMU) has a special essay that you can detail the impact.

2 Likes

@FriscoDad @ChristiR93 I emailed our college readiness counselor at the high school because he helps students with college apps all day long and asked about the SRAR and how they advise students currently on this topic of discussion and he replied:
“We asked this very question of our secondary counselor coordinator. She has advised us to advise students to report an unweighted GPA Scale of 4.0 and a weighted GPA scale of a 5.0. I do understand what you are saying regarding the max GPA. This is how we were told to tell students to do it.”

Now are they advising correctly or incorrectly, that is the SRAR question. But I share this to show it isn’t just my parental interpretation of the question but it is how counselors are advising students at our 6A Texas high school.

I agree with Friscodad, along with my son he had four other review admit friends. Two self reporting max 5.0 did not get in. Of course it could be other reasons.

Plano transcript shows “CR weighted 4.0 GPA” which can be greater than 4.0. Counselor submitted for my son as 4.275/4.57.

1 Like

TAMU regional counselor reported last week that TAMU already saw the issue and had SRAR update the process of requesting either weighted or unweighted GPA (not both) to avoid the confusion in future cycles.

1 Like

Thank you. I did report the grades as on the transcript, just wasn’t sure if I needed to check the covid box. I currently have it unchecked.

For prospective parents, this is a fabulous FB page to follow. She doesn’t have a website, only FB page.

This is a copy/paste of her post today, very helpful tips as your student prepares to start the college application process:

COLLEGE ADMISSIONS ~ CLASS of 2023 ~ LETTERS of RECOMMENDATION (aka LOR), JUNIOR-YEAR TEACHERS, & PROTOCOLS.
(Class of 2024 - please remember this next year when you are in your junior-year classes!)

:exclamation: FOUR IMPORTANT WORDS RELATED TO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION:
:white_check_mark: ACADEMICS
:white_check_mark: CHARACTER
:white_check_mark: LEADERSHIP
:white_check_mark: PERSONAL INSIGHTS

:heart: STUDENTS - DO YOU TRULY UNDERSTAND THE VALUE OF YOUR TEACHERS?

:black_nib: LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (LOR)
–DISCLAIMER – ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR HIGH SCHOOL’S RULES AND PROCEDURES!
– My suggestions (aka advice) comes from years of working with students and teachers BUT every school has their own policies.
– This information is meant to provide guidance, if you need it.

:black_nib: Yes, we’re back to what I’ve been asking you to do since JANUARY – CREATE YOUR COLLEGE LIST/CHART
– WHY DOES THIS MATTER FOR LOR?
– Colleges have their own LOR requirements.
– You should add a COLUMN to your CHART and label it: LOR.
– Include the NUMBER of LOR required or allowed.

:black_nib:JUNIORS, while you are working on your college chart, this is the time (if you haven’t already done so - or your high school has a specific policy about 'when’:exclamation:) for you to APPROACH TEACHERS and ask them VERY POLITELY if they would write a ‘strong letter of recommendation’ for you - for the FALL.
– NO, teachers don’t need to write any letters now!
– NO, they don’t need to know which colleges or how many right now.
– WHICH TEACHERS❓
:dart: Colleges usually want to hear from a CORE CLASS TEACHER: English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Foreign Language.
– Many teachers have a QUOTA of how many STUDENTS they will write letters for, so you need to ask early to get on their list.
– Let the teachers know you will provide all the necessary information, BUT also POLITELY ASK THEM if they want anything SPECIFIC that will help them.:yellow_heart:

:black_nib: WHICH TEACHERS ARE THE BEST FOR ME?
– This is IMPORTANT!
– You want teachers who KNOW YOU and will write STRONG LOR on your behalf.
– HINT - those aren’t always the classes where you made an A.
– Some of the best LOR come from teachers who saw a hard-working student who may have made a B in his/her class but is always working to improve.

:black_nib: WHAT COLLEGES WANT TO SEE IN A TEACHER LOR
:exclamation: SOPHOMORES (Class of 2024)…remember this when you are in your CLASSES next year as a JUNIOR​:exclamation:
:white_check_mark: ACADEMICS - ALWAYS the MOST IMPORTANT

1. Do you try your best?
  2. Do you come to class prepared with your assignments?
  3. If you need assistance, do you schedule time to meet with the teacher for tutoring?
  4. How will the teacher describe your academic attributes❓
    :white_check_mark: CHARACTER - Attributes that distinguish an individual
  5. How do YOU BEHAVE in class?
  6. Are you polite, respectful?
  7. Are you MINDFUL of your classmates and the teacher?
  8. How will the teacher describe your character❓
    :white_check_mark: LEADERSHIP - Influence, Guide
  9. HOW do you demonstrate leadership in your classes?
  10. Do you help other students who may not understand the material?
  11. Do you contribute to class discussions?
  12. Do you listen carefully to others and appreciate their viewpoint - even if you don’t agree?
  13. How will the teacher describe your leadership qualities❓
    :white_check_mark: PERSONAL INSIGHTS
  14. Depending on the size of your high school and your classes, many teachers can offer additional INSIGHTS about your strengths and abilities.
  15. This is why it is UP TO YOU to get to know your teachers and to contribute to each class.
  16. You want the teachers writing your LOR to share EXAMPLES of your strengths - as demonstrated in class.
  17. What personal insights will your teachers be able to share in their LOR❓

:black_nib: WHAT ABOUT OTHER TEACHERS OR EMPLOYERS?

1. Unless you are applying for a specialized program - theatre, art, music - where a specific LOR may be requested, colleges prefer to see letters from your CORE CLASSES - because these are the foundation of your ACADEMICS for college.
  2. Most colleges LIMIT the number of LOR, so you need to read the college’s instructions carefully to see what is allowed. (Usually TWO are the limit.)
  3. IF a college allows extra LOR, then a letter from your business teacher, fine or performing arts teacher, coach, or employer may be an excellent addition to your application.

:black_nib: LETTERS for SCHOLARSHIPS​:heavy_dollar_sign:

1. Most students aren’t thinking about applications for scholarships right now, but you may need LOR for those, too.
  2. These letters may also come from your CORE teachers, but this is where you may also include letters from other teachers, employers, clergy, or people who can address your strengths in leadership and character, too.

:black_nib: WHAT SHOULD I GIVE THE TEACHER?
– AGAIN, follow YOUR HIGH SCHOOL’s policies for teacher LOR.
– If your school doesn’t have a definite policy in place, a FOLDER with important information is helpful.
– Most LOR are written ON LINE these days - so listen to your counselor’s instructions - Naviance? What does YOUR school use?
– FOLDER for TEACHER may include:

1. List of colleges
  2. Copy of your resume (more for background information)
  3. HOW letters will be sent - online, snail mail?
    – If mailed, then supply a stamped, pre-addressed envelope for each letter.
  4. PLEEEEASE be sure your teachers know WHAT MAJOR you are selecting on your college application❗️
    – Knowing your intended major will help them write a letter that dovetails your classroom strengths with your major. (If it is “undecided” - that’s ok, too.)
    – REMEMBER: Colleges are "connecting the dots’ with all the pieces of your application - so CONTINUITY is IMPORTANT.
  5. REMINDER - You also asked the teacher if there was anything he/she wanted to know, so be sure that is included in the folder.
  6. FOLDER - My suggestion is to neatly PRINT your NAME in block letters along the edge of the folder (easy to read). INSIDE the folder, be sure your EMAIL and CELL NUMBER are easy to see - you can write those on the inside POCKET. (It’s also on your resume)

:black_nib: JUNIORS, if you work on these steps EARLY in the college process it won’t feel so overwhelming.
– You can do this! :heart:

The journey continues…

#college #collegeadmissions #lettersofrecommendation #LOR #teacherletters #collegeplanning #classof2023 #juniors #classof2024 #academics #leadership #character #personalinsights scholarships

1 Like

For applying next year
Is 1st choice major: Biology and 2nd choice: Nutrition a safe route to take? Or, should I have psychology as a 2nd choice. I’m interested in both, but I don’t want to have a competitive major as my 2nd choice.

Major doesn’t matter for freshman admissions except for engineering. You’ll be admitted to Tamu and if the major still has spots, you’ll be put there. This year tho, it did seem that bio majors heard really late in the process. So… this is just my opinion.

Does anyone know if OOS students with similar stats have a similar chance of getting accepted? We lived in TX for ten years so we paid plenty of taxes. Haha.

1 Like

Mind boggling to be here 4 years later - although my S23 won’t be applying to TAMU ( :cry: ). Not sure he would have a shot anyway (SAT 1440 (690/750) ) and top 25% (for now lol). I’m okay with that though - really don’t need to fall off the wagon again. :joy:

I will chime in on occasion to help @ChristiR93 with responses. Good luck and it’s never to late to prepare for the process BUT do prepare for LOTS/TONS of patience if you are not auto-admit.

3 Likes

Regarding LOR’s. I will say TAMU was the only school that didn’t have clear and obvious instructions on how to submit them. So maybe this will help others. The instructions we kept getting were simply to “upload in the AIS” but there is no clear and obviously labeled “Letters of recommendation” section or tab in the AIS. Finally the two different pieces of information we received were 1) to simply upload them in the document section (which is what we did) or to 2) click “request items from school counselor” (which we would have never even thought to check or open) and once you click that it opens up options such as request counselor recomendation or letters of recommendation. So the student can then enter the guidance counselor name and email and it will send them a link and then the student instructs the teachers to give the LORs to the guidance counselor who then uploads it.

3 Likes

Super helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

It’s optimal when the person writing the LOR is glad to give it to the student and then the student can upload it as you mentioned. It seems odd to me and kind of scary that some LOR writers don’t want the student to see what they’re saying. It’s the students application after all - they should be able to review what goes into their application, especially if they have more than two LORs to choose from.

A few years back, under document upload in AIS, you could pick the type of document and LOR is one of those types, along with resume and others

2 Likes