Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Oh wow. This is helpful, thank you. I’ve been talking up UH to D23 because of my experience (and I personally think McFadden/ Lechner are perfectly located on campus) but she will not like the roommate feature. Of course, there’s a high likelihood that any two honors Aggies will probably get along, but she’s going to be picky (and probably needs to be) with roommates.

1 Like

Need some advice here. D23 is Top 10%, she applied on 8/3 and has all green checks except transcript. There is a large banner on the top of her AIS that says “We need your transcript to confirm top 10%.” Long story short, there has been a clusterf* with new counselors and there was a delay but now the counselor has told her that they’ve sent the transcripts. All of her other schools are showing that is the case, except for A&M.
How long do we wait for it to show up? Do we email the AO and ask? Or ask a bot or something?

Agree. My daughter decided against UH for all of those reasons.

2 Likes

@LaFinalista the ‘vibe’ in Lechner/McFadden is definitely different. Yes, great locations, for sure, but so many others on Northside are great, too.
UH is on a point system, lots of ‘fluff” and ice breaker/mixer-type stuff required as freshman.
Some do love it! But not being able to pick a roommate or room was a huge NO for my Aggie. And the fact that UH doesn’t make a decision until so late in the spring leaves many in a lurch, for housing.
Absolutely don’t do 2 honors programs, there’s not enough time in the day.
One other weird UH tidbit-you’re required to take a certain amount of HNR classes. You don’t necessarily get into major specific HNR classes, so the UH student has to go their professors and beg for them to ‘make’ that class ‘honors’ for them…which they don’t have to do.
Just not impressed with University Honors. But obviously there are some who get something out of it!

1 Like

Thank you for the information! I am only worried about TAMU Honors. I think it was someone else who has a UH applicant. You are so great to know so much!

2 Likes

Same thing happened to DD. She used the ask a question feature in AIS, and they could see that her transcript was sent through Parchment, and A&M no longer accepts Parchment. They said transcripts are only accepted through TRex or student can upload an official transcript (if your district will give student an official transcript) to their AIS. DD asked school registrar to send transcript via TRex and she had a :white_check_mark: next to transcript two days later.

1 Like

@Freshman19 my bad! I thought you asked about University Honors (UH-what it’s called). So were you asking about major/college specific honors?

Thank you. Our school uses naviance… but maybe they do something different for TAMU. We’ll reach out to everyone and see what the hold up is.

An activity that gets started on Mach 2, 2022; if you mention it as an Activity in your college app or resume, what should you say as hr/wk and wk/yr. For example it is to be 2 hr /wk for 36 wk / yr. The activity does not have a place to mention a start date but it does have a place to mention what grades you participated - so that would be 11th, 12th in this case. If I average it over the 2 years should I say 2 hr/wk and 25 wk/yr ?

AIS->Contact Us->Ask a question, they will address it within 2 business days.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for clarifying! I need to get up to speed on the acronyms! This is very helpful!

1 Like

@Freshman19 applied to Engineering, correct? No question, I’d apply to Engineering Honors over University Honors all day. One or the other, not both.

1 Like

My son is applying to engineering. He can only apply to one honors program - either Engineering Honors or University Honors correct? I think one of the admission staff members said do both. Maybe, they were assuming you can only get accepted into one? Thank you for clarifying!

@Freshman19 i do think you can apply and get accepted to both, at least you could in 2019.
Pointless to do both, I think, and literally not enough time in the day to fulfill requirements of both. Either program allows for early registration, which is key! Eng Honors has an option to live in the Engineering Village, with other Honors students (optional, not required); UH requires living in Lechner or McFadden (can’t select roommate).
(My Aggie’s Hullabaloo Hall was made up entirely of Business Honors & Engineering Honors students-so major honors kids live all over campus)
Engineering Honors allows for smaller classes, usually better professors; you won’t necessarily get that if you’re in University Honors.
Major/College Honors-at TAMU-are just better programs, than University Honors.

1 Like

D23 is in both engineering honors and university honors. She said there is a lot of overlap between the programs. She hasn’t felt like they have been an unreasonable time commitment. Lechner/McFadden are in a great location and there were no issues with the roommate match. I’m sure experiences vary by student. Students could always start in both department and university honors and drop one or both later. Early registration has been a great perk.

2 Likes

Also it may have changed over the past couple of years but she received her acceptance into Engineering Honors in January and University Honors at the end of February so it would not have caused any problems for dorm selection if she didn’t get in. She had her dorm and roommate assignment in May from University Honors.

****Also I meant to say D19. I was calling her D23 because that is her A&M year.

1 Like

Finally have something to post here…yay!

Twin 2 submitted his app last night…including full scholarship section!

Major:1st choice Mays/Business; 2nd Econ
Class Rank: 72/999, Auto Admit
Test Scores: ACT-30 composite, SAT-1300
EC’s:
4 years marching band, 2 years of Section Leader
NHS
Interact Club
2 year member of our City’s Youth Action Council
American Legion Boys State- was elected to Associate Justice of the Supreme Court
Student Election Clerk for our County (will be working midterm elections in Nov)
Total of 90’ish volunteer hours
Part time job since 10th grade at the Lego Store (only works after marching season is over Nov-July)

Twin #1 is still working on his essays and prompts but should be ready to submit his app in the next day or so!

Eeeeeppp!

6 Likes

Submitted to Texas A&M Engineering late August.

Top 14.2 % in big high school
SAT 1310 (Math 680…Verbal 630
Average extracurriculars/honors/volunteer/essays - 5 AP classes and will have earned 24 credit hours between DC and AP exams by graduation.

Based on reading some previous years’ posts, I kind of think we are on the bubble between entry to College Station or Blinn Team Engineering. What say you, good people?

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

I don’t see on the SRAR where there is a “calculated” GPA, only the self-reported GPA. Can someone point out where to look that up? (Also, this is strange, but in the Microsoft Edge browser, the SRAR has less information on it than when I log into SRAR in Chrome.)

1 Like

I would agree with that. Should get some sort of offer. Especially if apply before Oct 15th.

1 Like