Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

No, it does not. Unless it’s changed in the last 2 years, placing the deposit gives your student a place in line as of the date of the deposit, which is non-refundable. You do need to cancel the housing contract if your student chooses to go elsewhere.

2 Likes

D23 heard from Arkansas today
Chemical Engineering

7 Likes

@Culbreath you are correct.
@MamaMiaTX Housing deposit secures a spot for dorm selection (which takes place in late April). It does NOT mean you are committing to TAMU. Be sure to cancel by April 30 tho, or you’re on the hook to pay Housing (per the Housing contract you sign).
I can’t stress it enough…pay the $75 non-refundable Housing fee AS SOON AS your student gets acceptance. Dorm selection is based on time stamp deposit is paid.

I believe signing up for NSC marks your official acceptance

3 Likes

If you haven’t been accepted yet should you file the FAFSA now and send to TAMU? Trying to understand how the “Financial aid funds are limited, so the earlier you can submit your FAFSA, the better”. Is it also a time-stamp for funds where Top 10% get funds before holistic?

And another FAFSA question- do you have to file the FAFSA if you only plan on being considered for a corps scholarship? (wasn’t sure if a FAFSA was required for merit based scholarships.)

1 Like

@dawn3 FAFSA is required for many university scholarships, not just Corps. It isn’t always listed on Scholarship list, if FAFSA is needed, so better to be safe and apply yearly. Yes, it’s a slight pain to fill out/submit, but worth it if your student might get a scholarship.
If their FAFSA isn’t on file, they won’t even be considered.
TAMU students must apply every year, as Returning Students, to be considered for future scholarships, and to keep any they may have. Enrollment for that is Oct 15-Jan 31, no urgency to apply early, just apply sometime during the enrollment period (mine always does it over Winter Break).
Follow FinAid/Scholarship pages on Instagram and FB.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your input. I don’t mind the time commitment for the FAFSA, it’s the nosiness. :slight_smile:

Now following scholarship page on Facebook. Didn’t know that was there, so thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for this great thread. Very helpful. We submitted it yesterday through apply texas (in state , ranking within 10% ). However the form didnt ask for ranking (like UT does) and there was not any prompt to upload transcript. Did we miss something? Or the transcript needed to be submitted some other way?

Did you complete and link SRAR? That is where the ranking/gpa transcript info is input. If in top 10% will have to send in transcript. go to aggie admissions page for the details.

1 Like

@dawn3 i can’t keep everyone straight. Has your student been accepted, or still waiting?
There’s literally an Instagram and/or FB page for pretty much everything.
The way scholarships work at A&M, you don’t decide which you want to apply for, it’s a general scholarship form, then a committee decides. Exception might be for something in the Corps, and my Aggie did get asked to apply for a major specific scholarship from a professor (one that isn’t posted/listed on general scholarship list). Study Abroad scholarships require a separate application also.
A&M is known for not giving many scholarships, except for very high achieving students and need based, not much for the students in the middle.
Don’t hold your breath for anything, be pleasantly surprised if your student does get something!

Thanks @ChristiR93. I do see the SRAR link now and will create/update it. Looks like once the netID is received from admission office (not sure when, as we applied yesterday), the SRAR can be linked there. Appreciate your help.

If your student is top 10%, you can send high school transcript any time (even before you get NID or submit application.

1 Like

@FriscoDad just want to point out BIMS major is no longer under Vet School. It’s now under new College of Arts $ Sciences. See Texas A&M VetMed, BIMS To Become School On Sept. 1. My ‘24 BIMS major (pre-vet) wasn’t very happy about this change.

No worries. There are a lot of people here. Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

He is holistic, not accepted yet. He will probably be on the bubble for admissions (likely hearing back in March) so a scholarship from A&M is extremely unlikely. He does want to be in the Corps, and my understanding is almost everyone in the Corps gets a scholarship. So trying to figure out if the 4% of so who don’t get one is because they didn’t submit the FAFSA or for some other reason. Granted, the Corps scholarships are small and basically cover the cost of the uniform and that’s about it, but we don’t want to miss out on free money. But we also aren’t crazy about sharing all of our personal financial info, either.

I did ask someone with the Corps about he FAFSA on Facebook a week or so ago but didn’t hear back so thought I’d ask here.

Thanks again for all of the help. I really do appreciate all the time everyone takes to help answer questions and offer advice.

1 Like

The original proposal was to be under a new Institute of Biological Life Science that contain Biology and BIMS, that was rejected and moved only BIMS undergraduate to College of Arts and Science.
The degree plans aren’t changed and the paths to Vet or medical school are not changed, it mainly affect class of 2026 freshmen admission. Any reason why your student was unhappy about it?

@FriscoDad she was disappointed not to be under the prestigious Vet School and feels it takes away some value from the degree she will earn. In the end I believe she will realize it is fine. Because like you said, the reqs for the degree are unchanged.

Many can understand how students feel, next fall your daughter will start the TMDSAS process and soon she will forget about the change. The change affect a lot of incoming Biology freshmen as many students got Blinn offers which is hard to show in accountability report.

The change is mainly for saving administrative resources as undergraduate BIMS is still mainly natural sciences.

Thanks @FriscoDad . We did update SSAR last night taking inputs from unofficial transcript. waiting for email to get NID next. Any idea how long it takes?

On a related topic he got acceptance letter from UTD. I think the UTD portal expects to see “Accept” before he can see the available scholarships and apply to those. But if he accepts then will it be binding and is it possible he wont be considered for auto admit from AnM as both are state public colleges. I was in impression generally the acceptance deadline is till end of April 2023 and one can wait till then. The UTD portal didn’t give any deadline to accept or decline the offer.