Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

For my DD four years ago NMF scholarship showed up in two awards. The Pres Endowment scholarship (PES) showed up first - maybe early spring. The second award shows up after they are confirmed NMF - maybe late spring. You can look in the My Finance tab in Howdy and they will show up there. Make sure you have A&M listed as your first choice with College Board.

especially with AFROTC. there aren’t too many schools with AFROTC AND the scholarship is very competitive. with Army ROTC, I know they can usually get admitted even if they were rejected at first. Galveston has NROTC, so Navy contracts can get rerouted to Galveston.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful to know.

I’m pretty sure A&S do independently from engineering or mays. I’m not sure why they seem to be taking longer than mays and engineering. my oldest was a history major, applied on the last day to apply 2016 and heard back early February but he had 33 on ACT. my daughter applied mid-August 2020 (international studies) and heard back mid-December. she didn’t do so well on SAT (low 1300) both were homeschooled so no top 10% admit even though they both had 4.0 unweighted GPA. my #3 child applied this year during the first week of august (oceanography) no test score but 4.0 GPA highschool and dual enrollment at West Texas A&M. still haven’t heard. grrrrrrrr.

1 Like

@Topgolf NM Sf/F are guaranteed Presidents Endowed Scholarship (PES). The formal letter (email? I can’t remember which) for that should come late January-February. I wouldn’t expect anything before then. Some may depend on when you register for NSC also, which is considered formal acceptance’ to attend A&M. My Aggie (NM Commended, but did get PES) wasn’t offered any scholarships until she registered for NSC (she didn’t register for NSC until February).

All scholarships/awards (from A&M) will appear in the Financial Aid tab of Howdy. They’ll appear as ‘offered’ (highlighted in yellow); student will need to ‘accept’ for them to post (highlighted in green).
My student has always received an email with scholarships & awards-sometimes they’ll post to her FinAid before she gets email notification, but not always. We print out the email and keep in a binder-it’ll have info on there, like requirements, who to contact in case of a question.

Once summer starts, have your student get into the habit of checking Howdy portal and TAMU email every other day. Just a good habit to get into, as ALL communication will go to them. It’ll be info overload. And some scholarships, mainly PES, can have a deadline to accept. I do know two kids (NM Commended) who who were offered PES in late July…because 2 other kids didn’t accept on time.
Snooze you lose!

And be SURE your student pays close attention to the requirements to keep the scholarships-besides gpa, there’s usually a mandatory thank you letter (with very specific instructions how to submit), scholarships banquets are coming back after Covid. Scholarships will be taken away, if the thank you isn’t written or banquet isn’t attended. They’re hard core about that.

Has your student been accepted?

1 Like

Son just checked Howdy/AIS portal and he’s been accepted! Whoop!

Applied 11/13/22
Biochemistry major
4.0 GPA
34 ACT
4 years of Band-VP of Communications this year
4 years of Yearbook-Editor In Chief this year
5 or so AP classes scored 4’s and 5’s on all of his tests
6 or 7 Honors classes
Over 100 volunteer hours with Young Men’s Service League

He’s really excited and so am I!

I’m class of ‘85 and his older brother is Class of ‘22 (graduating 12/16/22)

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this excellent detailed information. I had no idea about any of it. Will the student be able to tell which scholarship they are offered (highlighted in yellow) without accepting it? Seems like a tough decision if the student needs to commit (aka register for NSC) before they are offered any scholarships. Wonder how would a OOS student be able to compare this school versus other schools that have offered scholarships to weigh their best option before committing.
Yes, DS got his acceptance today to CS/general Engineering, OOS :slight_smile:

1 Like

Apologize but have one more question. Looks like OOS students who get a minimum of $4K scholarship would qualify for out of state tuition waiver. Would NMSF PES scholarship ($3K/yr and $1K study abroad) qualify the student for it?

@Topgolf PES is $3k a year, the $1,000 study abroad money is a one time stipend. If a student is NMSF that qualifies for Finalist, that automatically gets them for more $, which guarantees in-state rate… There’s a link/tab on main scholarship page that is just for national scholars.
I am not certain registering for NSC is the trigger, I just know it was for us. It could easily have been coincidence in timing. Since she was Commended, she wasn’t guaranteed PES; NMS/F are guaranteed PES.

Yes, you can click on the yellow highlighted award offer to read basic details-what scholarship it is and the amount/duration, without accepting.

See this link-

https://aggie.tamu.edu/financial-aid/types-of-aid/scholarships/undergraduate-scholarships/national-scholars

1 Like

Is it applicable to Federal Pell Grant too?

My daughter received scholarships from all schools including tamu and compared financial packages/cost of attendance before deciding and accepting by registering for NSC. Decision day is May 1. They don’t need to commit before then. My daughter registered for nsc sometime in March or April , I can’t remember exactly when. But she had all the info she needed at that point to make the decision. Scholarships are awarded and in the student account should they enroll. It may happen that a student registers for nsc before the scholarship is awarded and it is awarded after they register but that is just a timing issue, registering doesn’t trigger the award. They don’t wait to issue scholarships based on committing to the school. If they do not enroll that money is then offered to another student. So after May 1 other students receive scholarships. For SMU my daughter didn’t enroll and shortly after May 1 a student posted excitedly in the SMU discussion group that they had received the scholarship my daughter had been offered. She did receive a bonus scholarship from the visualization department in the summer. I’ve heard departments often award in the summer. The university does award throughout the year as funds become available but the big main scholarships for incoming freshman are awarded in February and then after May 1.

1 Like

@despo-dad no, I don’t think a Pell Grant counts.
OOS must be offered $4k in A&M scholarships, to receive in-state tuition (which is not easy to do, usually they’re NM or National Recognition, or from an identified Century Scholar school).

3 Likes

Departments don’t make the admissions decisions. It’s all done by admissions department. Just fyi. Engineering is early because there’s early action. Mays is small and popular so they fill those spots first with auto and high scoring students.

2 Likes

My son has not received the decision yet. No change in the tabs as well. He received an email today from TAMU that his financial Aid application is incomplete. The email also included steps to follow to complete the application. One of the steps is to go to My Finances tab. He doesn’t have the My Finances tab yet. Does this mean that the decision is coming soon (hopefully positive)?

1 Like

I bet @FriscoDad or @ChristiR93 can answer this.
What are his stats and major choices, @engson2002 ?

Financial Aid office works separately from admission office. Admission office usually releases 40% of accepted decisions before winter break, still a lot in January.

1 Like

@engson2002 see reply above :arrow_up:

1 Like

Corps scholarship is also A&M scholarship. My oldest got $4200/yr and got OOS tuition waiver.

1 Like

I know it’s not departmental, but doesn’t each school consider their applications separately from other schools?

1 Like

in Howdy portal there is a financial aid portal link under “Applicant” tab. my #3 child only has 3 tabs still but he can see this.