Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

@TigerGirl06 it never pays to wait for anything at A&M. Apply early always!
Some majors-particularly Mays and Visualization- fill quickly…with no wait list.
Housing selection in the spring, is based off time stamp Housing deposit is paid; so those that get earliest acceptance (and pay their deposit right away) have 1st dibs on dorms. Dorm do fill up, too.
My student made sure all college apps were submitted by the time senior year starts. It was nice to have that behind her, and focus on senior year.

For an applicant in a school that doesn’t rank ---->holistic review. When is a reasonable time to start checking back for decisions? I want to give an expectation for my daughter as she is already checking multiple times a day.

What about for Bush School of Government?

@TigerGirl06 i know very little about the Bush School.
I’m sure @FriscoDad has some stats-how many apply, how many accepted, etc.

Political Science is moderately competitive, last year among holistic applicants acceptance rate was 36%.

Bush

1 Like

For holistic applicants, if getting high scores, can check by end of September or mid-October. Most will need to wait till January.

Once submitted application, make sure everything is green-checked. For non-rank students it is important to make sure the assigned rank is at least first quarter and SRAR showed correctly. Even when everything is green checked students have plenty of time to re-take SAT/ACT as TAMU will continue admission consideration all the way to March. If the intended major is full, TAMU will still offer something for student to consider.

It is hard to wait that long, but check once every two weeks is good enough.

2 Likes

What about TAMU’s English major? Are there any stats for that?

1 Like

@TigerGirl06 there are stats for everything. I thought you were applying for Political Science?
A 1300 SAT (A&M doesn’t super score) and not Top Ten% is hard to gauge, especially if we don’t know what quartile A&M will give you. I’d try SAT one more time.
I would not put all your eggs in one basket, you need to be applying to multiple schools, especially some Safety schools.
And get those applications submitted asap!

I am still deciding between English or Political Science, but open to both as of now

1 Like

English is a small major, for holistic see below. Small major may require longer wait.

Agree with @52AG82, a better score with first quartile will help. Admission will admit qualified students first if the desired major is full.

as23

3 Likes

Are any of you top 10% people who applied to TAMU with Mays as first choice? If so, I understand that you are admitted to TAMU already, but is it showing that you’re also admitted to Mays?

It would show Mays, just like we’ve seen some admitted to Biology, Engineering Review.

2 Likes

Hello - I have a question re: Letters of recommendation, we applied via ApplyTexas and have access to the howdy portal (all checked green), from where we should send the link to the teachers to upload the letters of recommendations? thank you.

2 Likes

Just FYI…I just spoke with the Assistant Director of Admissions at TAMU and he didn’t know about the new top 10% law for homeschoolers at all. I had to give them the law # and everything. He said “I don’t know how the university will interpret it.”

1 Like

If the change is implemented by a back-end modification to AIS that automatically ranks homeschoolers based on their grades, he might not have known about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I keep reading of people rushing to apply to TAMU for FAll 2024.

My son will be applying to TAMU, and we’re not sure if we should be rushing to apply, too.

He will be applying by the priority deadline, and his stats are:

He’s top 2% at a very large Texas high school

Major: Electrical Engineering

SAT: 1530 first and only try

National Recognition Recipient (Hispanic/Latino)

By the time he graduates high school, he will essentially have completed his Freshman yr of college (he’s sucessfully completed college level Cal 3 & Differential Equations etc…)

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Your student is way ahead.

If the goal is EE he is fine. Still apply early and have all material completed by beginning of October, he will be automatically considered for Brown scholarship. Getting this scholarship will be a major factor vs going to Ivies.

After acceptance apply to TAMU Engineering Honors as well, he will be among the best and competitive of over 890 high school valedictorians in Engineering.

Apply to UT and Rice as well if your student prefers and see which one gives your student the best offer.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply and recommendations! Very, very helpful!

He’ll definitely have everything ready to go by the beginning of October. UT and Rice are definitely on the list of schools to apply to. My husband is a Rice graduate! Hoot Hoot!

2 Likes

@YakkityYak if he wants to live on campus, he needs to apply asap! Dorm selection-in the spring-is based on time stamp Housing deposit is paid. Doesn’t matter that he’s auto admit-congrats btw, great stats-in order to have the best dorm selection, he wants to get acceptance as soon as possible & pay the non-refundable deposit.

National Recognition, I’m next to positive, isn’t guaranteed $$ at A&M, as of this year. Not sure about other schools. Just an fyi.

1 Like

Is the essay 750 or 700 max word count? I heard it changed but can’t find it anywhere.

1 Like