Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

@TNparent1 way too early for OOS & holistic to see any updates.

Please remind me if you are holistic? I thought I remembered you saying your student was homeschooled?

1 Like

@AETX based on earlier posts, @suburban is homeschooled with a 1460 sat, unless the test has been retaken.

If a 1460 SAT moved this homeschooler from first quarter to top 10%, what about students coming from non-ranking schools with higher test scores. Interesting…

1 Like

Does anyone have any idea when official acceptance letters should be going out to auto-admits?

That’s what I thought! And we’re from a non ranking school and my son has a 1510. But our AIS access was 5 days later. :thinking:

A 1510 is super impressive!

1 Like

Correct- daughter was homeschooled with 1460 SAT.

Here’s the language from the Texas ed code (which existed before HB 3993, but I’m guessing wasn’t being followed, hence the House Bill)

Education code 51.9241:
Section a (2)
“Nontraditional secondary education” means a course of study at the secondary school level in a nonaccredited private school setting, including a home school.

So, an accredited school that doesn’t rank wouldn’t qualify for this, unfortunately. But- the accreditation process lets the state know what to expect from the curriculum, grading procedures, etc so they can assign rank based on that as in the case of AETX.

I didn’t start researching this stuff until last year, but the ins and outs of Texas education law would be really helpful for many families to know in about 7th grade…

3 Likes

Have no idea for this year. We’re in the same boat. But looking at the 2027 thread, September 22nd was a big wave of them. That’s the earliest I found from last year’s thread. If so, is that pretty typical? It looked like the housing portal opened up to them a few days afterwards.

Congratulations!

1 Like

Does A&M now link to Naviance? I noticed a change in Common App. I hope this is true since many high schools utilize it to transmit LORs.

That is so exciting to see those extra tabs! Congratulations to your daughter! Yes, I agree with you that parents should start wondering about this stuff earlier. But it’s hard for someone to ask these questions if they’re not looking far far into the future. Thankfully my boys went to a high school where they made it clear freshman year that you needed to be top 10% to get into A&m and top six or seven to get into UT. I never would have thought to ask about such things though, just got lucky that we were at a ranking School that wasn’t too competitive

3 Likes

For the school of architecture, is it necessary to apply early if my senior is top 10%. Not sure if this is an impacted major like Mays. We’re hoping to get his application out sometime in early Oct.

@tofuVolley what major specifically? If Visualization, then you may already be too late-it fills up FAST!
One thing about A&M…it never pays to wait, for anything! It’s HUGE. Dorm selection is based on time stamp Housing deposit is paid, which opens up when acceptance is given. You most definitely want to be among the first to have dorm selection (in the spring). There isn’t enough on campus housing for all freshman either.
Get that application in ASAP!

Viz isn’t in Architecture anymore but this is eternally good advice!

@LaFinalista ahh, yes, I think you’re correct. We were Mays-which wasn’t touched during the reorg.

But @tofuVolley, auto admit it not, it doesn’t pay to wait to apply.

Please disregard my earlier question about Naviance link. I misunderstood my counselor’s instructions.

He would like to study architecture.

1 Like

@FriscoDad do you have stats for School of Architecture, for @tofuVolley ?

Architecture major freshmen size has been around 90 last 5 years. (below) Two-third of those are auto. So application for admission is not very urgent except those aiming for scholarships. Because of small class size, by Junior, students with good GPA receive very generous scholarships.

For those incoming freshmen who aim for scholarships, beware of the portfolio review timeline. Although more common for graduate students, every year about 2-3 incoming architecture receive scholarships.

arc

2 Likes

Thank you for the information.

If he plans to apply for any architecture scholarships, he needs to submit a portfolio? I don’t believe a portfolio is required to apply for the major.