Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

Portfolio is for scholarships. If not aiming for scholarships and just applying for admission, no need to be hurry for auto-admit.

1 Like

I don’t believe anyone has been formally accepted yet, even top 10. My daughter is top 10 and has 7 tabs since august 7th but still says in review for Mays.

3 Likes

Interesting. My ds is homschooled with a 1440 SAT and is ranked 1st quarter. I wonder if 1450 is the cutoff.

1 Like

will definitely try to get those out as soon as possible.

1 Like

Hi all, my kid , who plans to apply for the fall 2024 semester, has a 1490 in the digital SAT. We live overseas currently and he is an American citizen.
He wants to apply to the engineering school, but does not want to commit to a particular field like electrical engg yet… what is his best bet?

I assume that we’d have to pay out of state. Given his SAT scores can he expect to get some kind of grant, if accepted? Would a higher SAT score help get him a better chance at admission/ scholarship? He is open to retaking the SATs.
His freshman and sophomore year grades are quite good , but due to a variety of reasons , junior year was lacklustre… but still within top 10% of his class.

All freshman get general engineering. He’ll be exposed to all the things and then he’ll apply for specific major end of freshman year(depending on meeting requirements). Google Entry to a major Tamu engineering. It’ll tell you what you need to know.

1 Like

The following stats can be found here: Office of Academic and Business Performance Analytics (ABPA) - Home

Long story short, in fall 2022 for the engineering college, median composite SAT score was 1350. The 75% percentile started around 1390 and had a median SAT score of 1470, and it looks like that percentile accounted for about 38% of the students. So, an SAT score of 1490 would be in the upper half of that percentile, meaning in the top 20% of all students entering the college of engineering.

Unless there are outside factors, A&M generally doesn’t give scholarships to freshmen. They don’t need to attract candidates since they have more than enough to fill available slots.

1 Like

the top 10% rule only applies to in-state high schools

1 Like

Hi All, new parent to the post. What is the 7 tabs you guys referring to admission. My son is top 2% of his class and turned in his application on 8/17/23 (downloaded by TAMU). He was missing his official transcript, but has since turned it in with all green lights since 8/25/23. When can we expect to hear from TAMU?

Hey! Has anyone down the University Studies - Society, Ethics, and Law (SEAL) degree? Does anyone know anything about it?

I was told by a dean that the University Studies majors were being phased out but what the current status of them are, I don’t know.

1 Like

It’s 7 tabs in Howdy. Take a look in the '27 thread and find tons of diagrams and photos.

1 Like

@TigerGirl06 the only ppl I ever hear/see graduating with University Studies, are those who failed out of other majors, or had so many hours they couldn’t change majors into anything else. It’s viewed as the ‘last chance’ major.
Definitely not a desired degree (imo).

Yes, @LaFinalista Univ Studies was supposed to be phased out, and/or overhauled, during the big reorg.

2 Likes

By not desired major, do you mean they won’t like it if I put it on my application and show interest for it or does that mean not a lot of people take it and it’s easier to get onto?

@TigerGirl06 you’ve mentioned applying as English or Political Science, now University Studies. Have you even applied?

University Studies is not desired, meaning, it basically considered the major when all else fails, the last option. It’s what most end up with, when they have failed out of other majors.
Surprised it’s still showing up as a major option, it was supposed to be phased out.

If it were my kid, NO WAY I would let them select University Studies as 1st choice major…but maybe that’s just me. Someone else can chime in…

My attorney that I interned with advised me against Political Science, so I had to look for other options. There was a mistake on my transcript, so I have to wait for my school to fix it before I can submit it.

@TigerGirl06 are you thinking about law school?
If so, any major applies to law school, just need a high lsat score, strong gpa and great resume.

English and Political Science are 2 majors that you really need to have a plan for the future with. What’s your end goal?

Your scores/stats are terrible. What rank/quartile are you?

Yes, I am thinking about law school. So, other than my SAT score, nothing else is finalized because of my transcript error. I’m expecting my GPA to go up to 3.7 and 4.7

Last year my son got in with 1510 and just outside the top 10% and he heard back in mid september.

2 Likes

I’m an Aggie and a lawyer and the advice I give undergrad students interested in law school is (1) pick a major you’ll get the best grades in (2) pick a major that gives you a backup plan if, possibly, you get to your junior year and decide you don’t want to apply to law school. (1) is because law schools really only care about grades and LSAT and you want to maximize grades.

University Studies doesn’t give you much of a backup plan, for all the reasons @52AG82 laid out.

4 Likes