Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

@Mrsalam4134 what is his class rank? Public or private school?
Mays is very competitive, a 1250 definitely won’t help. Has he taken both SAT & ACT? Is he taking them again this summer?

1 Like

Hey! Chance me for the Bush School of Government? I am in-state with a 3.6 UW GPA (but I did take 4 UNT dual credit courses this year and have a 4.0 College GPA from UNT) and 4.5 W, as well as 1340 SAT superscore [670M, 670V] (1300 SAT original), no class rank (I’m not in the top ten percent, used to work at Chick-Fil-A and as a tutor, but now have an internship in a law firm. ECs include debate team, mock trial team, music, martial arts, and more. I want to major in Political Science. A&M is my top choice, do I have a chance of getting in?

1 Like

Will depend on where Tamu ranks you in quarters (1st or 2nd). Either way, I would retake sat or take the residual ACT at Tamu. Score needs to be higher. Tamu doesn’t super score as you probably know.

Great ECs obviously you are wanting law school. Please know that your major doesn’t matter to law schools. It’s all about LSAT and GPA. So if you’re not tied to pols then peruse other choices to keep options open and find something you really love to study.

Also… no speeding tickets. You have write an essay about every infractions you’ve ever had even if you do defensive driver or deferred adjudication. Just a friendly tip. My son just went through the app process so it’s very fresh in my mind lol

1 Like

I don’t plan to take the SAT or ACT again, but I might go test optional. I have no infractions. I do plan to apply to POLS (Political Science is what I am really interested in), do you think I have a chance? Did your son apply to the Bush School?

1300 is good just not a sure thing. I wouldn’t go test optional with that.

My son did Mays mgmt pre law track. He starts Wake Forest in August!

3 Likes

Congrats to your son! Quick questions, at my daughters school they’re required to participate in sports. It’s kind of like a PE credit it’s non-graded but they get assigned satisfactory excellent. Unsatisfactory…… how are classes like that calculated into the grade point average on the SRAR? There is no letter grade assigned in the class is not used to calculate into their high school grade point average…thanks

2 Likes

It’s not calculated.

2 Likes

Is residual ACT still given at College Station? Their page went blank and I can only find info about it at satellite campuses (Commerce, San Antonio, etc.). My D24 has a 29 ACT and won’t take it again (she’s taken it 3 times) but I could probably convince her to do it at TAMU

It sounds like they might be doing away with it. I just called. The person I need to speak to is out. I’ll try to call on Monday to confirm what’s what on this. It would be shocking if they were doing away with it.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m mad we didn’t squeeze it in last winter but she was taking it “one more time” to reach for a 30 and was pretty determined that was going to happen so i let it go

1 Like

For non-top10%, last cycle applied 511, admitted 151 so acceptance rate is 29%. Considered moderate competitive.

TAMU has all high school gdr to assign an accurate rank so it is hard to say no-rank unless homeschool. An SAT of 1400 will be more safe. Essay is important in your application. LOR even though optional try to get one from your work.

5 Likes

I’m back for a 2nd go around. I have a DS2026 that was admitted to TAMU engineering but chose to go elsewhere. Now I have a DS#2 that is applying to TAMU engineering for 2028. Both homeschooled K-12. It is so much easier this time around as I know what to expect as far as acceptances. DS#2 scored 50 pts higher on his one-sitting SAT so that is a nice place to be for him.

5 Likes

I realized I commented earlier and forgot to thank ChristiR93 for starting this thread! My kids have also always homeschooled. S 2018 and D 2021 loved their time at TAMU. It has been 10 years since oldest applied and I am grateful for all the information on these threads. RIP academic admit. S 2024wants engineering so we will see how that goes. It is starting to feel real to him now and his first choice is TAMU and second choice is a pathway into TAMU. He feels like he is done with Act/Sat testing. Anyone hear if prompts are changing on Apply Texas?

1 Like

Welcome back to the chaos cycle of applying lol. As for prompts, I haven’t heard but it’s been a while since it’s changed but if it does, I think the premise will be the same. There used to be 3 full essays so I’m glad it’s now 1 and some short answers.

Best of luck. What scores does he have for sat and act?

2 Likes

Glad to be back. ACT was pretty disappointing, but his latest SAT was 1490. I think it was 700 / 780 math. Hopefully that will be enough for full or TEAB because I don’t think he will take it again lol.

1 Like

Oh yes!!! That is a solid score. Assuming math readiness, he should get full admit (I would still apply early like august).

1 Like

Good to hear the score might work. He had to prep pretty hard for the test as we don’t really do much standardized testing until ACT or SAT.
As for as the application , I bet we all happy about having just the one full essay! Hardest type of essay to write!

1 Like

My homeschooled ds#1 was designated top 25% and got accepted into TAMU engineering with a 1390 two years ago so I think a 1490 is a great place to be, especially with a 780 math score. He might even get a top 10% designation.

3 Likes

Congrats on their acceptance! Thanks for the encouragement. Seems like the goalposts keep changing . I’m glad that we all have such a great forum for support!

1 Like

Son will be applying in August. Thanks for moderating!

3 Likes