Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

@Kms1 if TAMU did ‘round’, said student would’ve already gotten ‘acceptance’.
Nope, don’t count on rounding.

1 Like

Ha! Good point. Wishful thinking I guess. I have friends whose kids dropped from 9.9% to 10.2% because our class size got smaller between Jan and Jun. :frowning: Are the rumors true that if you have “AdmittedFall 2024 - College Station FR - Freshman” under your “MY Dashboard” and a Program of Business Administration that this is definitely into Mays even if app still says “Under Review?”

2 Likes

@Kms1 that would be a HUGE bummer to drop like that, especially due to others.

Hoping @FriscoDad can answer your question. Should mean acceptance, but the way A&M is doing things right now, is very different from past years.

2 Likes

Yeah we had some top 6% kids go crazy last year because other kids moved in and all the rankings went off. My D23 was bounced from 6 to 12 to 9.5 in the span of 12 months. People had told me that “rankings stay the same” after sophomore year but that was not the case at our school for reasons.

1 Like

Son rank 133/1308. AIS ranks him first quarter so it is pretty much done deal.
His friend doing Blinn Team ranked 139/1375 with 1460 in single attempt school SAT.

1 Like

I’m surprised the kids with such high rank and high SATs got Blinn Team instead of full admission. My daughter, niece and nephew all got full admission last year with worse stats than your son. So keep the faith! Your son has a great shot. Maybe not Mays (if full), but definitely into the TAMU College Station.

3 Likes

His friend didn’t want anything but Mays so he chose that path, the other three got A&M offer for other majors and they went to UT Dallas. I was told Asian need much better scores to get in.

If you call TAMU they won’t admit practicing diversity, but their DARS said that loudly (see way down below data). Asian’s median in Mays is 1400. So yes, Asian holistic may need much higher score to be safe.

Note that even diversity is “banned”, it just means AO cannot officially use race to award extra SI (strength index) in admission. AO can still review holistically and make decision without admitting using any rules.

Blinn Team can be good options for low barrier majors (e.g. Biology). For Mays, ever since TAMU raised the bar to 3.8 (both TAMU and BlinnTeam GPA), the successful rate dropped off the cliff from 96 in 2018 to just 18 students this Fall.

Major disadvantages of Blinn Team

1. Most classes are in short 8 weeks.
  2. TAMU limit schedule to block BT students from taking certain classes TAMU.
  3. Students cannot repeat DC class. So keeping 3.8 sometimes requires 4.0.

Here is why I think it will work for your student.

1. 10.2% is still very high ranking, his scores prove he should have no issue on Math 140/142.
  2. Consider second major Econ which your student should have full admission. Internal transfer (change of major) is easier because TAMU allocates 100 seats.
  3. Your student has no DC. So even doing BT, he doesn’t claim away any class using AP/IB at the beginning so that he can afford up to two B at Blinn, and up to one B at TAMU. Leave the claimable classes until the end of third semester and if he gets all “A” or 3.8+ GPA by third semester, he then claims away the rest of the classes and heads straight to TAMU one semester ahead.

5 Likes

Does A&M/ Mays release how many students try for those 100 seats? I would think that there are like 1000 students trying to angle in from econ/ ag business/ etc. based on all the people in last year’s thread who stated that was their intention…

My daughter transferred into Mays from Econ after her freshman year. She had a 3.9 gpa.

3 Likes

TAMU doesn’t have any tally on that, many students originally planned for Mays if they fell off the 3.8 requirement they change to other degree plans.

2 Likes

[quote=“LaFinalista, post:444, topic:3638092”]
People had told me that “rankings stay the same” after sophomore year but that was not the case at our school for reasons.
[/quote] @LaFinalista Dont understand why someone would think rankings would stay the same after sophomore year? Rank/gpa is based on fresh, soph, and Junior year. Lots can happen junior year to change ones gpa and rank. Each year contributes a third, so to speak. Am I missing something?

You’re right. I don’t know, I had friends with older kids who said that? Maybe it was true for them. We have a smaller HS so maybe less kids used to move in/ out or there weren’t as many disruptions to the kids’ education back in the before times.

If you live in Texas with that 10.2% then he is auto admit. TAMU is taking up to 10.4% this year.

1 Like

Curious how you know that, or where 10.4% is published?

3 Likes

The 10.4 was on their social media somewhere…I do remember seeing that very recently on fb. It was a graphic with a big 10.4.

1 Like

It will be nice but likely not true.
Most Texas HS ranks top 10%, anything outside the cut off is just guessing. So not likely doing 10.2 or 10 point something.
The law also doesn’t say top 10%, it just makes sure 75% of enrollment from Texas, so TAMU can lower the auto-admit cut off any time when competition grows.

2 Likes

I believe @FriscoDad is right. My son ranked 133/1308 by end of Junior year. One of few high schools still rank everyone.

He contacted admission via AIS twice, they confirmed his top 25% rank assignment. It is showing green check next to his top 25% rank.

2 Likes

@TeamJet straight from TAMU website. Never heard of rounding up or mention of Top 10.4%.

1 Like

It came straight from admissions in an email. Also a friend of mine has a son at top 10.2% and he has the green check for top 10% plus had to send his transcript.

3 Likes