Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

App opens August 1 and is due early December. One year we had a July 1 app date but that was in 2017 for fall 2018. No clue why it was like this not why they never did it again.

But yes Srar should be available now and then once you apply and get your Tamu #, it’ll be linked to your app.

1 Like

There is also a Facebook group called Texas A&M class of 2028 - Aggie Parents

Thanks!

Howdy! Son, c/o 27, accepted to Mays. Whoop! Having just been through it all, very familiar and comfortable with TAMU app process.

Daughter, c/o 28, applying 8/01 and wants to join Corps program (Navy/Marine).
NOT Band - only Corps.

Concern and question is around test scores for her major. Per NCES, she appears to fall in the (overall) median acceptance range.
Should she go test optional? Will her Corp commitment ‘help’ her chances?

Major: Forensic Science

• In State
  • Competitive public HS
  • GPA 6.02 (weighted)
  • 2nd quarter (around 31st percentile)
  • SAT 1280 (2nd try) Math 660 / RW 620
  • ACT 26 (testing again end of month)
  • 3 years HS athlete (2 different sports & no varsity)
  • Outside sports: multiple 10Ks, Jiu Jitsu, & loves to work out
  • No school clubs or leadership
  • 3 years volunteer experience - approx. 250 hours
  • 4 years part-time work w/leadership and solid references
  • Attended overnight Corp camp last Spring & possibly again this fall w/different unit
  • Aware she needs strong essay & LORs

Once member request is approved, approaching FB Aggie Corp parent’s page with same inquiry. Meanwhile, I appreciate any insight and suggestions. Many thanks!

1 Like

@TamuPrep27 if you applied to Quad Moms page, I think they require student be admitted and they don’t accept incoming freshman parents until late summer, before school starts. There are at least two Corps parent pages, and I’m next to positive at least one has those requirements. Just an fyi.

@ChristiR93 is the admissions guru.
If it were my student, I think I’d apply test optional, as neither score will help. Class rank will hurt also. Have her do intensive ACT prep and try one more time.

Congrats on Mays! It really is awesome!
Have you joined Aggie Moms/Dads of Mays Business School? (There are 2 Mays pages, the other one is smaller, doesn’t post much, doesn’t keep the page ‘strictly Mays’ parents). This is the ‘better’ Mays page (must answer all questions).

1 Like

@52AG82, thank you. Yes, applied to the Mom’s Corps page, but I don’t see the “Quad Moms” page (maybe one in the same?). I’ll check back later to see if the one that’s pending opens up for incoming freshman parents.

Thanks for the feedback regarding test optional - thought this might be the case so we will prepare accordingly. Look forward to feedback from @ChristiR93.

Excited for my son and his next four years! Mays IS awesome and yes, I’ve joined suggested FB page.

Once again, many thanks for the support! Much appreciated.

1 Like

Here’s Quad Moms, I think it’s pretty hard core. It may be the group that doesn’t allow new parents until just before summer/campus arrival.

1 Like

Yes, congrats on Mays!

As for next kiddo… 2nd quarter will hurt. Test score is average. I agree about retaking act. Need to get that score up. Not sure test optional will help with 2nd quarter unless he has some outstanding or unique attributes on his app.

1 Like

Thanks for this info. As Aug 1 is approaching fast my daughter is freaking out. An advisor just recommended she take the SAT a second time. She took ACT 3 times and received the same score all three times (27) She took SAT without prep and scored a 1310. Her fear in taking the SAT again is that it will delay her application 2 months. Her school doesn’t rank, small private classical school, so top 10% isn’t possible. GPA is 4.9/5.0. Three sports a year all 4 years, captain of two teams, student government leadership….worked during summers and been on mission trips.

Thoughts on taking SAT again even though it will delay the application?

Apply right away. You can always send additional SAT scores later. (But I would wait to see if the score is higher before sending)

What major(s) is she planning to put on the application? 1310 is a solid score, and is higher than the median score for all but the College of Engineering. I might suggest tuning out the advisor…

3 Likes

Plans on applying to 1. nutrition and 2. Allied Health

1 Like

I don’t have 2022 handy, but the 2021median SAT for College of Agriculture (Nutrition) was 1200 and Public Health (Allied Health) was 1240. In my opinion, based on actual data, her score of 1310 is solid and she should not delay her application to A&M.

1 Like

My son has a 3.5 GPA, 1250 SAT at a very competitive private school. GPA is 3.8 if you take away his 3 years of Latin grades but dont know if they look closely at classes taken. We were set to apply Aug 1 for agribusiness (open to Blinn Team) but his school counselor is saying he can wait until she has the official class size and senior schedule. He has taken several AP and honors courses but the school hasn’t finalized his schedule this year. He is also taking the SAT again on Aug, 26 and meeting with an A&M admin counselor on Aug 3. Should we apply Aug 1 and send in the new scores? I have been told by so many to submit the 1st but the counselor didn’t think a week delay was that much of a concern. Thank you for the help!

Apply early. AIS is the TAMU application portal.

If SAT is below 1350, try take it again to see if your student can get 1400. TAMU dars report showing lower median and mean, that’s because most of the applicants are top 10% with no incentive to prepare for SAT/ACT. So don’t be fooled by the lower mean and median scores in Texas colleges.

Homeschool with high scores may be assigned as top 10% in AIS.

Public schools are required by law to maintain at least top 10% ranking data. Both public and private high schools have grade distribution data so TAMU knows the rank and will assign rank in AIS accordingly. (So except homeschool cannot really claim unrank)

Students can setup and get SRAR ready now, there is no need to wait for 12th grade classes students can update later. LORs are optional and there is no reason to wait for that to start application.

1 Like

Hi, @FriscoDad my dd is planning to choose microbiology as her 1st choice and biology as her 2nd choice. Does it sound OK? I have no idea about the acceptance of a microbiology major, but biology major is popular and should be easily filled. If she put biology as her 2nd choice, it might not be helpful to get in either. Any thoughts? What’s her chances for her 1st and 2nd major?

stats:
In-state
UW 3.76 W4.47
SAT 1530 (math 790/ eng 740)
Eagle Scout and other EC

Plan to apply early August.

Thank you

2 Likes

Below is the last 5 years data combining Biology, Microbiology, Molecular and Cell Biology for non-auto.

If that is single setting SAT scores, it will be very high chance. Eagle scout is an excellent EC. Essay focus on why choosing Biology and what your student will use the TAMU degree in the future. If your student is National Merit Semi or Finalists there will be scholarships.

Apply early, no need to wait for LORs or any other optional material. Good Luck!

BIO

3 Likes

My son is in the top 10% applying to A&M. I’ve heard that you do not want to submit additional documents such as letters of recommendation as it will slow down acceptance because of holistic review process. Is this true? Thank you for your help.

Send the official transcript now, that way when application opens your student can get all required items green-checked.

LOR is optional, for top 10%, it is not required. But can be used in scholarship consideration. There is no need to wait for LOR when applying to colleges.

3 Likes

Allied Health is being discontinued and will not be accepting new students. Have your daughter check out the Public Health degree plan and see if it looks like something she would be interested in instead.

1 Like

Correct but it’s still an allied health track so they can choose to help them achieve credits to apply to nursing school.

Still solid choice but definitely need to look at end game!

2 Likes