Texas A&M College Station - Computer Science Chances and Academic Scholarships?

Hi College Confidential,

I was wondering if you guys could please chance me for the freshman regulars admission to the Texas A&M College Station Computer Science Program for Fall 2018. I’m also wondering if I could possibly get any academic scholarships? I applied to FAFSA and my EFC is 001467.

Background Information:

• Asian (I’m from Nepal)
  • Low socioeconomic level (about $40,000 annually) (I also used a fee-waiver to pay for my UT application fees)
  • I live in-state (Texas)
  • I’m a United States Citizen
  • According to The Washington Post, I go to the 14th most challenging school in the United States as of May 2017 (the school’s name is Uplift North Hills Preparatory)
  • The school I attend is small (only 99 students in my grade)

Scores and Courses:

• I sent my 30 on the ACT (35 Math, 33 Reading, 26 Science, 25 Writing)
  • My weighted G.P.A. is 4.222 my rank is 14 out of 99 (my school does NOT send rankings to colleges because the school is small and challenging)
  • I’m taking IB and AP classes (I am an IB Diploma candidate)
  • My transcript states that I “took the hardest classes offered at the school”

AP Classes and Honors I took:

• AP Human Geography (freshman year)
  • Honors Biology (freshman year)
  • Honors Geometry (freshman year)
  • AP World History (sophomore year)
  • Honors Spanish 5th year (sophomore year)
  • Honors Algebra II (sophomore year)
  • Honors Chemistry (sophomore year)
  • AP English Language and Composition (sophomore year)
  • AP Biology (junior year)
  • AP US History (junior year)
  • AP US Government and Politics (junior year)
  • AP Microeconomics (junior year)
  • AP Macroeconomics (junior year)
  • Honors Pre-Calculus (junior year)
  • AP BC Calculus (senior year)
  • AP Computer Science A (my school didn’t offer the course, but I’m taking the exam in May 2018)

IB Classes I took:

• IB English (junior and senior year)
  • IB TOK (junior and senior year)
  • IB Spanish 6th and 7th year (junior and senior year)
  • IB History of the Americas (senior year)
  • IB Economics (senior year)
  • IB Math (senior year)

Essays and Short Answers:
According to my IB English teacher, my 3 short answers and essay topic A were “excellent and portrayed myself well.”
^ My IB English teacher has taught AP and IB English for over 10+ years.

Expanded Resume:
My expanded resume is about 7 pages long, so I decided to provide a link to the pdf file instead:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0F_e2mnxZnfQTg3Q3IzYnVBODQ
^ I’m using the same expanded resume as my UT Austin resume.

Recommendation Letters:

• Will send 1 letter from the Director of Programs from my web-development/cyber-security internship
  • Will send 1 letter from my Pre-Calculus Honors Teacher from 11th grade
  • Will send 1 letter from my College Counselor

I will finish and send everything for my Texas A&M application by November 1st

Oops, according to what I say when "According to my IB English teacher, my 3 short answers and essay topic A were “excellent and portrayed myself well.” I meant my 3 essays and my engineering short answer.

Bump

@Shadowsych

You do realize that UT and TAMU do not consider GPA or the name of the school that you go to right?

It doesn’t matter if you went to some prep school or a normal high school.

This doesn’t make any sense. UT and TAMU only take class rank from in-state schools (not GPA).

@RMNiMiTz
UT looks at your GPA if your school does not rank and compares it with other students from your same school, and UT makes a ranking based off of that.

I’m not sure if the same goes for Texas A&M College Station.

@Shadowsych

That’s basically the same thing.

Shorten that resume to 2 pages.

Last year, anecdotal evidence (i.e. stories here, our experience personally and with students in my kids class) showed that merit from TAMU was tight. The ONLY people we know of who got merit at TAMU were either NMFs, in the Corps of Cadets OR had demonstrated financial need or were URM (which you will not be).

Some other points to consider:
-apply to honors if you want to be considered for merit
-have nerves of steel because a lot of scholarships trickle in super late—like May or June.

D got $0.00 in academic scholarships from TAMU. 34 ACT and #10 rank/675. Zero.

Update: I was admitted today for Computer Science. Thanks everyone for your replies :).