Texas A&M Corps of Cadets and Scholarships

My son is very interested in joining the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M. However, he would need scholarships because he would be an out of state student. Does anyone know anything about scholarships connected to the Corps and what the requirements are for the scholarships? Thank you.

@mmplain

The Corps scholarships are merit-based scholarships that utilize the information given in the ApplyTexas scholarship app.

Unless your son already has $2-$3,000 worth of scholarships, it is unlikely he would get in-state tuition. The most common given to freshman is the Sul Ross (worth $1,200 a year), which leaves $3,800 in university scholarships.

Thank you for your response. I want to make sure I manage his expectations. Do you by chance know the stats of the students being awarded merit scholarships? Thanks again.

@mmplain I received Sul Ross ($1200). 1440 SAT, 14% Class Rank, Some EC’s, , 13 AP classes, Male. Of the 30 or so kids at SNWC, only one received a scholarship above Sul (which was $2000). Never saw anyone receive a higher scholarship($3 to $4k). Can you state your son’s stats?(or PM them to me).

If he’s looking at the Corp of Cadets, then he’s probably interested in the military too. He could get an ROTC scholarship and that would cover his tuition regardless.

You should call the Corps of Cadets office next week, and possibly the ROTC office if that’s something that your son is interested in. They could give you the best information.

My son received the $4000 scholarship necessary to waive out-of-state tuition. 32 ACT, President NHS, varsity athlete, 4.4GPA at the time of application. I can’t remember his class rank exactly, probably around top 6-7%.

How does your son like the corps cadets?
I’m considering the cadets for fall 2019. I’m an out of state student hoping for a scholarship to waive the out of state tuition. Was your son’s scholarship from the corps cadets or a university scholarship?
Do you recall when he received the award notification?

I received a 1380 on sat (which I had taken the act)
4.5 when applied, 1/ 268 class rank.

Just really hoping for a little money to off set that out of state tuition

@Cyla, this thread is nearly a year old and the member has no posted since June 2018. If you click on the user name, you can message them directly and they will get a notification in their email that they have a PM.

@Cyla I strongly encourage you read my thread “Texas A&M Corps of Cadets 2017- Why it’s hard, especially for out of state”. You don’t join the Corps like a club, you are enlisting in a full-time military life (whether you actually commission into the real military after college or not). If becoming a military officer is your goal, there’s no better training. If that’s not your goal, then I recommend you find another way to fund your education.