Texas A & M current parent

Dear Parents,
Many of you have helped us make the decision of choosing Texas A & M for my then high school son’s Computer Engineering program, He was admitted to Ohio State ; UIUC; Georgia Tech and chose Texas A &M. Out of state tuition was a consideration as well. A 4.0 student with ACT subject scores in Math and Chemistry, He was in Engg. honors in the first year. Came out with a 3.4 GPA so out from Honors program at the end of first year. Since we moved to Texas, we are getting in-state from second year onward.

The third semester was pretty hard on him. With the knowledge that he has been a hard working student and always getting A in high school and have spent a lot of sleepless nights; this was a blow. The GPA went down to 2.7.

Now the 4th semester, he Q dropped one paper. Among the rest, he might get a D on another. Other students tell us it is the bell curve and the known lower level GPA of TAMU that is causing the trouble. On the other hand, few other parents tell us, there is no point in graduating with a less than 3.0 GPA.

I am looking for some suggestions. Is it that the way he studies is not right? He vehemently opposes that thought and tells us he puts in his hard work. Our concern is ‘is there something that he misses but not aware that he is missing that?’ He is making good grades in projects and programming assignments, but the tests pull his GPA down.

Should we go talk to professors? But will that negatively reflect on his ability to navigate in a large school?
Is it better if we transfer him to a regional university or let him continue there taking summer courses and if required an extra semester ? However given his high school transcripts, is it a bad thing to take 9 semesters to graduate?

Thank You again for your help,

This sounds very familiar to me, even though my older son is at UT in Austin studying computational biology, not at TAMU. My son received some very poor grades early on, in spite of the fact that he’s a very smart kid. Part of this was clearly his doing, not doing assignments, not meeting schedules, not going to class, etc. However, he is finishing now his third semester of pretty heroic efforts to finally get mostly A’s in his classes. I believe that it is much more commonplace than we might expect to see students get C’s and D’s. Our son has employed every tactic in order to get good grades at this point. He always attends classes, he works with his fellow students, he goes to office hours, and so on and on. He continually reviews during the semester in order to make sure that he’s ready for comprehensive finals that can count up to 40% of the final grade. He has legitimately encountered classes that are clearly weed out classes, with slanted weighting of early assignments in order to encourage students to drop. My son has Q dropped 3 classes so far. At UT, they are allowed 6 Q drops. We have accepted that this is the way he was able to avoid grades that would hurt his GPA. He also researches professors before registration, and is alert to the need to transfer course sections. In other words, he basically does everything possible to help his grades. This is essentially a full-time management job in itself. You mentioned possibly taking 9 semesters with your son. In order to improve his GPA, our son is taking additional classes in in order to help himself. He is taking some online extension courses from UT, which do have grades assigned. He will also take an extra class or two. His goal is to get back to a 3.0 GPA, because his research has indicated that this is what he needs for employment or for graduate school. I would advise your son to be very, very strategic about managing his grades. This has been our experience, and I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your son throughout the entire semester, and provide suggestions wherever you can. If he is truly committed to making good grades, he will figure out how to do it. This can take a bit of time to learn.

We told our son that he should stay where he is, learn to overcome, and stay in school until his GPA gets to a 3.0. It will take as long as it takes. If your son is committed to learning how to get good grades, he will figure it out in another semester or so. I wouldn’t move him based on what you have said here. Good luck. Believe me, he isn’t the only student making these kind of grades.

My son does all the extra credit he can, as well. Yes, it’s a lot of work.

I can’t speak for Computer Engineering at TAMU, but here is my story. Back “in the dark ages” when I was in college, (different U, different State) I went through something like your son is going through. I had always easily made great grades without studying and was Salutatorian of my HS, BUT my HS was a poor performing HS and I had never learned how to study efficiently.

After my first shocking Semester of college, I ended up taking biofeedback classes (as part of a project administered by the Psychology Dept. and referred by the Student Health system) in order to deal with a sudden case of overwhelming Math Anxiety. I went to every professors office hours and joined study groups. There was no tutoring available that I was aware of, and I couldn’t have afforded anything that cost extra anyway. I had Work Study as part of my Financial Aid, so I had little extra time, but I struggled on. It was humiliating at first, but I eventually learned how to study efficiently.

And sometimes, having a good professor was the key. I flunked OChem the first time that I took it. I made a C on the first test (which was actually a great grade in that class) and when I went to that professors office hours, he shocked me by saying that “if I spent 5 minutes with every student, I wouldn’t get any research done!!” So that Semester, I focused on my other classes and made As in those classes and an F in OChem. When I repeated OChem, I had a much nicer professor who took time to explain and I made an A. I saw my first prof in an elevator and told him I was making an A in OChem with a BETTER PROFESSOR and he was shocked! If tutoring had been available/affordable for me, I probably could have pulled off a C in the first OChem class even with a rotten prof, but my other classes would have suffered during that semester. I graduated a couple of Semesters “late” with a gpa above 3.25, about in the upper third of that class. And later in life, at age 30, I joined Mensa.:slight_smile: A high IQ does not mean that EVERYTHING will ALWAYS come easily.

Is there a particular type of class that he is having difficulty with? Is it the core curriculum or his Computer Engineering major classes? Is it writing papers that is difficult or Math/Science? See if there is a pattern to his difficulty. Maybe there is something that his HS just did not teach him. It does sound like there is something that he is missing. Your son may think that he is studying efficiently, but what worked for him in HS is obviously NOT working for him at TAMU. It is time to change the plan.

Even though he is adamant that he is studying efficiently, it sounds to me like tutoring would be a BIG help. I have friends whose children were TAMU Engineering students (neither of my daughters are) and they insisted that their children go to tutoring from their first through last TAMU semesters, even when they were making As. Even if they only worked on Homework at the tutoring sessions, it was worth it to them. That way, if the student had even one question, there was someone nearby to answer that question quickly and that meant less time wasted. But also, if there was some concept that the student just wasn’t getting, the tutor could help them with it BEFORE it showed up on the final! There are a lot of great tutoring places near campus. A LOT of people go there, there is no shame in getting tutoring. It is a lot more stressful to work hard and still not make good grades. There is help available for writing papers that I think is available on campus. Check out all of the resources available and have him choose where to go.

I wouldn’t worry about having him take longer than 4 years to graduate. A LOT of people take extra time. And hopefully, he is in the appropriate major for him. Maybe now that he knows more about that major, perhaps there is something else that fits his unique interests/strengths. Teenagers shouldn’t have to make a decision about their majors before they even know what else is out there in the big world.

Having some 'down time" and some sort of fun activity is also necessary for his mental and physical health. If he is just studying all the time, he is not studying efficiently and the stress isn’t good for him. If he is playing too much, then he needs to cut back on the fun stuff. He should have a healthy ration of fun time to studying time which will also equal good grades.

There is no life badge earned for continuing to struggle on his own when there is help available. He is not lost and alone in the wilderness or a deserted island or sinking ship, where he would be just trying to find enough food/shelter/safety to survive minute by minute. He is at a major US University where there is abundant help. He just has to utilize it. If he was lost and alone in the wilderness, would he turn down readily available help? Would he say “No thanks, I want to survive on my own, I don’t want your help?” Probably not.

I hope it works out well for him.

@AggieMomAgain is making two truly excellent points here. Your son should have no compunction about getting tutoring or abundant other help–whatever will help him. Current educational research and good practice says that we learn a lot from working with peers or tutors. In other words, going it alone is not best learning practice at all. Also, the point about looking for patterns is absolutely right! You all will be able to figure out what are his greatest stumbling blocks–test studying, writing reports, whatever they might be. Then address them. Arrange help yourself to help address the issues if needed. My son has a perfectionism-type block when writing lab reports even though he is a top shelf writer in general. My sister has a history of the same, not to mention being a professional family counselor, and she overcame that issue. I asked her to talk with him, and they have spoken by phone. I also found that rallying as many family members as possible to keep in contact with my son seems to have helped to give him moral support and help ease feelings of isolation. I will try absolutely anything if it has any chance of helping. School can be very demanding. We need to address the entire situation sometimes.

@MomToMove Kudos to YOU. YOU are doing the right thing by asking for ideas here. Someone will give you the ideas you need. My son went from failing classes and being dismissed for a semester to being an A student. It can be done.

Thank You very much @MomHopesNxtGenAg and @AggieMomAgain. Your suggestions help a lot. Today his professor agreed to change one D to C. At least he does not need to repeat that course. He is taking summer classes. One he did get in and the other is a force request that is not sure yet. He will continue at TAMU. Appreciate taking time out of your busy schedule to answer this thread.

Good news! He has learned to ask about his grade, another school life skill. Judging from his original college acceptances, he is a capable and intelligent person. There is a lot to learn, and not just course content. Your unwavering support will get him there. Take care.