(Texas A&M) Do engineering spots fill up before the deadline?

Hey guys, I’ll be submitting my application for Engineering at Texas A&M in a couple of days but I’m really worried that it’s too late to get into my major (Computer Science). I have automatic admission for being in Top 10% but I’m really worried about the part where it says I will get admitted but not necessarily to the major of my choice. Does anybody know if spots fill up way before the deadline or does anybody have any experience with a similar situation? Thanks in advance.

@qpooqp It depends on your qualifications and readiness for the major of engineering whether you will be accepted into general engineering. In the spring of your freshman year, you will apply to your prefered major, after you have completed the required core with acceptable minimums. B
What are your AP’s? What maths and physics have you taken? What is your SAT/ACT score?
Right now, engineering has a 55% retention rate and to improve that, all engineering applicants are now undergoing holistic review to make sure they have the background to be able to be successful in the first semester of freshman year with Math 151 (engineering Calculus) and Physics 218. With the old system, spaces filled on a first come, first served basis as applicants were admitted to the university. Now, while an auto admit, your app will undergo review to see that you are a qualified candidate for the program, ready to hit the ground running the first week of school. Since you did not apply for early decision (deadline Oct 15) you will receive your decision sometime in January. Read the TAMU admissions page for the applicants who have been admitted ED. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1921073-tamu-class-of-2021-engineering-admission-decisions.html#latest

@qpoogp - I am not clear on your process. There are two Computer tracks in the department. For Computer Engineering, the decision is whether to accept you into the first-year general engineering program. From there, you will apply to a major during your freshman year. For Computer Science, the process may be different as I see the first-year classes are different than those for other engineering students. I don’t know whether you will be admitted directly into Computer Science or if its like the process for Computer Engineering program. You should post your question on the Texas A&M forum. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/

Like @Thelma2 (who knows ten-times more than I do) says, you should provide more information in your question.

I believe both Computer Science and Computer Engineering are part of College of Engineering. My son just admitted to General Engineering with Computer Science as a first major

@ACT2017 - Yes they are both in Engineering. But it doesn’t look like formal admission to computer engineering is until 2nd or 3rd semester. Freshman classes are basically the same as for all freshman engineering students. Computer Science looks different, but maybe the website has not been updated. Best to call the department.

(The moderators are really on the ball and moved the thread over here.)

@ACT2017 is correct. Both Computer Engineering and Computer Science are part of the COE. Students in both begin in general engineering and apply to their major in the spring of their freshman year. In the past, those with a preference for Computer Science were not required to take ENGR 111 and 112, or PHYS 218 and 208. They must now take ENGR 111 and 112 as part of their first-year curriculum. The degree plans/curriculum have changed over time: https://engineering.tamu.edu/cse/academics/degrees/cs/bs

@Thelma2 @Beaudreau @ACT2017 @lee6666 Ok so if I’m an auto admit I will for sure get accepted to go to A&M at least right? I was worried that if I didn’t get accepted to my major, I couldn’t go to A&M but it seems that you apply once you’re already in. My stats are decent but not espectacular, 1300 SAT twice (650/650 and 630CR/670M), I will have taken both AP Physics 1 & 2, Calc AB & BC, AP CompSci, AP Biology and like 4 other dual enrollment classes. I’m in the top 9% with a weighted 3.92. So the only thing that determines whether you get into engineering (once you’re in the general college) is if you’re ready for it or not? Also, thank you all for your responses, really helped out! :slight_smile:

@qpooqp Yes, since you are an auto admit, you will be accepted into Texas A&M in College Station. Having AP physics 1&2 plus Calculus AB & BC sets you up to be a good candidate for admission to general engineering. Get that app in along with everything required and add in all the optional things as well. Good Luck and post in the decisions thread when you get yours.

@Thelma2 Thank you!

Maybe I misread your reply, but to be clear - you apply to Texas A&M University (step 1) then your application gets forwarded to COE (step 2) for holistic review, you will get an answer from COE ( College Station campus, Blinn Engineering, Galveston Engineering) , ( step 3) Then YOU decide: accept given path to engineering or pick another open major at College Station campus. IF you select COE, you will take courses and then apply to your specific major at a later date within COE - you can change your mind as to which major you want to apply to within COE.

PS - to my other fellow posters, if I’ve got this wrong please correct me :slight_smile: The pathway to an engineering major has changed quite a bit in the last several years.

@AGmomx2 You are perfectly correct. complete, and concise. I was not near as thorough or clear in my explanation.

@qpooqp you said you’ll be applying for computer science… i’m a bit confused. my son is applying for computer science too. when is the deadline for application? engineering major deadline early action was last oct 15. is the deadline for computer science major dec 1 then? thanks!

@gmc0508 early decision deadline for all engineering applicants was Oct 15. The regular deadline is Dec 1, tomorrow at 11:59pm.