Texas A&M economics

I applied to A&M as a economics major
I have a 3.0 overall GPA but I struggled in non business classes that I took while I was a chem major my first year. Outside of that I have around a 3.8 in courses related to economics/business classes that I am taking. Would would be my chances of getting in? thanks

@miraclxs How many credits do you have and what is your cumulative GPA with all credits? Also, have you taken and completed the required courses??

I have 60 right now, I have a cumulative 3.0. I have done all required courses. Thank you for responding!

3.11 actually

@Miraclxs You have the bare minimum GPA and the max hours for transfer. There are other criteria they will look for. Here is the transfer course sheet for the BA http://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-transfer2018/LA18-EconBA.pdf and the BS http://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-transfer2018/LA18-Econ-BS.pdf

@miraclxs That is going to be tough with that GPA. Have you been active so show your passion for econ? That’s just another thing they look at on top of what Thelma gave you links to. Will you have 60 credits at the end of this semester or already?

already have 60 credits i took some dual credit in high school.

You are at the max hours my friend. Will depend on how they look at this. I’m assuming your are taking credits now…

Yeah I was wondering why the 60 hour max thing matters I talked to someone from the economics department and they told me that it would hurt my chances, 2nd major I put was communications and the credit limit is 75.

Econ and comm are drastically different majors. What’s your end game… as in career goal?

I really only want to Major in Econ if I transfer but just applied as 2nd option just to see what would happen. I don’t think I would transfer for a comm major if I got accepted for it. I’m currently a finance major at UTD and my goal is to be a financial analyst or a corporate banker, those type of jobs. My thought process on choosing comm major is that I want to get my Masters in finance anyway. But I’d likely just stay at UTD if not accepted for Econ. An Econ B.S with a masters in finance was my goal for A&M.

Awe gotcha. That’s what my son is doing too. He applies in September for the ms finance program. So tough. Do you like UTD?

I don’t mind it here I just wanna have a true college experience I guess. I live at home still and so I wanna experience dorm life and a true college atmosphere.

Well worst case… can you move onto campus at UTD?