Texas A&M Engineering Academy at Blinn

<p>Hi</p>

<p>Texas A & M has given full admission but has been unable to offer me a space in the Dwight Look College of Engineering. However they have suggested that I apply to the TEAB (Texas A&M Engineering Academy at Blinn). I would like to know if this is a good alternative. Thank you,</p>

I think it depends on your situation. My son was offered the same thing. However, he is an out of state student–with credentials higher than some of the students offered direct admission to Dwight Look. In addition, he has been attending our local community college full time in lieu of his senior year of high school. (i.e., he doesn’t even attend the high school campus.) The only reason he wasn’t automatically admitted was because he was only taking one semester of science (in college) which typically equals a year in high school. Admissions would not accept this as a full year–even though it was a college class.

He has been offered Engineering admission to Purdue, Penn State, Rutgers, NC State and Minnesota. In addition, he has received scholarships to four of those schools so far. Therefore, he will NOT be attending BLINN. Why would we pay out of state rates to attend a community college? Read the fine print in the acceptance. There are all sorts of criteria that have to be met and I believe they guaranteed admission to Texas A & M but not necessarily the College of Engineering.

We were just disappointed they didn’t take a more holistic review of his app and really look at his course load. But we understand because he is an out of state student and they have an obligation to provide the students from Texas with an education. He’ll probably start at Purdue with 30 credits to his name. Can’t complain about that. :smile:

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION. Do what’s right for you.

@kooth12 My son is an OOS freshman at TAMU, Dwight Look. Because of Texas’ legislative requirements, TAMU is only 3% OOS students. I know that they would love to take more OOS, but the legislature has spoken.

We loved Purdue, and if Purdue had offered as much merit aid as TAMU we might have made a different decision. It’s a great engineering school with a huge alumni network. Your choice is a no-brainer.