Texas A&M Engineering Chances

@lessonwitch2

No offense to OP, but if he has good enough stats to rack up 50k in local scholarships, he would probably be going to his state school (which he states is better than tamu), rather than tamu.

@RMNiMiTz while I don’t know how competitive local scholarships are in Washington, l but I think anyone can win local scholarships! It doesn’t take much “skill” it just takes persistence. The majority of scholarships that I won are outside scholarships and OP has MUCH better stats then me. (especially as a Junior!)

Regardless of stats, you can win if you show college readiness. And it is way easier to win local scholarships because very few people bother looking let alone finding them! Most high ranking students with high test scores get cocky and think that their dream schools will give them all the money they need. So normally, people that apply for local scholarships tend to have much lower stats.

@lessonwitch2

If you don’t mind putting out a few examples, what sorts of scholarships did you get?

@RMNiMiTz I got Scholarships that from the city of College Station (like the Texas Student Housing Authority that reduces room and board for someone attending college in College Station, Austin or Denton Texas) and local chapter Scholarships like the Engineering Foundation award and Executive Women International Scholarship Program that happen to have scholarships for students from Dallas Texas only.

Every county should have local Scholarships like that. The best way to find them is by asking your schools Scholarship counselor about Scholarships for your city .

@RMNiMiTz and @slingam00 Go to your school’s counseling office. Ask them if they have a list of scholarships to apply for. Our hs has a lengthy one. Some of them are from within our own hs that alumni have set up in honor or memory of someone, plus city organizations. Ask your parent(s) to find out if their employer has scholarships for employees kids. They are out there, you just have to look for them.