Texas A&M engineering chances

I am a current senior in Texas. My stats are below. What are my chances of getting full admission or blinn-bryan engineering academy?
Major: Computer Engineering
Rank 122/1129
ACT: 29(E:28, M:29, R:33, S:27)
EC’s: 4 years of speech and debate, software engineering internship, My alpha theta, National Honor Society, Nehs, Republican club, more than 130 hours of volunteer service.

Chance me

The ACT could be better, but you have a shot. I’d say 50/50 at best if you’re a Texas resident. You’ll want to apply to a variety of schools. If the school doesn’t have computer engineering, don’t worry if you end up with computer science or something similar. With computers, there’s a ridiculous amount of overlap, so your major concentration really won’t mean much. It’s very common for CS, CE, EE, etc to end up in overlapping jobs and do just fine. The real education is learned on the job. In fact, most tech graduates end up in IT and spend a whole career never looking at a math problem.

I would concur with what @coolguy40 has said about different types of majors gravitating toward computer work professionally of one sort or another. In fact, there are many students who just choose to get a minor or minor-like certification in computing (or are talented self-taught folks) and do very well with this in the “real world”. One caution would be that computer skills acquisition tends to be easier for those with a technical background. Yes, because of the very rapid pace of change and general complexity, it is important to get into a job where you can really learn to get good at your computing-related work. It can take years to get even reasonably adept. You want ideally to get the academic background in current high demand computing topics that would get you in the door, however.
Last year was a very difficult year for even quite good students to be admitted. Everyone should have a back-up plan or plans. Could you take/retake SAT or ACT and get academic admission-level scores and subscores? There should be time to try again.

I’m fine with full admission or blinn bryan. Does anyone know what the requirements for the blinn bryan engineering academy is?
@Thelma2 @MomHopesNxtGenAg

@AnikethB
There are no specific requirements for Blinn Engineering Academy. TAMU fills the seats in College Station and then makes admissions offers to for the seats in Galveston for general engineering and the seats in the academy.

In the past, we say collage station decisions, then Galveston decisions and then the engineering academy decisions. Last year, for the first time, we say applicants offered more than one choice. While some received only Galveston or Academy, some were offered a choice of Galveston, Blinn Engineering Academy or Engineering Academy at McAllen. I used to keep stats on all of this and while I tried to last year, life kept me too busy and I couldn’t keep up with it all, so unfortunately, I don’t have any criteria to tell you what applicants were offered Galveston/Academies.

So some people graduated from my school with lower stats and got into blinn bryan engineering academy. My question is, if I am admitted to Blinn Bryan, when I graduate in 2024, are employers going to know or care that I started in Blinn, or do they only see that I passed out of A&M. @Thelma2

@AnikethB absolutely no one cares where you start. If an employer cares, then move on. Blinn Bryan academy is considered admissions to tamu anyway. It’s a privilege to even have that as an option.

@AnikethB Recommend retaking ACT or taking SAT. You could qualify for Academic Admission with a better total score and qualifying subscores. Many engineering applicants will have SAT-equivalent scores above 1360. I believe that’s equivalent to an ACT score of 31. Are you also taking solid advanced math and physics classes? Many engineering applicants will have a lot of AP or dual credits in these fields if their high schools offer them. As @Thelma2 has said, after TAMU accepts the auto and academic admits, they go down their lists and start offering the slots in Blinn Bryan engineering academy, etc. to selected students. It will be very late winter/early spring before this happens, if the last few years are any guide. It is very competitive now to even be offered a Blinn-Bryan engineering academy slot, so please put your best foot forward in your application. Last year was even more competitive than the year before. Your friends may have been admitted in earlier years, so we would caution you about either retaking the ACT or taking the SAT, having a solid alternative plan, or really putting a lot of stand out effort into your application.

I

I think you’re set because you’re in the top 10%. Probably should retake the act for at least a 31 though. Btw also I’m a senior in high school. I and trying to apply for electrical or mechanical engineering at A&M college station. My rank is 99/573 in my high school (3.72 GPA) My sat is a 1380(610 EBRW, 770 M). I have a part time job since June 2019, about 5 honor societies, I used to volunteer every week at a local Tamil school (nonprofit). I used to do the math and science club as well. My AP classes include physics 1 and physics 2, Calculus BC, (dual credit) US history, And Comp Sci A. This year I’m doing physics C stats Econ and gov for APs. I did mess up my freshman year (rank 165) btw. Sorry for the long post, and thank you for responding if you do.

@Gargantuan65m
That 770 SAT math subscore… Wow!! If the Reading/Writing can be brought up to a 660+, you would have Academic Admit into A&M.
Have you tried the ACT, and/or considered doing the one through A&M where it is scored within 24 hours?
Hopefully you will have a great shot at Engineering anyway, especially with the fantastic Math score and all the AP Physics & Calculus classes you’re taking.

@bargainshopper75 Thank you For responding! I appreciate the help. One more thing: if I want to do early deadline how do I send in my October sat? The scores come back around the 18th and the deadline is the 15th. I tried doing the act but my 21 on reading brought my score down to a 28 btw. Also they said no academic admits for engineering now. It’s holistic I think, but I want to raise reading and I don’t know how. Also I think I finished all my AP classes with an A, except physics 1. Do you know if they have access to individual years’ grade because my rank is mostly what it is because of my 9th grade year.

Also add to that an industrial. Engineering internship last summer and a part time job at kumon plus 90 volunteering hours

@Thelma2 -
Thoughts on the above questions from @Gargantuan65m ? You know much more about Engineering specific timeline & requirements ??

@Gargantuan65m -
Regarding individual years grades, I believe they do see each year because you would enter each semester or year’s grades on your SRAR, and then your Transcript would also show it if/when you send it in.

Do you go to oak ridge? I think I faced you in a debate round once @AnikethB . Anyway try the sat again because math is an easy 800. ACT is longer and harder to study for. But your rank is really high.

@bargainshopper75 last question, do you think I should retake the sat and do late deadline or just submit whatever i have at the moment and then do priority deadline?

That problem with us applying to A&M is that well mid the priority deadline and the scores won’t get back on time so we don’t know how we did.

@Gargantuan65m

Submit what you have now and submit the new SAT scores after the Oct. 15 deadline. Make sure to select that your scores automatically be sent to A&M. It is faster than manually request and you don’t pay for it to be done.

Academic Admit is for University admissions, not engineering admissions. If you are an Academic Admit to the university, you would get your admissions decision within a week or two and would be more likely to get a seat in College Station for engineering than a review admit to the university might.

Don’t worry about the Oct 15 deadline. If you are a review admit for admission to the university, most review admits don’t receive decisions until after January, regardless when they applied.

If you become an academic admit to the university with your new SAT score, you could still receive a decision by December. It happens every cycle. So does auto and academic admits being deferred to Jan despite applying by Oct 15.

In past cycles, review applicants to the university, who had high test scores, most were offered first year at Galveston in general engineering, However, some review applicants to the university are offered a seat in College Station.

@Thelma2
So, I should submit what I have and also submit my October one? It’s past the priority deadline though right? How does that work? Also, based on the stats above what do you think of my chances of getting in.
Thanks.

@Gargantuan65m oh snap, I do go to oak ridge. We might have actually gone up against each other. What’s your name and what school do you attend?

I hope I can get in with my rank, because I am 9 spots away from Automatic admission, and like you, I also did an engineering internship over the summer. Now all that is left is to wait.

@AnikethB and @Gargantuan65m

Don’t post your personal info on the forum. PM each other for that.

@Gargantuan65m being in 1Q and with your math score, you will get into the engineering in CStat.

Don’t give the early decision deadline any worry. As a review applicant, it doesn’t matter when you apply. Your app goes behind the auto and academic admits and very unlikely to get a decision before January.

If you make academic admit with the new score, it bumps you up to getting your university admissions within a week or so of processing the new score and more likely to be offered a seat in Cstat, as those applicants are considered first for a seat.

The Oct 15 date is to get folks to apply early with the anticipation of getting a decision soon so the school won’t be swamped at Holiday Break sorting through them all and trying to get acceptances out at various locations in a short period.