Texas a&m engineering

ACT: 33 - Best subscores: (Math: 35, Reading: 32, English: 35, Science: 29)
SAT: 2050
Unweighted GPA: 3.3
Weighted GPA: 3.82

Sports: Tennis - JV 2 years, Varsity 2 years
Clubs: 1.Mu Alpha Theta(Math Honors Society) - Helped volunteer with many middle school competitions and other math type events.
2. BPA(Business Professionals of America): All 4 years, but made it to state 2 years, and nationals 2 years
3. Scholastic Bowl - 2 years - JV 1 year, Varsity 1 year
Volunteering: Alive community Center in Naperville, and feed my starving children
Work exp: Working as math tutor, started fall of this year.

Can I get chanced for computer engineering or mechanical? Thanks

I also did a purdue engineering summer camp and a program called saturday morning physics at fermilab.

bump

Are you in state, what’s your class rank, what date did you apply, and what does your Howdy portal/ais say? Are you in engineering review?

If you are in review, it is hard to say what your chances are to being admitted to engineering. It seems the school filled to its 75/85% capacity in early Nov through its rolling admissions process and the last spots are being filled holistically.

No one has chanced you yet I imagine because they just don’t know. It’s just too hard to say at this point.

Good luck

Yo I just got my results in today, I dont know about you. I was placed in Engineering Review and I got in to the engineering program directly. I had a similar GPA and exact same ACT score. If you’re essays are strong enough, you should be good. Im in naperville too, and was in JV2 for nvhs along with BPA.

@tankr98 what was your exact weighted and unweighted GPA? Also, does class rank really matter? Also, what chances do you think I have for Purdue and uiuc engineering? Thanks

@illini23 Weighted :3.92, i dont know my unweighted, I’d assume around the 3.3 - 3.4 area. Class rank is good to have on your side, as long as you are in the 1st quarter. As for purdue and UIUC, I’m also waiting for it.

I’m actually a junior right now lol @tankr98 did you get into purdue and uiuc?

I’m curious about my chances too. I’d like to go into aerospace and my state doesn’t have that, because there are hardly any people here. My brother is at TAMU in nuclear engineering, for the same reason. Does that help me?

-GPA 98.9 % don’t know if we do class rank, I’ m either 1st or 2nd.
-ACT 34. 35 R 35 E 30 m and 36 S. No SAT
-AP this year- Stats, US History, Chem next year probably AP Calc and AP Euro at least. That’s about all we have at my school. Probably dual credit computer class.
Everything else is honors except stuff like PE and band
-Eagle Scout- Hiked Teton Crest Trail, National Jamboree, tons of volunteer work & other high adventure camps.
-I’m pretty good at the French horn: First chair. Senior Horn Award at a regional summer music camp (twice). Superior rating at State. First chair tri-county Honor Band (three times so far).
-A bunch of science bowl and academic competetion teams but we haven’t won much to speak of.
-Space Camp in Huntsville (NASA)
-Maybe National Merit something. My advisor thinks so, anyway.

Could I get into engineering at TAMU? What about honors? Thanks!

Also, should I try for a higher score in math? Thx

@emptyMT - My son is an OOS Honors sophomore in Aerospace Engineering and is a NM scholar. TAMU offers a very good AE program. You should qualify automatically for TAMU admission through Academic Admission:

• rank in the top quarter of their graduating class on or before the application deadline, and
  • achieve SAT or ACT test score minimums (including Writing scores), and combined SAT score of at least 1300 (Math and Critical Reading) with at least a 600 in each of these components, or composite ACT score of at least 30 with at least a 27 in the Math and English components,

If you do qualify for National Merit and name TAMU, you should also qualify for in-state tuition plus a $10,000 per year scholarship. You do have to maintain a 3.5 GPA. You should also get into the Honors College.

Now these are the current programs, so we can’t be sure about next year, but they have been the same for several years.

For engineering, there is a separate admission process, which is holistic, but you should be fire.

Finally, don’t dawdle. Admissions open in late summer. Engineering fills up very quickly

Here’s the new admission policy for getting into TAMU engineering starting next year - be sure to read it & notice the application deadline has changed!! https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/recruitment/fall-2017-admissions Good luck !

@illini23 class rank is what counts here, not GPA. To have the best chance, be in the top 25% for academic admit your score meets the requirement provided it was taken all in one sitting with writing. Apply early and work hard on the essays - everything counts for Engineering major now. Be sure both your majors are engineering college ( you pick two). If you’re in the top 25%, I think you would have a good chance. Good luck!

It looks like they’re getting rid of automatic admits to engineering? I think this will help me. If it’s all holistic does that mean I can stress less about getting my stuff in right when the applications open in August? I din’t know if I have time to raise my math score this spring. The Aero adviser I talked to said it was important under the old system to get the application in ASAP because of the auto admits, but I visited back in Sep. so maybe not true now?

Also thanks for answering questions.

Also my ACT is my single best test, it isn’t superscored. Would it be better to have a higher math score and lower composite?

Automatic admits did not apply to Engineering before. That is just to get into the university. Getting your desired major is a little more dicey. Same with UT and technically all Texas public schools.

Top 25% is not competitive given that you need to be in the Top 10% to get in automatically in-state. Out of state admissions in the big Texas schools is fierce because they have few spots for OOS.

@emptyMT the apps still need to be in quick. The way it works: apply - divided out by auto or review - auto are granted admission, they move on to select majors - review are put aside, wait for a little longer, then reviewed & sent on to select majors after admitted to university. It is the second step that has changed for engineering major NOT the first step of getting into the university. Being an auto admit is still the best way to go. Over 85% of the freshman admits are auto admits to the university. Competition is stiff for those last 15% of review slots to get into the university. You can continue to test AFTER you submit an application, if you’re a review & meet the requirement later in the app cycle, they switch your application to auto admit. The same is true if you’re an auto & continue to test and get a higher score, you can submit it & update your file. This is true up to the app cutoff date only (beyond that date it doesn’t count). Probably clear as mud to you - it is very confusing!

clarification : when I say admitted to the university, I mean full admission to the College Station Campus ( not counting Blinn TEAM, Gateway, Engineering TEAM or GV Engineering). All of those subcategories are added into stats online for the school.

Someone can please create a thread for ‘corps of cadets decision stats’??? I’m unable to create one pls

" Sub categories" such as Engineering at Galveston is not an accurate statement for “full admit”. If you are admitted to Engineering @ Galveston through Texas A&M admissions process, you are considered a full admit to Dwight Look College of Engineering. This is a new program that they piloted this year and was only offered to small amount of students. If I remember correctly, it was 175 total? It was that many at all. Just like admitted students @ College Station campus, they follow same general engineering course curriculum. Same classes, same professors, different “zip code”. If at the end of the first year at College Station and Galveston, if the student has a 3.5 GPA or better, they are guaranteed their first major of choice in any of the 16 different engineering programs offered through Dwight Look. Just thought I would add that just in case students that were offered that program wanted to know if it was a good option or not.

Ok, well I’ve sent in my ACT scores already (hoping my writing score is ok) and I can finish the application in early August as soon as it comes out. I plan to retake the ACT in either April or Sept, I can’t in June as I’m gone. So hopefully my math score will be better.

Also, am applying for the SOAR camp so maybe that will help, too. Thanks for the advice.