Texas A&M Financial Aid Amount

On January 25th , I checked the My Financial Aid Portal and found that I received $9,500 in grants. Is that all I’m gonna receive? I applied for Engineering and got accepted to Engineering at Galveston. If this is all I’m gonna receive, there’s no way my family could pay for the remaining $20,000. Might as well consider cheaper schools now…

what was your Efc? Instate or OOS?

Hello! I don’t wanna be rude, but you’re offer is really good. Don’t only read the COA because it tends to be over estimated (unless your OOS).

If you really want to attend A&M you could stay in the Ramp halls (3.8k) get a small meal plan (1.3k) and pay engineering tuition (12.2 k) which (comes out to about 17k. ) and with 9.5 grants and 5.5k loans, you alone can cover 15 out of that 17k. You can likely find a job to cover transportation and food and some books, and ask family to help with those miscellaneous cost ( or save up over the summer).

After freshman year you can win scholarships for engineering in your major so this offer is REALLY good. But ATM it would cost about 7.5 k in loans. As you consider other schools, please consider this option.

That’s definitely not a little bit! Many people don’t receive any grants, so being offered 10k in free money is definitely something to consider.

@TamuEngineer @lessonwitch2

I’m In State . I have no idea what you’re talking about in regards to EFC. It should be noted that I have to submit the TASFA & not the FASFA. I’m not allowed to receive federal aid due to me being undocumented (I do have DACA though, so I can work). All this aid was from the state, so I’m hoping I might get a little more. But yeah, considering what y’all said, I’ll strongly consider still going to A&M.

If your need is very high <50k a year income with average savings, colleges give aid expecting for you to receive the max Pell Grant which is around 5800. Because of this, you shouldn’t expect any aid package that will lower the cost beyond 5800 a year.

You should not expect merit aid because you weren’t accepted to college station, meaning you weren’t among the top qualified students to make it into College Station engineering.

The amount you were given is most likely the max.

Remember, you are able to take out 5500 a year freshman, 6500 a year sophomore, and 7500 a year junior and senior year. That would cut 27k that your family would need to pay. Were you already factoring this in?

Howdy again! Nice to hear you will consider it. I think you still have an Efc and It should be on page 2 of your award letter under “loan options”. Would you also mind sharing which grants you won?

@lessonwitch2

Okay, I found it. My EFC is $1,420.

And The Grants I Won

• Texas Aggie Grant : $1,500
  • TX Public Education Grant-Res : $3,000
  • TEXAS Grant-Initial : $5,000

@ElGuey
Thank you so much!