Texas A&M Galveston

My son is in TAMMAH Hall. He absolutely loves it. Even thinking about not going to CS next semester as he likes the smaller college vibes at TAMU-G, and likes his professors.

2 Likes

@misterhemmings i LOVE hearing how much your boy is adjusting and thriving at TAMUG!
@ChristiR93 and I knew he would!
I HIGHLY encourage you to make him stay in Galveston for the whole year. Starting spring semester at College Station isn’t ideal (I don’t think). There’s a small T-Camp (but your son isn’t really a transfer), that’s it. No hoopla for new students, like they have in the Fall. His transition will be so much smoother & easier, not to mention confidence and maturity, after a full year on the Island. Trust me!

1 Like

Yes, my apologies - I mean to say next YEAR. He is definitely staying at TAMUG this entire freshman year. In fact he just registered for spring classes this morning and got all the exact classes/ professors/ times he wanted, he texted and was in a good mood about that. Folks, if you’re reading this and considering whether or not you’d send your kid off to the Galveston campus, I emphatically recommend it. There are benefits for sure.

3 Likes

ONLY students that are in the Corp of Cadets are mandated to live on campus. That being said, the dorms in TAMMA Hall are some of the nicest dorms I’ve encountered.

1 Like

My son graduated from TAMUG in the summer. One thing no one has noted here, and I can’t say it enough times. Coln Fossum is AMAZING. He truly is involved in the campus, is approachable, and probably knows every student by name. I can’t say many universities have that level of leadership involvement. And yes, TAMUG is truly Texas A&M. We had a hard time understanding the ins and outs, but basically think of it this way: TAMUG has the majors that can’t be held at CStat due to needing water. The only difference is the kids in the Corp can not earn the boots that CStat Corp seniors earn. The ring is the same, the spirit is the same, and who wouldn’t want to go to school at the beach?
Many kids do backdoor into CStat through TAMUG. And you can start Navy ROTC at TAMUG and transfer into the Corp at CStat.

2 Likes

Totally agree with what jaglvr said! Fossum is incredible. My son (freshman now) is so taken with him that he asked him to autograph his A&M hat, which he did. He is a one of a kind president of a University. So fun, engaging, approachable and has the A&M spirit in spades. He’s a treasure. One other thing about TAMUG that bears emphasizing. It is actual A&M, it is a satellite campus. It is NOT a ‘system school’ like East Texas or Tarleton or San Antonio or Corpus. (Nothing bad about those schools either!)… But TAMUG is literal, actual A&M College Station – it is just other buildings right on the gulf so that they can do ‘ocean stuff’. And, if someone decides to attend College Station they don’t ‘transfer’, they simply go into the Howdy Portal and select ‘CHANGE MAJOR’ and switch to a major that is at College Station. But they have to have the major’s pre-requisites to do that, you cannot do that immediately after you are accepted. You at least have to do a semester and take certain classes and it depends on the major. We did Advisory with people in College Station and at Galveston as well to make sure my son took courses that would allow him to change major to Biology if he wants. But he’s having such a good experience at Galveston, he might stay.

3 Likes

Yes, all of the above. Glad you went that route. So many people don’t believe me when I tell them everything you just said. Great campus and community.

3 Likes

Hi @ChristiR93, I sent you a message with a question regarding Change of Major.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all. Glad to have the kiddos home with first semester under their belts. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Just now replied.

1 Like

Yes, Col Fossum is AMAZING! We went on a regular college tour on a random Friday At TAMUG in November 2021. The other families registered for the tour didn’t show up so we had a private tour. About halfway through the tour Col Fossum walked in and we had a 45-minute private conversation with him about A&M in general, the campus, NASA, and just life. He asked my daughter lots of questions and was truly interested in her plans for TAMUG, what she wanted to major in, what she did in high school, etc. I’m pretty sure it was a major factor in her choosing TAMUG as her first choice school. She loved that the COO of TAMUG was so friendly, personable, and approachable. She accepted her admission offer for TAMUG as a Marine Fisheries major before even hearing back from TAMU CS!

2 Likes

that is really cool! Yep, my son is probably going to end up staying at TAMUG at least another semester or year, because he loves it so much and his professors seem to ‘care’ about him, his advisors are approachable, and it’s the SAME THING as TAMU classes. Meanwhile at TAMU CS, he has several friends struggling in classes with 350 people and teachers the can barely follow. So… yeah, it has been GREAT for my son being in Galveston. And, my son even says there is more Aggie spirit at TAMUG for Midnight Yells etc. (Thats just his opinion of course!) He went to four games this past semester in College STation. He has a sports pass and his CS friends asked him to pull tickets each time since Galveston kids get the opportunity sooner.

2 Likes

Galveston opened the A&M door for my son last Fall and it has been a blessing. He received PSA last March from CSTAT with so many others and was really heartbroken. He applied for Biology but we didn’t see a way for him to follow PSA for a path for Biology Then, after a discussion with an admission advisor, he applied to Galveston and was accepted quickly for Marine Biology. After one semester his advisor recommended he put in for his Change of Major and was approved yesterday. The Biology department agreed to let him complete the Spring semester in Galveston and move to CSTAT in the Fall so he can fulfill his dorm requirements. The change of major also helps with some of the issues he was seeing on his financial aid portal. Some of the class hours he is taking taking in the Spring doesn’t align with MARB degree plan but were needed to continue to progress towards a BIO degree. I’m sad he won’t be staying there. The group of parents are the best. With it being a smaller community it seems you get to know them a little more, even if it’s only on social media.

2 Likes

That is great that he already was approved for a CHANGE MAJOR for next fall. I’ve told my son that he needs to get a zoom with a BIOLOGY CS advisor asap, so that he can make sure he’s doing this correctly. He is taking classes at TAMUG based on the BIOLOGY major requirements. So, his first semester was CHEM, BIO, and CALC. He got all 'A’s and he should be fine to CHANG MAJOR. (He is an Oceans and One HEalth Major at TAMUG right now.) But he might stay for the fall semester, if he can. Does anyone know off-hand if CS BIOLOGY would have an issue with him taking one semester of ORGANIC CHEM at Galveston, then the second (spring) semester in CS? I am worried that CS BIO department won’t like that, but I have asked my son to do an advsior call to find out for sure. (He wants to stay for the fall in Galveston because his room mate is an Engineering Major who must stay 1.5 years at Galveston. He wants to move up to CS together with him)

I sure don’t. My son really matured over the Fall, grabbed the reigns and took control of everything. I only get status updates now. Lol I do love it, but I miss Mothering” him just a little. I’ll get used to this phase I’m sure. :heart::heart:

3 Likes

pretty much the same with my son! Although I know he hasn’t contacted an advisor yet at CS so I’m worrying about that lol

1 Like

When will freshman students be able to select their dorm?

@JenL if you haven’t yet, be sure to join this FB group-it’ll be a wealth of information for you.
Also, follow & reach out to TAMUG Campus Living.

How is the one health program? I think Galveston might be a good fit for my younger kid. He goes to a very small healthcare collegiate academy with 80 students in his class. He is considering allied health or public health at CS or one health at Galveston. My older one is at CS.

1. How easy/hard is it to go off campus for shadowing/volunteering/working? My son will be premed and a medical assistant already so will want to do shadowing and work part time as a medical assistant at a doctors office or hospital. Seems like the Galveston campus is a bit apart from town. How is it for student parking and getting to hospitals in Galveston for work/volunteering?
  2. I am totally confused on the application process. I’ve seen comments that make it sound like you can indicate Galveston on your CS app and other comments where people apply directly and separately to Galveston.
  3. How is the one health major program in general/premed advising etc?