Texas A&M international student admissions

<p>I am a parent of prospective undergrad student wishing to persu pet eng at texas A & m.
The online chat staff told me that all admits have common eng programme in first year and then 1/10 get into pet eng in second year because of the competitiveness and it being veryyyy selective.
Has anyone come across such odd situation that after clearing the hardly of getting into A &M , u still face a challenge getting into the programme u want.
Also do other universities in TEXAS like UT and texas tech follow the same pattern .?
OU LSU PSU none have mentioned about this kind of criteria.
Please advise true picture as I am trying to approach their admission staff , but responses are taking long...</p>

<p>Also can anyone advise on tier 2 universities LSU OU and PSU please</p>

<p>A&M and Texas are the top PetE programs and therefore the most selective. For A&M they pick about 20% of the the freshman petroleum hopefuls. For UT it is a direct admission to PetE unlike A&M and is even more selective. From what I understand Texas Tech allows you into the PetE program if you are admitted to the university. A&M and UT have caps on the number of students while TT does not.</p>

<p>As for OU, LSU and PSU I personally think LSU is a better choice.</p>

<p>Hello Navjan try COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES</p>

<p>Colorado School of Mines is a great engineering school and very well respected in PetE. Up there with A&M and Texas. A great environment but it was a little expensive at least even with the scholarship for a Texas kid . </p>

<p>We loved the town and the school but couldn’t justify the cost. Being international it may not have the same discrepancy in cost for you.</p>