Texas a&m out of state tuition (Fixed vs Variable)?

I am an out of state student and was accepted to a&m college station this fall. I am currently trying to figure out what the total cost will be to attend and sign up for the new student conference but it is making me decide on either a fixed or variable tuition rate. Can someone give me more information on these two? The website was not very helpful…

Does the fixed tuition rate mean I would be stuck in it for four years? even if i transfer?

You are correct; the website is very poorly worded. The basic idea is that with the fixed, they “guess” at how much prices will increase over time, then divide up the total expected cost evenly. With variable, you start at a lower price, but it increases at an (unknown now) rate in the future. This article may help. And no, you won’t have to keep paying if you transfer. https://www.texastribune.org/2014/10/06/student-interest-fixed-rate-tuition-varies/

Out of curiosity, what do most people choose?

did y’all see the portal updated the tuition for Fall 2017? OOS tuition went up so much…
Instate tuition seems to have gone up only a few hundred $$?? I’m going with the variable rate for now since it’s so much less ($500/semester). and hope to get more outside scholarships in the next few years!!!

@gogogogobruins Realize that once you select variable or fixed you are committed to that for your entire time at A&M. You cannot change it next year. Make sure you take that into account when making your choice.

@TxSker thanks for your input. yes, i realize that. but we’re hoping to get more scholarship next year, so right now we are more concerned about out of pocket cost for this year :slight_smile:

@gogogogobruins
Howdy! Just so you know, last year, the variable rate grew by $400 (per semester). If the trend continues for 4 years, you would be paying (at least) $3200 more over your four just from the variable change. So, unless the tuition freeze actually comes into affect, it would cost more over 4 years to pay for it.

If it is purely financial problem and you believe you will win enough scholarships to cover it as you continue, I would just take a short term loan to cover that extra $1000 for the year so you get the locked rate. (I though variable was mainly for people going to professional school or non-four year programs)

@lessonwitch2 Thank you!

The locked in rate for 2016-17 was $5109 and the variable this year is $5034. Still less than last years locked rate… ?!

@gogogogobruins Oh no, last year’s increase. From 2015 to 2016.

Locked variable
2014-2015 $4813/sem $4682
2015-2016 $4941/sem $5043
2016-2017 $5565/sem $5109

Sorry for the confusion! I’m referring to that trend.

@lessonwitch2

so the first number is the locked rate and the second is the variable?
if that’s the case, those kids who came in 2014 would have paid $39734 in 4 years for variable, but only $38504 if they had locked in the first year. That’s a saving of $1230, which is nice…but taking a loan out for $1000 to cover the difference NOW plus interest on that doesn’t seem to make sense to save $1230 in the end. hmmm… dilemma…

also as an OSS, I wonder if the tuition waiver would reflect which rate I choose?! Right now we have $26752 in waiver. If we pick variable, our tuition would come out $9420/year where as for locked it would be $10402/year.

i’m guessing variable is for those people who may not stay for 4 years? ugh. can’t decide!!!