Texas A&M Out of State

<p>Hello everyone,</p>

<p>I was wondering how difficult it is to get into Texas A&M out of state. I am specifically interested in engineering, which Texas A&M is fantastic in. The reason I am curious about the difficulty for OOS is that last year's incoming class was comprised of only 3% OOS. On top of the additional admissions difficulty of engineering, the difficulty seems to increase tenfold. </p>

<p>Stats
3.97 GPA, unweighted
34 ACT</p>

<p>Extracurriculars/Volunteering
Varsity Soccer and Frisbee
Guitar for 7 years
Ranked Chess Player/'Varsity' Chess Team Member
Biker (longest ride 200 miles in 2 days)</p>

<p>Case Manager for Nonprofit ~ 100 hours
Peer Tutor at School and the Library ~ 100 hours
Math Instructor at Summer Camp ~ 50 hours</p>

<p>Your stats are great and I think you would have a very good shot at engineering. You need to get your application in early. I’ve heard they are not too generous with money so your OOS tuition will be on the high side. You could also apply to UT which is a very good engineering school too but you will have the same issue about OOS costs. And since you are a biker the Austin area is pretty famous for biking and has some amazing areas to ride.</p>

<p>Since they are both Texas public schools they do provide for Texas kids first so the OOS numbers are low. Pretty much the same as other state universities.</p>

<p>Good luck and I think you have a great shot at both schools. Remember—apply early to both! My son is completing his application to both this week also for engineering.</p>

<p>Just your ACT score guarantees you automatic admission. I think with that score they will give you at least a $1000 scholarship to give you in-state tuition.</p>

<p>Hey there,</p>

<p>You should have no trouble at all getting in with your ACT score. Additionally, getting into an engineering major should be no trouble either, but the key is to get your application in as early as possible as engineering tends to fill up very quickly. And wemel is correct, basically if you get $1,000 in scholarships that are affiliated with Texas A&M, you will get in state tuition. <a href=“https://scholarships.tamu.edu/information/tuition_waiver.aspx[/url]”>https://scholarships.tamu.edu/information/tuition_waiver.aspx&lt;/a&gt; - that link will give you more info.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>Does your high school rank? What is yours?</p>

<p>We are OOS, your stats should qualify you for automatic admission. Apply early, since it is first come first served for majors at this school. It is no more difficult to get engineering than another major PROVIDED you apply early. My kids were both academic admits and you will discover so are most OOS students. They love it! Regarding scholarships, they are very competitive for OOS students, Good luck!</p>