Texas A&M PTA, PSA, vet school, etc!

Hi everyone… my daughter just received PSA yesterday and just as some of your kids that got the same news, she’s heartbroken. She only wanted A&M. And always knew she would do Blinn if it came down to it. But I guess deep down we never thought it would- she had great statistics, or so we thought!! Anyway here we are… the ultimate goal is vet school. She does not want PSA.

We are looking into PTA and going to Blinn but that would mean a change of major than what she originally put in application? Can she do that? Animal science is not offered at least not that I can see. She is so upset that she’s rethinking her whole life. So dramatic. Lol. She doesn’t think their vet school will accept someone who has been to Blinn. Which I told her is crazy of course. Ugh. Anyone have advice?

Hi Hailbop16 My son was also PSA’ed for Animal Science yesterday. He’s debating if being an Aggie is the path for him as he’s more focused on vet school and the long term than the Aggie network. Is she accepted to other schools with good Animal Science programs? Out of curiosity what was her stats? My daughter graduated almost 2 years ago. Getting into A&M was a different ballgame back then. Odd that from what ppl are typing on here that A&M is harder for in state students to get in to than purdue, VT etc.

Well believe it or not she applied nowhere else. She wants to be an Aggie period. She is prepared to go to Blinn first. She’s wanted to be an Aggie and go to their vet school since she was about 11yrs old. Funny thing is- no Aggies in our family! All Longhorns! I believe she could’ve gotten into many other schools she just chose not to apply. I’ll see if I can give you what stats I know…

SAT 1320
GPA 3.89
Class rank top 25% (class size around 900- very competitive school)
NHS, FFA, National Charity League for 6 years- 300 volunteer hours
? What else

What about your son? What schools is he considering?

@Hailbop16 What about taking a gap semester or gap year and apply to Oklahoma State animal Science? They have a terrific vet school.
According to the DARs reports, for fall 2018, there were 13 Blinn transfers to Animal Science.

So sad to read this. We wanted our son to apply to A&M but he did not want to go through what you are all going through. He was top 11% (class of 700) and one point below what they wanted for auto admit. He said forget it. He is animal science at Kansas State in their early admissions program and loving it! He has one more year and then vet school. He also looked at animal science at Texas Tech, Auburn, Colorado State and Mississippi State. Great programs at all but K-State gave us the best financial deal. She will be fine and as long as she gets really high grades and lots of animal experience she will get into a vet school.

My senior coworker is a woman with kids who attended Southlake Carroll, which is already saying something. Her high achieving son LEFT TAMU to attend vet school and do an accompanying PhD at K-state. I don’t know how competitive their admissions are, no idea at all, but the undergrad application deadline is April 1. Also, from what I’ve heard, Tarleton has a strong Animal Science program, right? Also, what about TX State? Your daughter has all options still. Could she take a minor detour? After all, experience and good prep and high grades are her goal for vet school admission. It sounds as though she really knows what she wants. Could she just transfer that vision to another setting somehow, even temporarily? It seems like a good idea right now to hang onto the goal and look at good paths/best path forward.

Kansas State is easy to get in to but it is an excellent school, high ranked in animal science and the vet school is excellent! The problem with late admissions is that the scholarship deadline passed (for future reference though I heard there is a possibility of late applicants calling financial aid and possibly getting the OOS scholarship). I know OP’s daughter can do fine wherever she goes. If she needs a gap year to get in it is ok, if she does Blinn it will be fine. Just get great grades and do all the prerequisites for vet school.