Texas A&M University Class of 2026

@FriscoDad - that is super interesting! I bet you are right about small majors. But doesn’t that fly in the face of the AO general position that an applicant is admitted to the University first and foremost; then they look at major? (Engineering is the exception, I suppose). I am pretty sure I have read / heard that somewhere, which has always troubled me some for the exact reason of these small majors. So yes, I would not be surprised if they take longer on the small majors to make sure the numbers are lining up. Is that what you are saying?

1 Like

The “admit first and see what major is open” is true but that likely in January AFTER the tally done in small size majors. This applies to many students got assigned to general studies. (that’s why for review admit GEST has an odd 100% admittance rate).

In TAMU you rarely (may be never) heard of someone doesn’t apply for Mathematics for first and second choice, get “assigned” to Mathematics. Applicants won’t get this cruel treatment when they have no intention or preparation for a degree they get “assigned” to. UT Austin is the only one notorious of doing this (putting engineering or science applicants even auto-admit ones to COLA).

Small major examples are Mathematics, Viz, Tech. Management, Architecture (Architecture in Architecture, not general College of Architecture), Atmospheric Science, Oceanography, Physics, Astronomy, Sociology, History…

2 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing. I’m kind of surprised at the low enrolled percentage. Perhaps Econ was second choice for a lot of folks that wanted to get in to Mays, and decide to go elsewhere for business? Anyway, thanks again for the info.

1 Like

With these fantastic stats I’m shocked she didn’t get into Mays! Best of Luck with Econ

First time through this process…y’all have helped answer so many questions!

Daughter applied in early August. 1320 SAT, 4.8 weighted GPA, ranked 158/848, IB diploma candidate, varsity athlete, great essay. First choice is Mays, second is Agbusiness. I understand that Mays is full, but nothing has changed for her…it still shows in review. What does this mean in terms of being offered her 2nd choice major? Blinn? Is there any chance of still being offered full admit to Mays?

2 Likes

@ami5703 great stats! I don’t know all the %, numbers, etc like @ChristiR93 does, but I would be very surprised if she didn’t get AgriBusiness in January/February. It’s a great major, very versatile, and they take select Mays classes.
I would not hold out for a Mays offer.

Low enrollment percentage is normal among all public universities. On average each high school graduate applies 4.5 schools in Texas, which means on average each student generates 3.5 non-enrollment.

1 Like

The fact it still shows Mays means they haven’t gotten to a decision yet on your daughter. When it flips to Ag business, you’ll know you’re about to get 6 tabs.

Til then it means nothing. Mays is truly full and no other offers will be made. Team is also a good option for business, but tough.

Her SAT is solid, IB is impressive. Top 16% is solid as well. I do think you’ll get some sort of offer (Full, TEAM or Gateway).

Gotcha. Thank you!

Hold it, I wasn’t looking at that ratio. I was referring to the “admitted” to “accepted”, not percentage of applications to “accepted”.
Thanks

We moved here in August and my daughter applied for Spring 2022 in early Sept. She is going for a basic Education degree. It’s been over 3 months and still showing under review.

She contacted them in November and they said decisions would be made by early December, but here we are.

Would they go on Christmas break without giving decisions? The semester starts Jan 18th and she’s growing more and more anxious. She was accepted into Baylor, but ended up declined it hoping to hear from A&M.

I know coming in during the spring isn’t as common, but does anyone have any experience with it or know the Spring semester deadlines? Thanks

To be clear, she’s coming in as a freshman and not a transfer, correct?

I would think you should have heard by now either good or bad. What are her stats?

Did she formally decline Baylor? It is best to wait to decline any admittance offers until after accepting one. Decision day isn’t until May 1.

1 Like

Thank you! There’s so much info about Mays, but so little about Ag business…it’s hard to know where she will stand with that!

When did your daughter apply?
All spring freshmen and transfers decisions normally out in first week of December. Best is calling admission office immediately.

2 Likes

She applied Sept 9th. They said decisions would be made by early December so that’s why we were confused as to why it still showed under review. I’ll have her call again when she gets off work today.

Unfortunately she did decline Baylor already. The deadline to accept admission for Baylor was before A&M said they were releasing decisions, so she didn’t want to accept and then get accepted into A&M. I’m going to have her call them today and see what they say. Her application still shows under review this morning.

@FriscoDad @ChristiR93 have you heard of any students transferred from biology major to bioinformatics under school of engineering? Is it impossible to transfer after the first year?

She’s spring admission, not Fall, so she cannot wait unfortunately.

Do you mean change of major or external transfer?