Texas A&M University Class of 2026

@ceramicmom wow! $2,000 and getting it in the fall is HUGE for A&M!

In the same boat here as OOS - we visited back in August which is what got us on board (as parents) after knowing nothing about it more than our son “really wants to go.” Our son visited again in October for “Spend the Night With the Corps” in October. He was admitted back in October and awarded the Maroon Merit Scholarship (check the Financial Aid Portal) which I’ve read on other forums is basically a carrot to OOS students and does NOT count or stack with other scholarships toward the $4000 needed for the in-state tuition waiver. Anyway, that award disappeared from his portal over a week ago and has not been replaced with anything different…so we are back to the waiting game again. My son is also not National Merit so I really don’t know what to expect… I would say any visit would be beneficial in making a decision if A&M is one of the front-runners.

@thegirlsandtheboy is Discover Aggieland the same thing as Aggieland Saturday?

Referring to the tiers for engineering: Galveston is above TEAB? (We are in Dallas) if offered, I don’t think my daughter would want Galveston as she loves the feel of College Station

:open_mouth: we had no idea TAMU doesn’t give much merit to OOS! Thank you for letting me know.

1 Like

Was it a regular visit back in August, or “Discover Aggieland”? Also, is your son thinking of being in the Corps of Cadets?

No. Discover Aggieland and Aggieland Saturday are definitely different.

1 Like

No clue - we just did a tour, admissions meeting, and Corps tour/appointment. Ours was very last minute after trying multiple times and never being able to snag an available time. We haven’t been to any of the Aggieland events.

1 Like

It was just a tour, admissions meeting, and corps tour/appointment. Yes, he’s very interested in the Corps of Cadets - that is his draw to A&M. He’s our 3rd of 3 - we have one at a small private college in Ohio, another at a large state school in Tennessee…so this would put us in the middle of a college kid triangle with 3 settings that could not be more different lol.

Galveston is a full offer but first year in Galveston. That’s why it’s listed higher. BUT many would want TEAB over Galveston for the very reason you said. So it can be flip flopped!

We were in a similar situation with a different school. We decided to wait and only go visit if the award ends up being large enough. I’m not sure if discover aggieland is a different event or not but The Aggieland Saturday in February is a campus wide open house and includes campus tours, dorm tours, department tours, and other information sessions. We will be attending but we are only a 3 hour drive away. It will be tough getting a hotel this close to the event though. We booked quite awhile ago. But you could always wait and if the award is large enough you can plan your own visit and sign up for a campus tour, dorm tour, department tour on a regular day. It doesn’t have to be one of their big events.

Has anyone received aid info yet? DS has been admitted for over a month. FAFSA submitted 10/5. My Howdy just says FAFSA received but no aid award, not even the $5500 in federal loans.

Same here. All the other colleges she has been admitted to have her $5500 loan showing. But A&M does not yet. She was admitted in September and we did our fafsa the first week of October.

1 Like

@ceramicmom A&M isn’t known for giving out many scholarships, unless Nat Merit levels or high achieving Need based. They don’t dangle or match scholarships from other schools, they don’t offer in-state tuition (again, unless NM).
It is very difficult to get in-state tuition.
Seriously, the fact that he’s already been offered a $2k scholarship is HUGE. There are hundreds of valedictorians every year who never get a dime (outside of the automatic 1 yr state of TX valedictorian/highest gpa tuition, but that comes from the state).
Have you joined Aggie Parents FB page? This is asked often.

Thank you, everyone! I really didn’t know OOS scholarships were so low. My son is not National Merit, but has high stats otherwise. He got the Maroon Merit but that’s it for now, and he’s not really drawn to the Corps. I guess we’ll lower our expectations a little and play it by ear.

@Colo5 Maroon Merit is a big one!
Join Aggie Parents FB and search :mag: scholarships.

Yeesh - didn’t know they could disappear! Hopefully that’s good news because they’re replacing it with something better.

Just checked and my son’s Maroon Merit is still there. But didn’t know until today that Maroon Merit wouldn’t help with OOS tuition waiver. Oh well. We did hear scholarships were better if students are interested in the Corps - glad for your son! Agree re: visits in general, but we’re a 13-14 hour drive so might wait a bit on that one. Best of luck to you!

Really thought I would have woken up to “I have 6 tabs” posts today.

Tomorrow maybe!!! Tuesdays seem to fair well. Hang in there.

4 Likes

Nope! Not today yet. They are ghosting us. :joy: :ghost: Just kidding! I’m sure they are busy with tons of applications to go through. Just REALLY HOPING this is THE WEEK!

4 Likes

Not today yet for us either. Someone on Reddit posted over the weekend that ‘there are not many regular admission spots ready’ by now, but others on Reddit disagreed and told that person they were just speculating. At this point at my son’s school - 1,000 people in a private school - most of them still haven’t heard either.