Texas A&M University Class of 2026

It is called the Residual ACT and you call to register. It has been discussed earlier so try searching “residual”. One catch is that the student cant write on the test - a big stumbling block for some. On the other hand, it cant hurt to try…

https://testing.tamu.edu/Exams/ACT

4 Likes

@karandave I would totally do this with his 30 ACT. He’ll go up not down, I’m sure. And it’ll show his interest in TAMU. Oh and it’s scored in 24 hours.

Downside… more epxensive, can’t write on the test and score is only for TAMU.

I’ll find the number to call them. They don’t have specific dates (unless it’s changed for this year). You basically schedule around your time frame.

1 Like

WOW, great stats. Welcome to Aggieland!

@ChristiR93 I think I need to get my son to do this too! He got a 30 on his ACT… he only took it once b/c he got a FLAT TIRE on the way to take it the second time! :frowning: Would he need to go to campus to take it? We are in Houston. Thanks for any information you have!

1 Like

Yes. It can only be taken at tamu.

1 Like

There are two PSAT based scholar programs. One is the national merit scholar (National Merit Scholarship Corporation) and the other is the national recognition scholar (College Board National Recognition Programs). National Merit has two levels. National Recognition has one level. Students who have multiple national scholar designations will only receive the scholarship offer that can lead to the highest valued scholarship package.The national recognition scholarship is more than the National Merit Semi Finalist scholarship but less than the National Merit Finalist scholarship. We attended a zoom meeting recently about this scholarship with the financial aid office.

Also for NMSF/NMF you have to select A&M as #1 choice in the NM system by a certain date, but that isn’t a thing for the national recognition program.

https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Scholarship-Programs/National-Scholars

@Peruna1998 I’m assuming your son had his scores sent to A&M, correct? Double check.
My ‘23 Aggie is NM Commended, and we didn’t have to do anything additional, A&M automatically was notified about the Commended status.

S22 only recently listed A&M as his top choice with NMSC. It is my understanding that universities receive monthly updates with that information. So, I suppose A&M will receive that information in December. I am unaware of any other way to report it.

1 Like

Does NM commended get any scholarship? I thought they didn’t, just wondering?

If they get national Merit Finalist and select A&M as their first choice they get the scholarship. My son did not choose A&M until much later so no need to worry about it yet. A&M strongly recruits those NMF!

1 Like

@hraj not automatically, no. My Aggie did receive PES in 2019, but she also had a huge amount of volunteer hours, state awards and school leadership…and was Commended.

Ok, but seems like there might be a chance then as my daughter has good stats and EC’s/leadership etc. how does one report that student is commended, is that from sending the psat score from college board?

That is so awesome

@Peruna1998 when students sign up to take SAT/ACT, they can have their scores automatically sent to specific schools; that’s what my Aggie did. A&M was automatically notified about the Commended status. I’m sure there is a way to update in AIS?

@hraj i think a lot depends on how many NMSF/F go to A&M also each year. There were only a handful in 2019 that weren’t Semi or Finalist. Lechner and McFadden Academic award might be possible, also. Have your student check FinAid portal in the spring-summer to check, that’s where it’ll be posted. Student will have to ‘accept’. We personally know someone who was initially awarded Lechner, had accepted, then just happened to check portal again before school started. He had been bumped up to PES and almost missed ‘accepting’ by a day!
We didn’t have to report getting Commended; A&M automatically knew, as my Aggie had scores sent straight to A&M. I guess you could upload the Commended certificate in AIS?

Commended and NMSF/NMF status is based on the PSAT, not the SAT/ACT. S22 did report his ACT to A&M and has been admitted. The application does have a check to note whether you are or are not NMSF. When S22 applied in August, NMSF had not be released (it was released in mid-September). So, he honestly answered “no”. With NMSF/NMF, you select a first choice school with NMSC, that choice being final on May 1st. I have not seen a way to update this on AIS, though I would appreciate being informed otherwise. S22 did reach out to scholarships@tamu.edu and was informed that he simply had to list A&M as his top choice with NMSC. My concern, though, is he is interested in the Brown Program. Since it is selected from NMSF, I hope that A&M is aware of his status.

1 Like

My DD was told this February after receiving the NMF letter, simply logon to https://osa.nationalmerit.org/ to set TAMU as first choice. It will get updated in Howdy’s Financial Aid portal within 2 weeks.

1 Like

Thanks.

@Peruna1998 might have your student contact Admissions, just to make sure they’re aware of NMSF status. My Aggie didn’t have to, but things may have changed?
Brown is awesome, but incredibly competitive. I’ve read posts you have to be invited to even apply initially, then interview. And I don’t think Brown winners are notified til much later in the spring.

Did those students submit their official transcript? I’m confused if just the SRAR is enough or if they have to submit an official transcript if applying for scholarships.