Texas A&M?

Hey Everyone! I’ve submitted my application to Texas A&M University and I am curious about my chances. I am an out of state student with a weighted GPA of 3.93 or 3.6 unweighted. My class rank is 10/99 and I have taken 7 honors classes and 3 AP courses over my high school career. My SAT scores are 1210 on the new test. I have lettered 4 times in varsity soccer and once in track, hold my class president position, a current member of national honor society, a member of Civil Air Patrol, and have over 30 hours of volunteer time. I am looking into majoring in computer science, which is an engineering degree. Just wondering what your first thoughts are in my chances! Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

I think you have a great chance! If you’re in the top 25% of your class and have certain test scores (not sure of what it is for the new sat, but you could easily find it online), you automatically get admitted to the university but aren’t guaranteed your major.

Hey Everyone! I’ve submitted my application to Texas A&M University and I am curious about my chances. I am an out of state student with:

Academics

-weighted GPA of 3.93 or 3.6 unweighted
-class rank is 10/99
-8 honors classes and 3 AP courses
-SAT scores: 1210 on the new test

EC's

-Varsity lettered in soccer (9-12)
-Varsity lettered in track (11)
-Class president (10,11,12)
-Current member of national honor society (11-12)
-Member of Civil Air Patrol (9-12)
-Student representative for the school board (11-12)
-30+ hours of volunteer service
-Drama Club Technical Production (9-10)
Interact Rotary Club (9,11)

I am looking into majoring in computer science, which is an engineering degree. Just wondering what your first thoughts are in my chances! Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

OOS Academic Admits (automatic admission) require 1360 on the new SAT plus top 25%. For review admits, you should have a chance. Did you write the essays? http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

I wrote all three of the essays. (2 required, 1 optional)

What in Honors and AP will you have completed by end of Sr. year? What is the breakdown of your SAT scores?

Did you submit any recommendation letters? You can submit two before Dec 1st.

I am a parent of twins that applied last year from out of state and both were accepted and offered spots in general engineering (as their major of choice). Not sure how rigorous your high school was because that makes a difference. One of our twins had a higher unweighted GPA and one had about the same unweighted GPA as you but their school was considered very difficult. If your school is considered easier then you might be expected to have a higher GPA. Some colleges consider that we found, unsure how closely Texas A&M looks at this. Our sons had higher SAT scores. They were also eagle scouts. In my opinion, Texas A&M likes extra curriculars that demonstrate service due to their history so your civil air patrol might be attractive to admissions when reviewing your application. If you are interested in the major that you mentioned, it would be good if your AP classes were in courses that show strength in the major you are interested in. I think that helped our sons in all of their college apps that they took AP calc classes, AP physics, etc. and they had received good scores in those. If you are offered Blinn instead of straight acceptance into Texas A&M that’s an option and our son (one chose A&M) has friends who are on this path, they take a few classes at Blinn and a few at Texas A&M and it seems to work if you are not offered access straight into general engineering at Texas A&M. We have had sons that excelled in sports and were varsity athletes all 4 years and that is a commitment. However, the colleges also expect great grades and test scores which is the tough part. It will help if you are from a state less well represented at Texas A&M. If you are from a state further away they like that and they like to be inclusive so that could help. 30+ hours of volunteer work is not that much from what we believe since all of our sons had that easily. In fact, many high schools on the west coast require more than that to graduate. You have a good shot but a lot will go into the decision so my best advice is also have good backup schools and do everything that you can to help your application as suggested in other posts. If you are interested in being in the corp of cadets, that could help.