Text books needed first day?

<p>Hey guys, entering freshman year, w00t. Do we need to have our textbooks ready before school starts or do they give you time after the first day?</p>

<p>There can be reading assigned or homework due the first week. Never anything due first day.</p>

<p>People can freely switch lectures the first couple weeks, so many professors are mindful of that. A course syllabus with specific info is usually given before or during the first lecture.</p>

<p>Good to know, thanks.</p>

<p>Given that class starts on a Thursday this year, unless you have a class that runs Thursday and Friday, you won’t need it first day. Like said, there can be homework assigned within the first week, and I’ve always had homework due within the first week (or reading), so it’d be a good idea to have them as soon as possible. </p>

<p>You won’t fail the semester for not having them the first day, of course. It’s not like you’ll be taking most textbooks to class the first day anyway. </p>

<p>You are expected to take care of yourself though, so if something comes up where you need the book and don’t have it, don’t expect your professor or TA to be sympathetic. That likely won’t happen, so if you don’t have your books the first day, you’ll probably be fine.</p>

<p>Last fall, my son mentioned that a couple of kids in his calculus class didn’t turn in their first week’s homework because they had ordered the textbook online and hadn’t received it yet. I think the TA allowed some leeway in this case.</p>

<p>I’ll go ahead and state the obvious and say, “Every situation is different, and every professor and TA is different.” I’ve seen both situations happens, so don’t bank on your professor or TA “understanding.” You’re better off being prepared.</p>

<p>Thanks again for the advice, guys!</p>