Textbook Question?

<p>Good morning … this may be a silly question, but as my daughter finishes tweaking her schedule, I wanted to do some preliminary research to compare how much $$$ we can save buying some of her books online vs. getting them at the book store on campus. My question is, I can “see” her current schedule, but where do I/we go to look for the textbooks associated with each class & section? I could ask her, but she likely won’t be awake for 2 more hours. :slight_smile: Thanks.</p>

<p>We found them by logging into mybama.ua.edu, clicking on the week “Week at a Glance” link, going to the bottom of the “Week at a Glance” page and clicking on the “Active Registrations” link, and then clicking on the link for each class which takes you to a page that should show the required text(s).</p>

<p>Good morning Dad2. . . There are at least two ways you can see which textbooks she needs. From her myBama page you can click on the Academics tab and then the link that says “order textbooks online”. You then have to find the appropriate section of the class. Another way is to go back into the course catalog and the required textbooks should show up in the listing for each class. Good luck!</p>

<p>Easiest way, go to the SupeStore link -
[The</a> University of Alabama Supply Store](<a href=“Page Not Found | University of Alabama Supply Store”>http://www.universitysupplystore.com/)
There are drop downs for each unit of each class, will show you the new and used price for everything you need. Then you can compare with half, amazon used etc.
Bought DSs books last week, if you’re going used time’s a-wastin’! Last year did a combination of online and ordered (and paid for) the rest from SupeStore and he picked them up the day he got there.
FYI - we did not buy any international books, jury is out on if that is allowed and seems it depends on the prof. The prices seem to good to be true.</p>

<p>While at BB, found out an interesting fact about buying books, etc at the Supe…all of the profits from the Supe go to the University Scholarsghip fund…so while there may be some cost difference, buying the books at The Supe is contributing to the schools ability to fund these great scholarships for these talented kids…</p>

<p>^^ That is good to know.</p>

<p>Of my son’s five classes, four list the text books as TBD. The one class that lists a text book, gives the ISBN for the older edition of the text, rather than the current edition, so son is going to email the Prof to see which edition he should get.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone … as usual, CC is 100% helpful … and quick! :-)</p>

<p>Yes be careful as to the edition of the textbook, last semester we purchased the “newest” edition to find out that the professor did not like that one and we had to purchase the “older” edition. So two books, one class.</p>

<p>I just spent some time ordering books for D yesterday (thanks to waking up that y’all are already on it here!) I used a combo of three places: half.com; barnesandnoble.com (including their used Marketplace sellers) and the Supestore. D has a number of books for her classes that are either inexpensive ($5-$8) or available used at Supe. I realized while looking that when adding the $3.99 in shipping onto a book, sometimes even if it’s “cheaper” it’s actually the same total or less than getting it at the Supe, plus I’d rather them have the profit for the scholarships.</p>

<p>RobD, I have a question for you, our resident librarian :)</p>

<p>This is the first time I’ve seriously looked at buying textbooks online. One I am coming up with has a different copyright date than what is showing at the SUPE Store. They are, however, the same ISBN and the same edition. Would it be ok to purchase the 08 copyright date instead of the 10? Thanks!</p>

<p>Hmmmm. An ISBN is only for 1 particular edition and format of a book, so there shouldn’t be differences between publication dates. What book is it for?</p>

<p>ISBN 0-324-59925-0
It is for LGS 200 Section 8</p>

<p>Here’s what the SUPE Store has: [The</a> University of Alabama Supply Store](<a href=“Buy Textbooks | University of Alabama Supply Store”>Buy Textbooks | University of Alabama Supply Store)</p>

<p>Here’s one of the other sites:
[0-324-59925-0</a> - The Legal Environment Today: Business In Its Ethical, Regulatory, E-Commerce, and Global Setting](<a href=“BooksPrice.com: Book Price Comparison, Compare Book & Textbook Prices”>0-324-59925-0 - the legal environment today: business in its ethical, regulatory, e-commerce, and global setting (available titles cengagenow) - booksprice)</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I hope you can momofonly1. I would email the Prof and ask him if a previous edition would be ok. Many times they are. </p>

<p>Lil bro bought that same book in January for $25 off Amazon for his LGS-200 class last semester. I’d find it hard to believe that the newer edition has anything in it not covered in last years edition in regards to this class.
<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0324375115/ref=ox_ya_os_product[/url]”>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0324375115/ref=ox_ya_os_product&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I hope you are right NJ. That is a bargain!</p>

<p>According to worldcat.org as well as the publisher site, the publication date is 2010. The cover of the book on booksprice.com matches the cover on the publisher site. BUT…once I clicked on the seller link to see the exact details on the book (I looked at the alibris site; I’ve used them many times) they say it is an instructors edition. </p>

<p>I won’t buy instructors editions but that’s just me. I also won’t buy international editions. </p>

<p>bn.com and amazon both have a December 2008 pub date for the same isbn…if the ISBN and the edition match it shouldn’t matter. I’d be more concerned about a instructor or international book.</p>

<p>Great! Thanks for taking the time to help me through the process!</p>

<p>I’ve had no problems using international editions of textbooks, but will usually email the instructor first to check. I’ve also noticed that some professors don’t use a textbook, but still list it as required.</p>

<p>Remember that the Supestore charges 9% tax, which I don’t think they will waive if they ship the book OOS, so include that in your calculations. Alabama doesn’t seem to allow any methods to get around paying tax on campus compared to the many other states who do.</p>