Textbooks and Confirming Schedule

<p>Hi! Sorry if these questions seem really basic, I just want to make sure I’m doing this all right!</p>

<ul>
<li><p>When multiple textbooks are listed for a course saying “Choose One”, is it safe to buy the oldest (and cheapest) edition? Is it missing anything important? Also, what is/do I want Webassign? I’m looking at calculus if that helps.</p></li>
<li><p>After we confirm our schedule under “Pay your student bill”, are we still allowed to change it before classes start?</p></li>
</ul>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>For the “Choose One” options, any of them will be fine. For Webassign, that’s the one thing we wait on until the class has started, to make sure the prof is really going to use it. D haven’t had any books listed that were changed or not used, but she has had profs who didn’t use Webassign. There’s no harm in waiting as students can usually use it without a code for a week or so and the codes can be quickly obtained either online or at the Supe. And yes, the schedule can be changed after it is confirmed.</p>

<p>Thank you! I’ll order the books off Amazon and wait on the Webassigns.</p>

<p>Calculus 1: Specifically…does anyone know if the Calc 1 professors typically use the “web-assigns”? We are debating on buying a used book with a new web-assign… or just buying the used book now, and waiting on the web-assign until first day of class. Thanks!</p>

<p>@amy9998 - It really is an instructor’s decision. </p>

<p>I have helped my son price Rental, Used vs New. We always look at the cost of the access code ONLY first to determine if it is added onto the rental or used price would it be cost effective. For us, it has always come out better to buy used or rent and code separate when pricing. In actual practice, in 2 semesters DS has only needed 1 code and he anticipates only 1 for fall 2014.</p>

<p>Amazon - DS has rented and had shipped to our home state (we are OOS) vs Alabama. It is typically a savings of $10-15. He discovered this accidentally by shipping home so he had all in advance.</p>

<p>Thanks for that great info, Longhaul! Extremely helpful. Planning to pull the trigger on some books on Saturday…</p>

<p>For a student who is starting in Calc I, buy a used book and the multi-term webassign code for the class online through the publisher. If you buy a book that contains the code you will need to buy another code for Cal II and Calc III. You may not even need the physical textbook - a lot of Calc is done online. </p>

<p>Didn’t realize a multi-term webassign code could be purchased! Thank you, Class2012Mom!</p>