Textbooks

<p>Where is the best place to buy or rent textbooks? I've heard the barnes & noble is overpriced but I haven't seen any places where my textbooks are cheaper. Does anybody know of a website or a place to buy them from?</p>

<p>Amazon (online) or Textbook Solutions locally.</p>

<p>Also try abebooks.com :)</p>

<p>chegg.com, ecampus.com and half.com have helped us.</p>

<p>I am not one to promote procrastination, but my D ordered all the ‘required’ books (and access codes, journals, lab books) and then got an email today from her math prof saying that only the access code was an absolute requirement. Sure, we can return the book, but it will be a hassle and we are out $120 in the meantime. The prof mentioned getting a ‘loose leaf’ versions of the text, if students wanted an actual printed page. Loose leafs are essentially unbound books that may only contain certain chapters of the text needed for the course, but the bookstores don’t promote those online.</p>

<p>A second vote for Amazon, especially third-party sellers via the Amazon Marketplace.</p>

<p>AggieMom16 - My son’s first 2 years he got emails from almost all the profs before school started with that kind of info. This year he got NONE. Now he’ll have to pay for overnight Amazon shipping (still a lot cheaper than the bookstores) but we have learned to wait until they find out what they need!</p>

<p>I think they should be required to send the syllabus out a couple of weeks prior to classes starting. Where IS that TAMU suggestion box :slight_smile: ?</p>

<p>AllThisIsNewToMe, the profs usually release their book lists to local book stores (MSC, Traditions, etc.). Your son can go online and access these lists. These lists are not always correct, and sometimes profs don’t provide this info to the University.</p>

<p>In any case, emailing the prof prior to school is a good idea to avoid overnight shipping.</p>

<p>gstein, We know the bookstores have the list, but sometimes they mark a book as “required” and then you find out the teacher requires an online package that includes the online book (so you really don’t need the book at all).</p>

<p>That was why he started waiting on the syllabus in the hopes that it is more accurate for the specific prof. Agree that emailing them is probably best!</p>

<p>Students can buy books from other Aggies on [Books</a> To Bucks](<a href=“http://www.bookstobucks.com%5DBooks”>http://www.bookstobucks.com). It is a website just for Aggies to buy and sell books with each other and save money!</p>

<p>Just learned another expensive lesson…My D used the link in Howdy to purchase all required books and picked them up the week before school started. She has one once-per-week class and the ENTIRE class had the wrong book - but the teacher didn’t notice until the second week of class, so they are all stuck with it. Sometimes the bookstore has the wrong info listed and/or the prof submits the wrong ISBN and the students are stuck with the wrong book. The return policies at the MSC bookstore are first week of class for textbooks and 14 days from pick up for general books. WAIT for the prof or syllabus to tell you EXACTLY what is needed and get it from Amazon, where there is usually always a used book available.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Guess you didn’t advise your D, AggieMom16 </p>

<p>=O</p>

<p>@gstein, insult to injury - the prof’s own syllabus is even wrong! Barnes & Nobles campus bookstore website even says that ordering through them ‘guarantees the correct book’. Ha! Oh, the things you learn once they suck you in. Also beware any ‘required’ books listed for courses that have ‘TBA’ for the prof. Definitely wait on those books.</p>