Textbooks

<p>With move in coming upon us and classes starting in two weeks, I think it's about time to start thinking about textbooks. </p>

<p>Should I get my textbook before classes start, or should I wait until after classes start to get them? I ask because I've heard some lovely stories of people buying expensive textbooks and never using them (whether or not that was professor designated or just a choice, I don't know), or professors using a different book than what was listed. Also, I'm not even sure I'll keep my current schedule, and since you can still change classes once school starts, and I might take advantage of that (although I really don't think I will). I mean, since SOAR, I've been changing my schedule about every other day, although I'm pretty fond of my current schedule, and I think I'll keep it.</p>

<p>Only textbooks for two of my classes are available according to the University Book Store website, and they're two classes I know I wouldn't drop (math and German), plus they have the same books listed for all sections. Should I just go ahead and invest in those? I don't want to wait too long and then not end up with my books... =/</p>

<p>And since I've been wondering, is the University Book Store the only place that tells you what books you need for each class before classes start? And looking around, most places don't seem to have better prices than the Book Store. Am I just not looking hard enough, or do they just not rip you off that severely?</p>

<p>University Bookstore has all the info online, you can then order online at/go to any bookstore you please. Make sure of timeliness of delivery, ability to return books. They are expensive. Some are cheapest at U- B-, easier to have books and avoid megalines the first week of classes.</p>

<p>University bookstore and underground bookstore are the most expensive ways of getting text books. When I went to Madison, there were online boards where people who had taken the class previously would sell the book to a new student for less than the bookstore charged, resulting in getting far more than the bookstore would have paid to buy back the book from the seller. Also, online text sellers are good if you can arrange delivery. I wouldn't buy books before you start the class though, because a lot of times they aren't even the books that ll be used.</p>

<p>I think... I might wait until at least the first day. I did get an email from one of my professors, so I think I'll get the book for that class, because reading the online syllabus, that one starts the reading right away.</p>

<p>I've checked a few online sellers (half.com, amazon.com, and some other weird one), but their books really weren't much cheaper, and often were more expensive. =\ For new books, at least. Purchasing from a student might be a different story.</p>

<p>I wouldn't buy books before you start the class though, because a lot of times they aren't even the books that ll be used.</p>

<p>That's really what I'm worried about. I would hope that that wouldn't happen too often, but I have heard stories.</p>

<p>The week before classes start, after dorm move in, is a good time to purchase textbooks locally, by then the professors will have their lists into the bookstores. Waiting until you actually have the first class will give you more to do when you also have class and homework. Maybe foolish to have purchased texts weeks ago, but by now the decisions will have been made so the bookstores can order the books in time for class. Also late enough to consider delivery time for online purchases. Waiting may also mean the used books have all been sold and sometimes all the new books are temporarily sold out and you have to wait for the next shipment to arrive.</p>