tft freshman film interviews

My daughter applied as a freshman film major. Does anyone know when interviews will be granted? We know the chances are slim due to the the very low number of kids offered interviews, but we are on pins and needles!

Invitations for interviews should be out in the next few days if not already. Interviews themselves will take place 2/19-2/22.

Thank you @inic817. My husband and I are both UCLA alumni. My d did not receive an e-mail invitation for an interview to tft today. She did, however, receive a Presidential scholarship to Chapman as a film production major, so it softens the blow!
However, I would really like to see her considered for general admission to UCLA. She is interested in communications as a major…maybe applying as a film minor in the future. She would also consider waiting until she is a graduate student for film school. She has a very strong application:
4.6 gpa
35 ACT
many ECs
Do you know if there are steps we can take to move her application into the college of letters and science at this point?

Dana37 - the best thing to do is call the admissions office and speak with them. If she isn’t admitted to TFT then I believe there’s a way to appeal the decision and be reviewed for admission to CAS, but that takes place after decisions come out. I’m not sure if they can move her application to CAS before decisions are out. If her heart is set on UCLA no matter what, she can also apply to transfer into TFT as a junior.

Congrats on Chapman! It is a great school and they have a brand new facility that is absolutely beautiful.

@Inic817- Thank you so much for your reply! This is such a long and nerve wracking process! It really helps to get advice from someone at TFT.

I called admissions and was told that interviews are ongoing. The woman I spoke to said we could change her first choice major and request the application be moved out of TFT, but she was not able to give me a time frame as to when to consider “cutting our losses” and making that decision. I know they probably don’t want to divulge when exactly interview requests are complete, but it is so frustrating to be in this position.

Any advice on when you think a freshman applicant should give up on TFT and try to have her application reviewed under a different major?

As far as I know, all the interviewees have been selected and notified, and that interviews will take place 2/19-2/21. The admissions office probably isn’t able to confirm or deny anything until the official decisions for UCLA come out in a few months.

If she wasn’t contacted for an interview, then her chances of being admitted are, unfortunately, slim-to-none. If she’s determined to go to UCLA anyway, then I would suggest changing her major. If there’s no deadline to move the application, then you could wait another week just to make sure TFT won’t send her a last-minute interview invite (although this is unlikely).

She can apply into TFT again as a junior or apply to the film minor. Many intro film classes are also open to non-majors, and there are always tons of events happening on and around campus that she can take part in.

Best of luck!

@Inic817- I cant thank you enough for the information- you’re the best! I think we will wait one week, and then ask to have her application moved. She is a very well rounded student, and I think she has the potential to succeed in the film industry even if she is not admitted as a freshman film major. I truly appreciate your advice and information. It is so hard to navigate this process without straight answers from the admissions office. Much thanks!

Omg!!! My daughter was just admitted as a film major at tft and she never had an interview!!! I am in total shock and disbelief! We had no idea this was a possibility without an interview. For any applicants next year (2017), now you know this can happen!!

Congrats to you and your daughter!!!
My son didn’t get in even after the interview. So, yes, you can make it without the interview.